Installing a jawset in a closed mouth form-By oldterryr
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 04:18:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Installing a jawset in a closed mouth form-By oldterryr « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Installing a jawset in a closed mouth form-By oldterryr  (Read 10579 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:43:23 PM »

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks.  In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer.  There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family.  For many months we read his Cancer Blogs.  Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help.  He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us.  His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I havent changed a word of the tutorials.  The methods described within are entirely Terrys.  I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website.  ;)

Enjoy, and God bless.  L

Edit:  Although I helped move this tutorial over here from Terry's website, I am by NO means an expert at taxidermy or Terry's methods.  If you have any questions about how to do something in a tutorial, please feel free to ask the question within this thread so that ALL SORTS of folks can help answer!  ;)  Thank you!  L

Step by Step Instructions for installing a jawset in a closed mouth form
1) this is a regular McKenzie pedestal that comes in two pieces - b4 we can open his mouth we have got to assemble the form

2 & 3 ) predrill the drywall screws into the form - you will need at least 3 screws

4) rough up both sides of form so Bondo can attach

5) mix a small amount of Bondo

6) coat both pieces with Bondo - isn't that a lovely blue color

7) googe together and sink screws

8) here's what it should look like completed

9) the pivot on the real animal is much further back than the end of the lip line - it is much closer to the center of the eye - on some animals it is even further back

10) I use a rapala filet knife to cut the devil out of my fingers and also to occasionally remove the bottom jaw

11) here is the rough angle we are going to cut - you always cut it at an angle - you are going to reattach and the angle has to be modified to butt up with the top half - you will have to modify this angle even more than what is shown

12) here is the bottom half removed

13 & 14) it is very rough - I take it on a grinder and smooth it out to start inserting jawset

15) this is a mohr jawset - the ridged part is always the roof of the mouth

16) lay the bottom half in place and trace around

17)  use a dremel with a barrel sander attachment and trial and error fit it in place

18) it fits (after 15 minutes or so)

19) fill the bottom of jawset with Bondo and slap in in jaw - set aside and we will turn ourselves to the top

20) the actual base of the throat on mammals sits directly under the brain (relatively) so we need to hollow out a bunch of foam to let everything fit in - marks show the area we will work on

21) here is the hollowed out top of form

22) draw a line around top for top of jawset to sit - after holes for both top and bottom of jawset you frequently have to modity the jawset itself - I do this with a bench grinder and can quickly shave off a little here and there

23) check the fit and Bondo this half in too

24) strength on a form not made for a jawset is sorely lacking - I take and drill a hole thru the bottom jawset - I will sink this into main body of form as I Bondo the two pieces of form back together - the tongue sets on top of the screw and is never seen

25 & 26) grind the angles so that they mesh and pin in place to see how everything looks

27) Bondo the two back together and sink screw at the same time - I use about a 6" drywall screw to make things REALLY SOLID

28) there is always (at least when I do it) a gap that needs to be closed in the corner of the mouth - I use apoxie sculpt and let set overnite

29) Time to put on mounting stand - Your next jawset will install much quicker.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:37:58 PM by Lisa M » Logged

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »

We know the photobucket pictures are down.  I've done what I can to fix it.  I am at a loss for anything else I can do.  Ken Edwards & Patrick J are working on it and I am very grateful to them.  I am hopeful that Terry can continue to teach future generations of taxidermists for many years to come.

Thank you for your patience.

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Installing a jawset in a closed mouth form-By oldterryr « previous next »
Jump to: