Instructions for floor/mantel habitat-by oldterryr
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 02:53:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Instructions for floor/mantel habitat-by oldterryr « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Instructions for floor/mantel habitat-by oldterryr  (Read 7325 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:48:52 PM »

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks.  In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer.  There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family.  For many months we read his Cancer Blogs.  Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help.  He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us.  His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I havent changed a word of the tutorials.  The methods described within are entirely Terrys.  I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website.  ;)

Enjoy, and God bless.  L

Step by step Instructions for floor/mantel habitat
Here is a quick, easy way to make a habitat that sets on the floor or mantel.  The first time you try it you will be successful.  That's my kind of learning curve!
1) here's a plain jane bobcat - lets liven the mount up a little - one nice thing about this technique is that mount doesn't have to be dry to finish habitat - I mounted this cat the day b4 I wrote these pages - once he dries in a couple of weeks everything will be done at once

2) Here is our rock material - 3" pink insulation

3) I am partial to snow scenes - we are going to have him sitting on a rock with branches around him

4) Here's another view from above

5) I have laid the branches on both sides and settled on the 'look' I want

6) Scallop the edges of the 'rock'

7) Here's another look at the edge

8) Where the branch touches the foam we are going to cut a hole and then fill with Bondo after everything is finished

9) Perfect fit!!

10) We are going to place some smaller rocks on larger rock - cut out any size chunk

11) Scallop the edges and all around - caulk the underside of smaller rock and screw to larger rock - I leave the animal on larger rock with the branches also present - I work around the larger scheme

12) He is looking good

13) Here is the habitat completed b4 finishing

14) Pull off the branches so we can apply our finishing colors

15) Mix up a small amount of 2 part foam

16) Foam everything that looks manmade - the foam will also glue everything together

17) Here's another view

18) We are going to physically screw the bobcat to the rock - take a scrap of wood roughly the length of where the bottom of the bobcat is - you need this piece so that the screws have something to stop them from pulling thru the foam

19) Notice the two holes in foam - I laid the bobcat on show side and punched holes in foam from top down to make sure where I put the brace (wood) would line up on cat - trace around  your piece of wood

20) Notch out foam with dremel tool and Bondo wood in place

21) It is now time to finish rock - I am using 3 colors: black - almond - orange

22) Knock the pink down with a LIGHT coat of black

23) Next coat is almond - Since we are doing a snow scene we want predominantly a light base color - this is a HEAVY COAT - the pink should be more or less gone by now

24) Spray the high points with orange - this is a stark contrast and when covered later on provides
character to habitat

25) This is spray stone - for this example we are using gotham gray

26) Cover everything up with this color

27) Let spray stone dry (if cool it takes a long time) and then seal with triple thick - any clear lacquer will work

28) Fill in the holes we cut for anchoring the branches and fill with Bondo - next two steps go with this one

29) Artificial snow available from McKenzie

30) Before Bondo sets up sprinkle snow into wet Bondo - you will need to change the color of the Bondo so this works great

31) Branches are anchored and excess Bondo (Bondo showing) has been covered up with snow

32) Here is the way I get snow to stick - Spray branch heavy with triple thick - the shine you see is the heavy coat - they make quite a few products to adhere the artificial snow - i find the fewer products I can keep in the shop the better

33) Drizzle the snow on lacquer when it is wet and it will stick

34) Continue putting the snow on everywhere you want it -  After it has set for ahwile (30 seconds) hold your aerosal can about 3 feet away and drift the lacquer on top to seal it in place - if you want to build up a lot of snow glue cotton balls on habitat and cover with artificial snow - this is very effective

35) How's does habitat look?

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »

We know the photobucket pictures are down.  I've done what I can to fix it.  I am at a loss for anything else I can do.  Ken Edwards & Patrick J are working on it and I am very grateful to them.  I am hopeful that Terry can continue to teach future generations of taxidermists for many years to come.

Thank you for your patience.

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Instructions for floor/mantel habitat-by oldterryr « previous next »
Jump to: