Mounting a Shoulder Coyote-by oldterryr
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2019, 01:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Mounting a Shoulder Coyote-by oldterryr « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Mounting a Shoulder Coyote-by oldterryr  (Read 18989 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:51:29 PM »

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks.  In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer.  There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family.  For many months we read his Cancer Blogs.  Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help.  He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us.  His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I havent changed a word of the tutorials.  The methods described within are entirely Terrys.  I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website.  ;)

Enjoy, and God bless.  L

Mounting a Shoulder  Coyote
1) well we gotta get started we need two things:  a cape and a form this particular form is a McKenzie wall manniken its a little ragged looking cause its been floating around under my workbench for about 6 months the one you order definitely will look better I tan all of my coyote capes I do this so they will flesh easier I use krotann to treat skins and b4 I mount I rinse in fabric softener for that clean minty smell I learned that trick off of George on taxidermy.net seriously the hides are so sweet smelling they make you sickbut they dont smell like a coyote I bondo all of the ears this saves a ton of time and a ton of money there are very few anatomically correct forms on the market - McKenzie, flynn's and the jonas open mouth form are the only 3 to buy - EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUNK

2) Let's prep the form for mounting - the first thing we are going to do is cut the nose off of the form

3) Notch in front of each eye

4) Cut a notch above the lip

5) Here's another look at it

6) The lips do not extend far enough back on any form I have seen - it should extend to the dot marked by the arrow

7) Here is the lip slot cut - I use a small bit on a dremel tool - cut a circle at the very back where the top and bottom would normally bunch

8) Put the form on the mounting stand and put the eyes in with sculptall

9) Drill out to large holes beneath where ears will sit

10) Cut a vertical notch under nose (form is shown upside down) - the skin will be tucked in this slot

11) Test fit the cape

12) Pull cape back off and fill holes with potter's clay

13) This is what I use for form glue - available at Wal-Mart

14) Take two pieces of clay slightly smaller than a golf ball - lift skin and place these under base of ear

15) #15 is missing in Terrys site
16) Rough set the ears - you will go back later and fix them

17) Peel the skin back and pin in place out of the way - if skin fits tight this isnt always possible

18) Clay the eyes - make sure there is a ridge that comes down the nose - for details on how to put the ridge after tucking eyes - see 20a

19) Another look

20) Mix up some sculptall and put where the nose on form was

21) Fill the slots about mouthline with clay

22) Cover the face with adhesive

23) Tuck the skin under nose and more or less push nose into sculptall (it is still soft) - only tuck about 1" of skin under nose - do not tuck the rest of the top - I always tuck the bottom first and then the top - I have found you get a much better look that way

24) Tuck the very front of bottom lip

25) Find the very back of lip slot (where circle cut was made) and tuck from back forwards

26) Go back and tuck top

27) Lipline is looking good - leave alone for now

28) Invert inner eyelid skin - if this has dried out mist with water

29) Tuck the eye - as I tuck and place my hand above or below lid that I am tucking - this keeps the clay from moving as I am sliding the skin under the clay

29.5) This is the basic outline of what most mammal eyes look like - notice the parallel lines of lids

30) Rough tucking is done - form the ridge on nose/eye by squeezing the clay that was placed there between two fingers

31) To finish the lipline push down with your thumb - barely any black will show from the side

32) Here's how it should look

33) Push ears vertically down and 'googe' clay at base of ears and clay in form together - manipulate ear bases till they look like reference

34) Card the ears with screen wire and paper clips

35) Model the nose to reference and then place something in nostrils until dry (about 3 hours)

36) Pull skin back and apply adhesive to back of form - pull skin back on and staple to back of form

37) Ready to dry

38) You should be checking the eyes 3-4 times for the first couple of days to make sure they are drying correctly - notice the parallel look of the top and bottom of eye

39)After eye is dry take a small amount of sculptall and fill in corner of eye

40) As is so often the case the nose has dried and shrunk

41) We are going to fill it in with sculptall - the sculptall will be too shiny for the nose - mix baby powder into it and it will dull the natural sheen - after you place on nose take an old sock and push into soft sculptall to give it texture

42) Here is the finished lipline

43) Go back and paint the interior of the eyelids with payne's gray - dont try to keep it off of glass

44) Paint the nose the same color

45) This is the stuff that makes eyes sparkle - available from McKenzie

46) Take a clean brush and paint on acetone to break up paint- follow up with brite eyes

47) Paint both inside of eye and nose with modgpodege and let dry - perfect sheen

48) Missing in web site   
49) Use chocolate brown to paint inside of ears

50) Ears definitely need repainting

51) To paint ears I use a q-tip - squeeze off almost all of the paint b4 putting on and you will get a translucent look

52) Completed eye

53) Completed mount

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
topline
Bronze Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »

thanks Lisa for posting this, it was a big help. Wish i could have known him.  RIP
Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »

All the pics are down! ):

A single pair of hands at work accomplishes more than a billion clasped in prayer.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »

They know. Lisa is in the process of fixing that.

Everyone has an opinion........
Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:36:49 PM »

Oh good. :D

A single pair of hands at work accomplishes more than a billion clasped in prayer.
7-Point
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 03:36:39 PM »

good, this is one i wanna see

\"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.  --Vince Lombardi

Life is Simple: Eat. Sleep. Fish.
RICK P
Platinum Member

Let'er Buck

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »

Good timing, I'm mounting one after Christmas.
Oops, I mean after holiday?
Nope, doesn't sound right. After CHRISTMAS... (just ruffling feathers)

Looking forward to the pictures, Thanks Lisa

Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 07:41:46 PM »

It's absolutely Christmas Rick.  ;)

We know the photobucket pictures are down.  I've done what I can to fix it.  I am at a loss for anything else I can do.  Ken Edwards & Patrick J are working on it and I am very grateful to them.  I am hopeful that Terry can continue to teach future generations of taxidermists for many years to come.

Thank you for your patience.

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

Wildlife Fever Taxidermy
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 08:27:25 PM »

i have some of those tutorials saved if i can be of any help

C.M.R  Wildlife Fever Taxidermy  Waterford Michigan
Licensed Taxidermist,Fur Bearer, Fur Buyer , Manufacturer & Processor

Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:18:44 AM »

ABSOLFREAKIN'LUTELY...Patrick...Ken?  I'll holler at you in pm's so you're sure to see this.  ;)  You're hired Wildlife!  :)  YAY!

Wildlife Fever Taxidermy
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 01:37:12 AM »

ABSOLFREAKIN'LUTELY...Patrick...Ken?  I'll holler at you in pm's so you're sure to see this.  ;)  You're hired Wildlife!  :)  YAY!

when do i start ? and what is pay rate ? any benefits ? 401 k ?  LOL ..........

C.M.R  Wildlife Fever Taxidermy  Waterford Michigan
Licensed Taxidermist,Fur Bearer, Fur Buyer , Manufacturer & Processor

aspenangler (Shane)
Gold Member

B+______><(((>______><(((>

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 01:47:22 AM »

The sooner the better. I'm looking forward to seeing this tutorial

Proud member of the PTA, OTA and WVTA Board Member
Bowkill
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »

Was digging around the net and found his tutorial on another site with the pics, http://www.hidetanning.net/CoyoteTaxidermy1.html

Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »

That's great!  Now we can re-post the pics!
THANKS SO MUCH BOW!!!

RumRunner
Platinum Member

Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 10:59:14 PM »

Was digging around the net and found his tutorial on another site with the pics, http://www.hidetanning.net/CoyoteTaxidermy1.html
thank you so much bowkill

sunrise on the Tooth of Time, Cimmaron, NM

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Mounting a Shoulder Coyote-by oldterryr « previous next »
Jump to: