Basic Modification of a form-by oldterryr
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2019, 09:59:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Basic Modification of a form-by oldterryr « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Basic Modification of a form-by oldterryr  (Read 6366 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:54:42 PM »

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks.  In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer.  There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family.  For many months we read his Cancer Blogs.  Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help.  He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us.  His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I havent changed a word of the tutorials.  The methods described within are entirely Terrys.  I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website.  ;)

Enjoy, and God bless.  L

Basic Modification of a form
1) this is the form we are going to modify - customer had an odd bear (per size) and closest form needed extensive modification - I am ONLY going to show length and head modification

2) put horizontal marks on form so you at least have an idea how it needs to go back together

3) I am going to add 7" to the form - that is a lot -  you need something to hold the two pieces of form together - this is 1/2" pvc pipe - if the gap isnt very big I just use drywall screws

4) you will need to drill holes the same size as outside diameter of pipe

5) Slide both pieces of form together and align horizontal marks

6) Get something to wrap around form and cover hole - some people use plastic but I have never been able to make plastic work for me - these are sheets of paper taped together

7) the hole is covered

8) Leave a slot in top to pour in foam

9) Mix up two part foam - b4 you pour the foam in let it start to expand - it becomes much thicker and wont run out the bottom this way

10) This was a big job and I had to pour three times

11) Length is now modified - if a girth change is needed (it would be on this dramatic of change) go ahead and cut and gut it

12) if surface isnt smooth I smooth over holes with bondo - this method of smoothing WILL NOT WORK if you are working with a short hair animal like mountain lion

13) Customer wants head turned - notice mark where I will cut

14) I cut head off and held severed head above body and got the angle I needed to cut

15) Roughed up both sides to be reconnected

16) Get everything ready by starting 6" drywall screws in head - mix up bondo

17) Make your other  modifications needed - Slap 'em together and you're ready to mount

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »

We know the photobucket pictures are down.  I've done what I can to fix it.  I am at a loss for anything else I can do.  Ken Edwards & Patrick J are working on it and I am very grateful to them.  I am hopeful that Terry can continue to teach future generations of taxidermists for many years to come.

Thank you for your patience.

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Basic Modification of a form-by oldterryr « previous next »
Jump to: