Tear duct on deer-by oldterryr
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2019, 05:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Tear duct on deer-by oldterryr « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tear duct on deer-by oldterryr  (Read 18463 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:08:44 PM »

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks.  In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer.  There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family.  For many months we read his Cancer Blogs.  Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help.  He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us.  His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I havent changed a word of the tutorials.  The methods described within are entirely Terrys.  I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website.  ;)

Enjoy, and God bless.  L

Tear duct on deer 
1) probably one of the most frustrating things for a newcomer is getting the tear duct to stay in form as it dries - i learned (and modified) this method shown here from another taxidermist - first step after hollowing out slot for duct to sit in is to drill small holes on both sides of
slot

2) another shot

3) getting the duct to stay where it is put is a two step procedure for me - mix up some 30 minute epoxy - any duration shorter than this might set up b4 you get to tucking the tear duct

4) put form on its side and push the 30 minute epoxy into slot

5) build a dam on both sides of slot with critter clay - the small holes that you predrilled will help hold the clay in place

6) push tear duct into slot in form....

7) ......on both sides - go ahead and tuck eyelids

8) After i have deer mounted i go back and pinch the clay dam together - you have made a partial bridge over the top of the tear duct and it cant dry back - it has no place to go

9) here's the other side

10) Tear duct ready to dry - lets retouch eye and go watch csi - check back a couple more tomorrows and make sure everything is still kosher

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Artistry by 10
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial this will come in very handy.
DZach
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:42:34 PM »

Thanks Lisa! These tuits. are really helpful to us newbies.
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:15:33 AM »

You're welcome DZ.  Terry is the one who did the work though.  I think it's awesome that he's still here watching over us.  :)  Warms my heart.  ;)  I'm so grateful to Maggie for letting them come over here too.  ;)  She's a peach.  :)

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

rawrockkills
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:32:39 PM »

any way these pictures can be made active again?
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:25:28 AM »

I'm trying to hack back into the account...zero success because I'm not a hacker.  I set it up to go to an e-mail account I had for the Davis family...so I can't even request that the password be sent to me.  >:(

My old laptop took a digger 2 months ago...my computer guy may be able to help me get the actual pics off of my hard drive but that won't happen at least until the weekend.  When I get them, I will create a new photobucket account for the tutorials.  I will put the password in the tutorials so anyone can reactivate the account if it should time out again.  I can only trust that no one will abuse the account.  ;)

I just don't have enough hours in a day or enough of me to do everything that needs doing.

Your patience is appreciated.  ;)

rawrockkills
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »

hey thanks lisa, i got time:) i just saw this and thought how great of a resource it would be to have back! thanks again
antlerman
Platinum Member

NTA Life Member #0118

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »

Nice Lisa. Not only is it a good tutorial, but a very thoughtful gesture as well.  Peace
AfterLifeTaxidermy
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »

Very nice Lisa.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Terry about different issues I had over the years and used his website many times. He was very informative and never minded a bit to help walk me through anything. Thanks Terry and God Bless. Missed by many.
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 09:35:43 PM »

Very nice Lisa.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Terry about different issues I had over the years and used his website many times. He was very informative and never minded a bit to help walk me through anything. Thanks Terry and God Bless. Missed by many.

Exactly.  I'm working on it folks.  ;)

Sarge
Platinum Member

A little too much Lord *hic*

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:42:49 PM »

Patrick J knows how and he and Ken are working on it as well

Check with them Lisa your all doing the same thing.

Jeff

Education always costs money even at the School of Hard Knocks!
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 09:44:22 PM »

Patrick J knows how and he and Ken are working on it as well

Check with them Lisa your all doing the same thing.

Jeff

Thank God.

Sarge
Platinum Member

A little too much Lord *hic*

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,187337.0.html

Sorry forgot this in the post

Jeff

Education always costs money even at the School of Hard Knocks!
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »

We know the photobucket pictures are down.  I've done what I can to fix it.  I am at a loss for anything else I can do.  Ken Edwards & Patrick J are working on it and I am very grateful to them.  I am hopeful that Terry can continue to teach future generations of taxidermists for many years to come.

Thank you for your patience.

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Tear duct on deer-by oldterryr « previous next »
Jump to: