Modify a Bobcat-by oldterryr
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2019, 05:47:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Modify a Bobcat-by oldterryr « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Modify a Bobcat-by oldterryr  (Read 6616 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks.  In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer.  There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family.  For many months we read his Cancer Blogs.  Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help.  He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us.  His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I havent changed a word of the tutorials.  The methods described within are entirely Terrys.  I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website.  ;)

Enjoy, and God bless.  L

Modify a Bobcat
1) a bobcat on an elk antler makes an impressive mount - fabulous for your showroom or as an option for a mount - here is what you need
1) 2 x2
2) elk antler
3) laying down form
sometimes it takes a lot of cutting an guttin to get it to look right on the antler - this one was pretty easy to get laying correctly

2) cut the 2 x 2 at least 18" long - it is going to hang up 16 centers and you need this much extra

3) i go ahead and paint it dark brown to start with

4) hold antler up against board

5) we will put the hangers on last but it needs to be supported on back board - put screw in at an angle or when everything is mounted you may not be able to get them out without cutting them off with a long bladed sawsall

6) after you get board up on backstop lay the antler against it and mark where screw holes need to be

7) screw it together

8) lay form on antler and see what modifications need to be made - as you can see this fits not bad to start with - you have to look at the cats (fox or coyote) anatomy and see how their legs would support them if they were laying there

9) lets move the front leg up

10) heres what it looks like b4 we start

11) here are the two pivots on this leg - we can modify one or both

12) the bend we are going to make is at the elbow - break or cut it there

13) move it up like the cat was supporting itself

14) front half looks good

15) one back leg doesnt need anything - it hits perfectly

16) left rear leg would either hang vertically or be back on back tine - here is where it would pivot

17) whack it off

18) bend it into position and screw in place

19) screw front leg in place

20 & 21) do the same with the back leg

22) i mix up apoxie sculpt and fill in voids maintaining a realistic curve

23) same on back leg - you may need to grind screw heads off - i try to countersink them so nothing is needed

24) its ready to mount - like i said earlier this is a pretty easy modification but i am trying to show that there is nothing to be afraid of when a leg or head is in the wrong position

25)finished on antler

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »

We know the photobucket pictures are down.  I've done what I can to fix it.  I am at a loss for anything else I can do.  Ken Edwards & Patrick J are working on it and I am very grateful to them.  I am hopeful that Terry can continue to teach future generations of taxidermists for many years to come.

Thank you for your patience.

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Modify a Bobcat-by oldterryr « previous next »
Jump to: