Setting Deer Eyes-by oldterryr
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 09:08:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Setting Deer Eyes-by oldterryr « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Setting Deer Eyes-by oldterryr  (Read 18328 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks.  In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer.  There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family.  For many months we read his Cancer Blogs.  Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help.  He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us.  His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I havent changed a word of the tutorials.  The methods described within are entirely Terrys.  I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website.  ;)

Enjoy, and God bless.  L

Setting Deer Eyes
1) this is the best example of a deer eye I can find - it is at the start of the eye section in the McKenzie catalog - if you make them look like this you cant be far off.........................

2) this is a research manniken - i change the eye angle on all of their deer forms - i have drilled it out with 1 1/4" spade bit

3) front view

4) i set eyes the night b4 i mount with epoxy sculpt

5) fill hole

6) level pupil and stick eye in

7) use a straight edge along side of face - eye should stick out slightly and touch straight edge - notice the small gap between form and straight edge

8) use a very small amount of clay for bottom lid

9) smooth out

10) again very little clay for top brow

11) top and bottom finished per reference

12) front view

13 & 14) put in crease and your are done - do final adjustments after tucking

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:27:11 PM »

I do not know why it's saying image #9 has been moved or deleted.  That I'm aware of, it wasn't.  Here it is as an attachment instead. 

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

hounddoggy
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »

ive never understood why so many make that crease!!! its so much easier to do after the hide is in pace with a sculpting tool.
timbertrophies
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:56:50 AM »

ive never understood why so many make that crease!!! its so much easier to do after the hide is in pace with a sculpting tool.

its not your tutorial, show a little respect for Terry and his work!
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:04:15 PM »

Timber...we all have our own ways.  Terry didn't begrudge anyone doing things in their own way when he was alive.  I'm sure hound meant no disrespect.

I like putting the crease in there hound.  Yeah, folks don't have to...you can just tuck things into the soft clay...but it's nice being able to feel the dip in the clay...helps me line things up better. 

To each their own.  ;)

Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 07:43:28 PM »

We know the photobucket pictures are down.  I've done what I can to fix it.  I am at a loss for anything else I can do.  Ken Edwards & Patrick J are working on it and I am very grateful to them.  I am hopeful that Terry can continue to teach future generations of taxidermists for many years to come.

Thank you for your patience.

racksandriverstaxidermy
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:06:08 PM »

Thanks for posting that
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Setting Deer Eyes-by oldterryr « previous next »
Jump to: