Tanning small mammals with krowtann or lutanf
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2019, 07:35:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Tanning small mammals with krowtann or lutanf « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tanning small mammals with krowtann or lutanf  (Read 12797 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks.  In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer.  There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family.  For many months we read his Cancer Blogs.  Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help.  He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us.  His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I havent changed a word of the tutorials.  The methods described within are entirely Terrys.  I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website.  ;)

Enjoy, and God bless.  L

(soft) Tanning small mammals with krowtann and lutanf - this is the way I do it - others do it differently and get the same results

Krowtann

1) skin animal

2) rough flesh - you do not need to take off anything except big chunks of flesh - skin will tan thru membrane, fat  that is left on animal

3) throw in krowtann per instructions

4) you can leave skin in krowtann indefinitely (months at least) - you do not need to check ph or salt skin b4 tanning

5) neutralize

6) let hang for a couple hours to get rid of excess moisture or spin in washer

7) flesh thoroughly and remove everything - i always turn ears and bondo them b4 they dry up - if you dont fix ears they will dry all weird and unshapely - degrease if necessary

8)  skin should be moderately dry b4 next step

9) oil with good quality tanning oil - i have used 3 or 4 and cant tell the difference between them - let skin set overnite folded

10) wipe off any excess oil that may be puddled

11) hang up to dry where air will hit flesh side

12) legs will start to dry first - physically stretch the skin - this is called breaking - on small mammals this is easilly done by hand - some people will work the skin over an edge of table or tool made specifically for this task

13) keep checking skin at least once a day and break areas as they dry - as you stretch an area it will turn white - these areas are done - over a period of 4-6 days the entire skin will have dried out - as you work on skin it will get softer and softer - tumble to clean hair and get rid of any excess oil

14) krowtann is a miracle product but is not designed for soft tanning - it does a fine job however on mammals up to coyote size

Lutanf

1) skin animal

2) rough flesh and get most everything off of animal skin

3) salt overnite but do not let skin completely dry out

4) pickle with safety acid

5) neutralize

6) spin or hang hide to get water out

7) do final fleshing and degrease if necessary

8) put in lutanf no longer than 12 hours

9) rinse out hide quickly

10) go to other column and follow steps 8 to the end

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Kangaroo

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »

I left my skin in the salt for too long, is this going to be a major issue since I let it dry out completely? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks
Redwolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:23:13 AM »

I left my skin in the salt for too long, is this going to be a major issue since I let it dry out completely? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks

Just rehydrate it in a salt/water bath for a few hours or until it's softened. I use 1 pound of salt per gallon of water (some use just a handful of salt per gallon, and some don't use salt at all). Bag it up and refrigerate over night and put it in the pickle the next day.

Everyone has an opinion........
snowhare
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 04:32:43 PM »

USE FORMIC ACID ALWYA S  GOOD  ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Tanning small mammals with krowtann or lutanf « previous next »
Jump to: