Phar Lap and Louis Paul Jonas!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 04:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49576 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Taxidermy History  |  Topic: Phar Lap and Louis Paul Jonas! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Phar Lap and Louis Paul Jonas!  (Read 21851 times)
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

WWW Email
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:18 PM »

I've put together a series of pictures of more of the work of Louis Paul Jonas, from both the AMNH and his own studio.

First, a little background on the man himself ...

Louis Paul Jonas (1894-1971)

A native of Budapest, Hungary, Jonas immigrated at age fourteen to work with his older brothers at their taxidermy studio in Denver, Colorado. Jonas was later selected to assist Carl Akeley at the AMNH, and attended the National Academy while in New York. Jonas assisted Akeley in the mounting of the African elephants and contributed taxidermy works to both the African Hall and the Hall of Asian Mammals, where, most notably, he mounted the central pair of Asian elephants. In 1930 Jonas established his own studio.

Since the subject of his unbelievable mount of Phar Lap was mentioned in another post, I thought I would start with that.

Phar Lap while still back in Australia.  Here he is "ridden" by "Cappy" Telford, son of Phar Lap's original trainer, Harry Telford.

Let's begin where Phar Lap ended ... in the winner's circle of the taking the Aqua Caliente Handicap, with his second and last, trainer ... Tommy Woodcock.  After the Aqua Caliente, Phar Lap fell mysteriously ill, and died.  A mystery that is still hotly debated!  Theories have come and gone, and keep on coming ... but the mystery remains!

This is Phar Lap as he stood in the Melbourne Museum.  He has since been moved to a newer museum.

After measuring, making a death mask, other feature castings, and skinning, Phar Lap's skeleton was cleaned, preserved and set up for an armature.  That's Louis Paul Jonas packing out the horse's rib cage with paper.

Workers begin to remove the plaster mold from the clay model of Phar Lap.

Removing the head section from the clay model.  I nice way to insure a perfect reproduction of a truly individual horse!

Take it from someone who has laid up his fair share of paper mannikins ... you do not hold the mold up like this!  But ... the camera needed the shot, and back then, cameras were not very portable!

Louis Paul Jonas placing surface veins on the Phar Lap mannikin.

The Phar Lap mannikin, shellacked and ready to receive the tanned hide.

Hide paste is liberally applied to the prepped mannikin, and as well, applied to the hide!

Phar Lap's tanned hide is carefully placed on the mannikin.

The final finishing touches are applied by Mr. Jonas.

Phar Lap is brought around the track to where an eager crowd awaited the arrival of "The World's Greatest Galloper!"  But first ...

Some well earned publicity photos with the man who "brought him back to life" ... Mr. Louis Paul Jonas -- Taxidermist Extraordinaire!

The great Phar Lap ... a great success in museum taxidermy method ... bid his final farewell at Belmont Racetrack, before being shipped back "home" to Australia, where he was already mourned as a National Hero!

One of Louis Paul's many projects at AMNH was the Indian Gaur ... a massive breed of wild cattle standing some six-feet high at the shoulder!

Armature set up ...

Modeling the massive clay body ...

The final mount in its Diorama!

I hope you enjoyed this.

John.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:38:23 AM by John Bellucci » Logged

Conservatism Is A Social Disease!
Nyati
Platinum Member

I love tahr huntin

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:52:45 AM »

Cool post. Phar Lap was born and bred here in New Zealand and we've got the skeleton in a museum in Wellington. Aussie got the mount which looks to be a real work of art.

Proud member of the NZTA and life member of the UTA
Samantha.
Gold Member

I'm an Australian.

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:10 AM »

That mount is my earliest child hood memory of our Museum.
His heart is in the Canberra mueum too.
Outwoods Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »

great post'

What Happened to common sense.

Outwoods-taxidermy.com
deputystew (John)
Silver Member

06 Mulie

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »

Great Post!  I'm really enjoying these looks back at the greats!  Keep them coming!

Sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand....
Codi
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »

wow that is amazing!

Nyati
Platinum Member

I love tahr huntin

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 02:17:37 AM »

I've just been to the Te Papa museum here in Wellington and thought I'd take a photo of Phar Lap's skeleton to share. 

* Phar Lap 2.jpg (31.5 kB, 448x336 - viewed 6120 times.)

Proud member of the NZTA and life member of the UTA
Jared Adams
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »

that was excellent, what an art!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:06:18 PM by Jared Adams » Logged
Russ of V.O.W.T
Platinum Member

my Ken Edwards moment

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »

now THAT was a truly amazing and informative post John, thanks for putting that up for those of us who had never seen it could learn from it, Russ

Visions of Wildlife Taxidermy Studio
102 Laray St.
Cassville Missouri 65625
JSeiler
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »

Wow Jonas was one amazing artist thanks for sharing john. Is this the same guy wow did those elephants you posted awhile back?

1995 23.2' Sportcraft WAC Fishmaster powered by a 6 cylinder Volvo Penta w/ duo prop :)
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »

Yes.  Louis Paul Jonas mounted the Asian Elephants for the American Museum of natural history.  He also mounted the Asian Gaur, seen in the additional photos here.  Those Asian Elephants are really something else!  The African herd done by Akely and Rockwell are no slouches, but there is something extra in the lifelikness exhibited by those two Asian Elephants!  I'm glad everyone has enjoyed the posting!  

Nyati ... thanks for the image of Phar Lap's skeleton!  Truly inspired!

John.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:40:58 AM by John Bellucci » Logged

Conservatism Is A Social Disease!
SCT
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 09:21:45 PM »

WOW!!! That is way cool. What great and time consuming work. Those guys studied anatomy like no one I know. I wonder what he was paid for the whole job?? Thanks for sharing, Steve
Ron B
Platinum Member

Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »

That makes me wonder why I even try.   Incredable!!

Ron sent some strange personal messages, follows me around, monitors when I go into my profile, and even knows when I delete a post!  Two Dots
Rowland Ward

Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »

John,
Is the bald man in photos 10 and 11 John Jonas?Another of the brothers.
RW 
franchi612
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 09:43:50 PM »

Thank you for the beautiful post. It brings tears to my eyes. I've always admired Phar Lap and would give anything to go back in time and see him perform. A truly amazing animal he must have been, especially in light of the modern American TBs that many can barely muster 1 1/16th without a breakdown of some sort. I think it is wonderful his memory has been so artfully preserved for generations to come. He will  never be forgotten.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Taxidermy History  |  Topic: Phar Lap and Louis Paul Jonas! « previous next »
Jump to: