My next project ... (dream on)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 20, 2020, 05:07:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: My next project ... (dream on) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: My next project ... (dream on)  (Read 14885 times)
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

Email
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:00:10 PM »

Don't I wish. This critter was alive yesterday. Expired about an hour after it was discovered. 40+ feet long. 18+ tons. I need a bigger truck to get this home. :)

By the way. This is a juvenile fin whale. It's very underweight and was probably very sick. The fin whale is the second largest whale in the world after the blue whale. Poor thing is very trapped in ice now. Will be a good month before they can think about moving it probably. Going back tomorrow to take more pictures and watch the autopsy if it happens. :)

There is some detail in this that you can see in the larger picture. (right click, view image)

Da Greek Yooper
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:32:46 PM »

Sushi anyone ;D

Some people are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Xtreme Skull Cleaning
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:05:58 PM »

very big tank my bugs would love that
Sarge
Platinum Member

A little too much Lord *hic*

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:31:14 AM »

Dude that would take all of our bugs combined and we will do it at Terri's house she wants it she can have the smell the will come with it.   ;D

Jeff

Education always costs money even at the School of Hard Knocks!
darkbloodwyvern
Silver Member

We've been sent here to raise hell and cause chaos

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:34:15 AM »

WOW!  that would make a neat display!!  you could set it up in the secret subterranian hangar- to the whale skeleton, robin!

Into the great wide open. Under them skies of blue
Out in the great wide open,A rebel without a clue
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
RockinR
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 04:40:17 AM »

How much B.O. do you think it would take to whiten that skull? And would it be easier to use beetles or maceration with that?  But would be great for a collection, if you had room to display it.
tariadamar
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 05:01:11 AM »

hahaha that would be cool. is it every one take a bone and we put it back together when we clean that one bone.
craig_cougar03
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »

hahaha that would be cool. is it every one take a bone and we put it back together when we clean that one bone.

don't forget to take notes where the bones come from, lol, always hate when ya end up with extra pieces when trying to put a puzzle together

They say the mind bends and twists in order to deal with the horrors of life, sometimes it bends so much, it snaps...........
Bugz 2 Bonz .com
Gold Member

Skull Cleaning / Central Ohio

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »

Just get 7 People on here with Bugz in Chest freezers . Cut the ends off freezers butt them together . Dump it in . Problem solved. HA ha  ;D

Bugz 2 Bonz Skull Cleaning                          www.Bugz2Bonz.com
Bonnie ( Allistair )
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »

LOL the picture loaded slow at first, and I thought the back end was the head until it finished downloading. 

I've seen whale skulls.. they don't much resemble anything you'd expect to find inside a whale head.... very confusing alien shape and forms!  Kinda neat though.

[img width= height=]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/dearevolution/mewhalelong.jpg[/img]
Whale for LS, anyone?  http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,131557.0.html
craig_cougar03
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:55:21 PM »

Just get 7 People on here with Bugz in Chest freezers . Cut the ends off freezers butt them together . Dump it in . Problem solved. HA ha  ;D
don't think the chest freezers would be wide enough though, lol

They say the mind bends and twists in order to deal with the horrors of life, sometimes it bends so much, it snaps...........
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »

If you right click on the picture and select "View Image" you'll see why it loads so slow. It's a pretty big photo. A lot of my pictures are actually huge and not very user friendly for dial up.

At 40 feet long, I think we'd need a whole tractor trailer full of bugs. Then there is the 17 assorted tons of extra flesh that needs to be removed first. :)  I have a couple of whale skulls already. Acquired before they became untouchable. One skull is a little over 4 feet long. I actually removed it from a rotten carcass and buried it high in a sand dune. I left it there for a year and it was pretty darn clean when I went back and dug it up later. :)

craig_cougar03
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »

that would be awesome to do one though

Bonnie ( Allistair )
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »

Sea wolf! LOL.. WHAT!  I can't imagine just strolling along the dirty beach in Revere and bumping into a friggin whale carcass!!!   You must have done some travelling at some point?  Pretty dang neat anyway.. what a fantastic find!!

[img width= height=]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/dearevolution/mewhalelong.jpg[/img]
Whale for LS, anyone?  http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,131557.0.html
RD Martin
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 07:31:36 PM »

but did you poke it with a stick ???

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: My next project ... (dream on) « previous next »
Jump to: