"WINGTIP" # 37 Skinning wings another method
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2019, 12:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: "WINGTIP" # 37 Skinning wings another method « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: "WINGTIP" # 37 Skinning wings another method  (Read 26101 times)
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:32:46 AM »

Here's a few pics of a method several people inquired about on another posting. Instead of stripping the secondaries off the bone and inverting OR making a incision under the wing here's another way. Work the skin down to the elbow remove the meat, then ''open up'' the area around the secondaries BUT do not strip the secondaries loose, cut the base of the tendons free from the elbow area and grab and pull the tendon toward the wingtip. Borax will give needed ''traction''. After you pull the tendons and meat away the next step is to scrape the remaining flesh and fat out between the bones with a modeling tool kinda like scraping fish cheeks clean, The following pics explain it visually, GOOD LUCK
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:09:23 PM by wingman » Logged

Offering Retail and WHOLESALE Bird taxidermy and Training courses

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

https://plus.google.com/photos/113468900604901419826/albums

Philippians 4:13
Jan George
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:20:47 AM »

I use this method also.  It's much better than detaching the secondaries.  Even an experienced taxidermist who knows where to put the secondaries back in place (if they are detached) can't always make them stay there!
Fishcrzy
Silver Member

The Winner

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 05:01:05 AM »

Wingman, that's how I envisoined it.  I have to to skin out tommorrow.  I'm gonna give it a whirl.

I am only envious of the person that catches more fish than I.
Adam
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 10:50:50 AM »

I am assuming this works on small birds as well, just need to be patient and careful??  I am definitely going to try this.
KAT
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 11:08:12 AM »

that's the method I use, takes alittle longer but it's worth it.
Cuts75
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 06:17:09 PM »

That's the way I've been doing it since 1999. Will that method work on a Goose? I think ther's some meat up past the wrist also. Will be doing my first Canada goose soon. Just need to make what would be the best way to get her done right. Not to sure about the size of rod if I go flying mount. I only see the heavy stuff in the black annealed wire. Pat, California
Matt
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 09:22:44 PM »

Great post wingman, thank you for sharing. I have always detatched the secondaries, but I think I will try that method.

Fishcrzy
Silver Member

The Winner

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 02:22:44 AM »

As geese go I think it would if you were careful.  For commercial work I usually embalm that wrist area in a goose though.  There's enough meat to stink for a bit but not enough you that you cant inject it effeciently.  JMO

I am only envious of the person that catches more fish than I.
birdgirl
Silver Member

full service taxidermy, specializing in waterfowl

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 10:06:50 AM »

I always make incisions on the wrists of geese, if not they will rot and have odors and be prime hot spots for bug infestations later on.Depending on how it is to be mounted, I will do it on the inside of the wing for standing birds and the outer edge on wings of locked up landing geese.

My family says I have too much \"dead stuff\" hanging around, go figure.....
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »

I don't remember not having this method as an option.  The only difference to me was whether the bird was flying or setting.  A flying bird makes this a necessity so that the primaries are held in place.  For a standing or setting bird, I simply turn the wing out, fill the void between the bones with clay and then pose. This allows stacking the primaries for appearance.  For the fliers on the bigger birds, I make an incisidon under that last segment and remove that sliver of meat, fill it with DP, and resew it.  On smaller birds, they get 4in1 from Touchstone or PreservzIt from Rittel.

What I like about this method more than functionality, is the fact that I can run my wing wire and tie it down to the bones.  When I get to the end, I can tie and tape it with electrical tape.  This allows me to turn and twist a wing for some specialty pose as in buffleheads pitching into decoys.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Hook N Stuff
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 12:09:04 PM »

Thanks for the info on the wings, Ive always stripped them but I will give this a try. Ralph
BeckyBird
Platinum Member

My Baby Bluebirds

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »

I tried this last night, and it WORKED!! I have always stripped the secondaries, or made a lousy incision. I have played around with this skinning idea before, but it never really worked for me. Thanks for posting pictures and giving instruction, and I am going to skin my wings out this way every time.

On large wings, I do make an incision on the wingtip, then dry preserve it. Just zap-a-gap the flap of skin back, and it's ready to go.
tas
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 08:53:03 PM »

I was showed this method back in 1982 by Ralph Ward of Oklahoma.
It is easy and the best way to tie your wire.
TAS.
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 12:11:05 AM »

Here's the old post Josh, Hope it helps, wingman

Offering Retail and WHOLESALE Bird taxidermy and Training courses

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

https://plus.google.com/photos/113468900604901419826/albums

Philippians 4:13
Snow Gooser
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 04:45:49 AM »

Thanks, again wingman. I am some what new to this. (19 geese) & (8 ducks). This tip is better then asprin. It won't help me right at the moment with the 3 snows that are drying. It'll save me from the headaches in the future.
                                                                                                                 Darwin
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: "WINGTIP" # 37 Skinning wings another method « previous next »
Jump to: