Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 06:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1602986 Posts in 189069 Topics by 42795 Members
Latest Member: Stud_buck
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Rattlesnake Dispatch Question « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rattlesnake Dispatch Question  (Read 2321 times)
jbnf - Josh F.
Platinum Member

« on: October 13, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »

Friend of mine caught a rattlesnake last night and is wanting me to mount it. He didn't kill it cause he didn't want to cause damage. Instead he put it in the freezer. How long will it take for the snake to die by this method? I don't want to set the thing out to thaw only to come back and find he is gone.  Or what would be another way to dispatch it without damage?

If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're
drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out   
your nose.                                       
- Jack Handy
Yeager1
Platinum Member

Uh-oh, guess what time it is!?

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »

8 hours will be sufficient unless your "scared" then put it overnight. ;D :D
jbnf - Josh F.
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »

Its not so much that I am scared of the snake as much as I am scared of what my wife might do if the snake came up missing. ;D

Thanks

If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're
drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out   
your nose.                                       
- Jack Handy
Kerby Ross
Platinum Member

KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »

Overnight....absolutely no problems.  At least in my freezer.  I have heard people swear they have "come back to life" after a couple of days in their freezer once thawed.  Not buying it.  Now I have put rattlesnakes into the freezer with snake tongs and then dig them out a couple hours later so that I can measure them and put them in an economical container....and they weren't dead yet, but some might think that they "came back to life" when in reality they were never dead.  Rattlesnakes CAN NOT do that.

Now, having said that there are reptiles that can withstand freezing and "come back to life", meaning their heart did stop and then start again.  Numerous species of frogs are capable of doing this and I know of some species of garter snakes can.  Scientists are studying the make up of their "blood" to figure out why.

Kerby...

I'M NOT A TAXIDERMIST, BUT I PLAY ONE ON THE INTERNET
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 06:45:30 PM »

LMAO I wouldn't touch it for a month after being in the freezer :D I know my luck :'( :D

Everyone has an opinion........
disabled
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »

12 hours should be good john
BigKennyBoy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »

Get the snake in a sack, poke a few small holes in the sack before hand and then hook it up to your truck exhaust for 10 min.  Works every time.
Uncle Harley
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »

Overnight....absolutely no problems.  At least in my freezer.  I have heard people swear they have "come back to life" after a couple of days in their freezer once thawed.  Not buying it.  Now I have put rattlesnakes into the freezer with snake tongs and then dig them out a couple hours later so that I can measure them and put them in an economical container....and they weren't dead yet, but some might think that they "came back to life" when in reality they were never dead.  Rattlesnakes CAN NOT do that.

Now, having said that there are reptiles that can withstand freezing and "come back to life", meaning their heart did stop and then start again.  Numerous species of frogs are capable of doing this and I know of some species of garter snakes can.  Scientists are studying the make up of their "blood" to figure out why.

Kerby...

what about turtles  A girl I know swears her turtle tank froze solid when she forgot it outside cleaning it.  She claims the brought it back it to thaw so she could dispose of it and once it thawed it started swimming again  ??? I called bs but could I have been wrong?

Check out my newest reflective eyes!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iHPa8lLLSo
Kerby Ross
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »

Reptiles & amphibians are cold-blooded.  During the winter time some will burrow down or find holes that go below the freeze and therefore survive the winter.  Some turtles will also just go to the bottom of the lake and shut down for a few months to where their heart is only beating a couple of times an hour.  So the lake can be frozen on top for months and they can survive at the bottom without ever coming to the surface to get air in their lungs.  Some can get oxygen through their pores in their skin.

So her story can hold some validity.

:)

Kerby...

Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »

So what is the safest, fastest way to dispatch a snapping turtle? ???
I'd hate to be cutting one and cave him freak out on me, or bite something off :o

Uncle Harley
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »

So what is the safest, fastest way to dispatch a snapping turtle? ???
I'd hate to be cutting one and cave him freak out on me, or bite something off :o

for taxidermy?  I would suggest getting a large pair of pliers and get him to bite it. pull his head out fully extended and a shot of acetone to the base of the skull      if ya want to eat it  do the same thing just cut it off instead.

Check out my newest reflective eyes!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iHPa8lLLSo
Kerby Ross
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »

When a turtle is at the bottom of the lake during the winter time, it isn't below 32 degrees and if so for very short periods of time.

Your freezer is well below zero or your ice cream would melt.

Dump the turtle in the freezer for a couple of days.

:)

Kerby...

Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »

That's good to know. Thanks.

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Rattlesnake Dispatch Question « previous next »