My Prongorn clay work~~
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2019, 12:04:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: My Prongorn clay work~~ « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: My Prongorn clay work~~  (Read 20025 times)
RDA
Platinum Member

Email
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »

since ive been asked about it a hunert times LOL! :D   here it is~~

Now,  there are spots on the mannikin that are outlined in sharpie that get rasped down.  The lower jaw of antelope is nearly STRAIGHT and does notr contain the big sweeping chin typical on mannikins.    the gland patch has been clayed in behind and below the eye orbits and the skin will get tucked into the clay there.   additionally,  Ive added a jaw bone as they are fairly pronounced yet the mannikins completely lack the jaw.   The ridge of the septum carries all the way up to between the horns,  which no mannikins have as well.     The nose pad has als been rasped to show more definition as well as a tuck cut created for the septum split leading from the nose to the upper lip.  Also the caruncle area of each eye has been depened to allow a more forward view of the eye..this also has a bondo septum .   Also the fronts of the eye orbits on the mannikin have been rasped down as they are too thick.  Additional rasping has been done to accent the muscle behind the lip as well .... ;)

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GASASS MALINGERERS

In HONOR of Mr SIMON T. BLACKSHAW, ARTIST SUPREME!  1957-2011
Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »

Unfortunately a couple of nice people in here would be eating crow if theyd seen my prepped form too, lol. I know us easterners dont know anything about the bottom lip roll and overhang, or the final material to butt the skin smoothly to the horn sheath, or tightening up the septum center split, or to cleft the top of the nose when lifting the septum wings, the unique eyelid angle...should I keep going Ron? Lol, I know you know what I mean...
RDA
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »

for petes sake  dont give it ALL away!!! :D :D   I always forget the word "cleft"   too close to "clevage"  something i know nothing about anymore... :-\ :D

is this similiar to Whitetails??? ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:22:23 PM by RDA » Logged

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

Scott Olson
Platinum Member

Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:42:38 PM »

Who taught you how to do that Ronny ??? ??? ;D

Catgear
Gold Member

N.E.A.T President

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »

Well, I'm saving this for my first pronghorn :)

"It is impossible to account for the creation of the universe with out the agency of a Supreme Being." -George Washington
charlie
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »

Gee thanks guys, some great info. Cant wait to do some more pronghorns!

Charlie's Taxidermy, Tenino Wa
BCorn
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »

"bondo septum"...i assume you made a mold of a real septum and cast it with thinned bondo??? what did you use for your spetum mold......silicone????
jazz_fan1
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »

Thats awesome! I have been wondering if the antelope look different in other parts of the country because the forms sure dont look right for Wyo goats. I have been winging it on my sculpting and while its not as good as yours at least I see I was on the right track. Thanks so much for this.
RDA
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:01:44 PM »

:D  The lopers of nevada typically are 3/4 to 1" longer on the snout than alot of them.  additionaly  alot of forms lack the slight "roman nose" affect... ;)

Stay tuned  for the bondo septum system coming to a thread near you.... ;D

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

jazz_fan1
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »

The roman nose effect is the thing I notice most. They all come with those skinny little faces. Most of the taxidermist around here mount them up like that. Then the eyes stick out from the head so much that mounted they look like gonzo from the muppets. Again thanks for the post(s), I love your work. As always well done!
backcountrychad
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 02:34:32 PM »

RDA, thank you a bunch for the pics. I'm in Texas, so I don't do a bunch of speedgoats. But, I really love them. Your pics really show some things I've wondered about.
Hammer
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »

Ron, what about that slight indention on top about one inch before the nose wings. LOL
[email protected]
Silver Member

Turkey Creek Furs and Wildlife Studio

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »

RDA, you da man!! I'll be watchin for the bondo septum tutorial too. I'll be huntin these critters in about a week so hopefully I'll get to try it out.
AndyO
Platinum Member

meow

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »

Unfortunately a couple of nice people in here would be eating crow if theyd seen my prepped form too, lol. I know us easterners dont know anything about the bottom lip roll and overhang, or the final material to butt the skin smoothly to the horn sheath, or tightening up the septum center split, or to cleft the top of the nose when lifting the septum wings, the unique eyelid angle...should I keep going Ron? Lol, I know you know what I mean...

You've got to be the most sensitive guy on taxi.net Bill. I don't mean sensitive as in a gay way either. Jason has a lot more knowledge and you should let him teach you a thing or two.  :-*

"If you are not aware of how bad you suck, you're an idiot."  ~Rick Carter 1-12-12
RDA
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »

hammer  the indentation behind the nose gets filled with clay  as they have a slight dip there and also show a tendonous connection from the top of the septum cartlidge there  which is easily formed in the clay after mounting... :o ;)

also note:  Gary Powell tuaght me abut sizing the glands as small, med, large and non-existant.  This is determined pre skinning as you simply stick your finger tips into the tuck.  1/2 deep is small   while ive had some that the tuck was an inch!   Also some will have none,  so a small clay gland with no tuck is what does the trick...  If you didnt skin it,  kill photos can often be used to determine the gland size by the visibility of the tuck line  this froms the back of a sort of mask around the eye in the hair patterns..visable in most reference.  or simply do them "average"... :D ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:35:40 PM by RDA » Logged

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: My Prongorn clay work~~ « previous next »
Jump to: