The Upholsterer's or Invisible Stitch ...
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2019, 01:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: The Upholsterer's or Invisible Stitch ... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The Upholsterer's or Invisible Stitch ...  (Read 48194 times)
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

WWW Email
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »

On any and all incisions - most especially the main incisions ... dorsal or ventral (belly) - I use an "Upholsterers" Stitch - the "Invisible" Stitch - to close the skin.  It draws the skin down and in on itself, literally making it "invisible."  

Start by knotting off the thread, go up on one side. Come back over the top, and go down through the opposite side ...

Go up through the same side the needle just passed through!

Cross over to the opposite side, and pass the needle down through the skin from the hair side ...

Keep the thread from catching the hair or fur, and pull the thread down ...

... then again up through the flesh side of the skin on the same side the needle just passed down through.

Pull together the two or three stitches just made. You can continue, or - my recommendation - knot off the thread, and then continue. Basically it's like 'rinse and repeat', but in this case it's 'stitch and repeat'.

If you grind a shallow groove in the top of the mannikin's back, the length of the incision, fill it with clay, the sewn incision can be pressed into the clay further hiding it.  You can use a rubber mallet and gently tap the seam flat into the clay.  Insect pins can further hold the skin until the mount is dry.

On some mounts I will even use this stitch to close the legs!  On very thin tanned skins I use either 3-0 or 4-0 Silk Suture and this particular stitch to close these incisions.  Keeping the hair or fur out of the stitch is the key, and is much easier than you might first think!

It's more work than just carefully sewing an incision together, but then again, you have a damn near flawlessly sewn mount.

There you go!

John.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:33:43 PM by John Bellucci » Logged

Conservatism Is A Social Disease!
Rhonda
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:14:17 AM »

Thanks John Going to try this today  :)

BDrake
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:37:02 AM »

Your last sentance is very true. Damn good stitch.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dugart
Silver Member

Doug Smith / D-Sign,LLC. 616-392-3841

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:26:51 AM »

One again, John's sharing some great teaching. This stitch is the ticket if you don't want to see your seams and you can really close up pretty wide gaps without having the thread cut through the skin.

Atta Boy John!    Thanks

Pursue.........
Kurt Rojemann
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »

I started using this stitch on short haired whitetails.  Love the results...just wish I was more coordinated with my left hand.   :-\  It probably looks like I'm dancing around my mounting stand when I sew....always trying to use my right hand.   ;D

Kurt Rojemann
C.J.
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:58:58 AM »

thanks John

Give 110%, and you'll be just fine
museum man
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:16:02 AM »

also a must for african work

i am a retired taxidermist from the museum of science and natural history.....
Jerry Huffaker
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:14:44 AM »

John,
 My dad was an upholsterer for 50+ yrs, I grew up in his shop, we used that stitch to sew up out arms and outside backs. I've made thousands of those stitches in my youth. He called it a blind stitch.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »

John,
 My dad was an upholsterer for 50+ yrs, I grew up in his shop, we used that stitch to sew up out arms and outside backs. I've made thousands of those stitches in my youth. He called it a blind stitch.

It actually goes by four names that I am aware of: The Upholsterer's Stitch; The Invisible Stitch - which was used to assemble Wonder Woman's plane ;D; The Hidden Stitch; and ... The Blind Stitch.  "Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent!" ;)

John.

WestWindTax
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »

John

Thank you very much for the great advice.  I have beeen looking for a great stich for african heads.  this looks like the ticket.

Brian Noody
West Wind Taxidermy Studio
Fredonia, NY
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »

So it looks like you are doing something like a whip stitch and baseball stich combined where you go through side A, then through A again, then over to B, then to B again, then back over to A.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 04:50:36 PM »

Down through side A, up through side A - cross over to down through side B, up through side B - back over to down through side A, rinse and repeat.  Not like the Whip or Baseball stitch.  It is what it is.

John.

FIELD2FOREVER
Gold Member

The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »

Just Marking this, I can never get this stich right

Tim Elder - Field To Forever Taxidermy - DeBeque, Colorado
boarhunter67
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »

Thanks for clarifying, John.  That's what I thought.  What I meant by comparing it to the baseball is that it is like the baseball except you go through each side twice, which I know makes it a completely different stitch.   By the way, I did buy some of that silk thread you recommended from the medical supply company you listed.  It works well on small facial holes, but I've noticed I can't put any stress on it at all or it breaks super easily.  It does hide amazingly well, though.  Thanks for the pictures and description. 
horsedoctor
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 06:12:34 PM »

If I'm interpreting John's pictures correctly this is the same stitch that is known as a Lembert stitch in surgery. There is a piece of U Tube video that demonstrates it used in the skin from a different perspective. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEqbXfS7PwE>  In surgery it is commonly used to close bowel and NOT skin as it turns an edge of skin into the wound which will delay healing; not so much a factor sewing tanned hide. If this is not what John is showing, I apologize for confusing things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: The Upholsterer's or Invisible Stitch ... « previous next »
Jump to: