WING"TIPS" #1
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 04:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS" #1 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: WING"TIPS" #1  (Read 22156 times)
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« on: March 30, 2007, 01:20:54 AM »

Catchy subject title Huh? Ha ha . I was sitting in my shop today doing finish work and the thought of putting a personal Idea or  TIP thread for bird taxidermy would be a good idea so then I started to think if I could come up with enough tips to share with everyone on the bird forum and I was surprised at how many little things came to mind which could be shared So WINGTIPS springs to life, NOW I know there are MANY experienced Bird people on this forum and I'm sure some of the tips will not be anything new to many and often times some may go what in the world is he thinking But at least it will stir up some conversation.
            So here goes, Wingtip #1       I usually try to put two birds together a day. I always spent a lot of time rinsing washed bird skins making sure ALL the suds are out SOOOO I came up with an "Automated" Rinser I basically attached a garden hose to my faucet, Drilled a hole in the bottom of a five gallon bucket just big enough to ''squeeze the hose through and then recently added a drain valve in the  bottom to make it easier to ''dump out '' when done. It depends on your water pressure but you position the incoming water hose in the bottom of the bucket at an angle or up against the pail edge , whatever it takes to cause the water to ''agitate'' All I do after washing a skin now is to ring it out throw it in the rinser and turn the water on the water comes up and through the plumage and in about 4-6 minutes depending on the bird the water is CLEAR and all the suds are gone It helps to push the skin towards the bottom of the bucket a few times to help flush the soap out.It has saved me time just because I am doing something else rather than standing over the sink rinsing a bird, This "contraption'' also works GREAT for Powerthawing birds, Put the frozen bird in the bucket fill it with warm/hot water add a shot of dawn and then leave a ''TRICKLE'' of hot water running into the bucket , a mallard sized bird will be completely thawed in about 25 minutes.
        Thats it, there are corresponding pics showing the bucket and a birdskin getting the rinsejob Give it a try It does really work.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:59:44 AM by wingman » Logged

Offering Retail and WHOLESALE Bird taxidermy and Training courses

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

https://plus.google.com/photos/113468900604901419826/albums

Philippians 4:13
Snow Gooser
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:53:30 AM »

Great Idea! I'll engineer me one when I get back from Minnesota.
                                                              Thanks, Darwin
bw
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:07:35 AM »

I think this could be a great thread.  I remember a while back that someone had pictures of how they attatch wire to the wings with plastic zip ties.  George remarked at how he had never thought of that and was going to try.  Hell....I thought everyone used zip ties!!  Just goes to show you that there is always another (sometimes better) way.

The bucket is a great idea.
JonHarleTX
Platinum Member

Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »

Cool get-up !

I thought about doing a thread like this, but the only catchy subject line I could muster was :

"Tips from the Jon"

;D

J~
mntduks-tx
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:03:01 PM »

:) :D ::)
Tereza Revis
Silver Member

Be joyful!

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 01:28:53 PM »

Wingman, you are amazingly talented.  That's a great idea.  It looks simple and easy to make.  Thanks for sharing.

Chad
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:13:03 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I have just finished mine today and think its going to be great. keep all the tips coming . Look forward to more in the future.
birdgirl
Silver Member

full service taxidermy, specializing in waterfowl

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 08:53:52 PM »

amazingly talented is right! wingman has some of the best sea duck mounts I have ever seen and his habitat work amazes me.He is also one the most helpful people I have ever met and is not afraid to share his knowledge.

My family says I have too much \"dead stuff\" hanging around, go figure.....
BeckyBird
Platinum Member

My Baby Bluebirds

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 10:47:41 PM »

I will make one this weekend! I hate rinsing birds, since it takes me FOREVER!! Thank you for the great pictures:o)
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 11:10:48 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments I have taken pics for another WING"TIP" posting and have a list written down of ''stupid little things'' to put in future postings There are so many different techniques and methods that the list is endless, I was just curious if anyone would be interested or not, Here's a pic of the duck floating in the bucket, a blue-wing/shoveler hybrid, purchased from Dave Algren.

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

daniel
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 07:59:40 AM »

thanks wingman i dont have so much space so now i can attach the hose and rinse outside KEEP THE TIPS COMING GREAT IDEA all the best DANIEL  :) :)
jerogers
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »

Wingman, this is probably a stupid question, but does the rinse water come up and over the top and the bottom is closed and used only when you want to drain it?  I was just thinking that the dirty soap water would drain better out the top since the soap and dirt always seems to rise to the top.  Just trying to figure out how it works.  Thanks.  By the way, great idea for Wing Tips. 
jeremy
Platinum Member

Have you hugged your snake today!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 06:27:50 PM »

I like the tip thread idea, kinda like bird of the week. Heres a idea, what would happen if you put one of those round 6"- 8" sprinklers in the bottom, you know the ones that look like a ring. Then filled the bucket up first on low and then turned it on full blast. I think you would have a uniform agitation as multiple jets would be hitting and turning the bird.

wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 08:07:46 PM »

jerogers, The valve on the bottom is just for draining the bucket when the rinsing is done, I got tired of spilling water on my counter when I went to empty it. the water flows up and over the edge of the bucket, it does help to push the skin down into the water when your rinsing as this just flushes more soap out of the plumage. Jeremy not a bad idea may be worth a try, Eveyones water pressure is different just adjust the incoming hose accordingly for the best flushing results, Good Luck. I am posting another tip real soon about  excelsior wrapped necks with excelsior bodies,
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:27:19 PM by wingman » Logged

Nancy C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 11:27:05 PM »

I'm sure glad you finally posted a picture of that bird!
I was wondering what on earth it was but I didn't want to sound stupid and I kept thinking that it must be something normal -- just turned in a funny direction.
I kept LOOOKING at that thing and scratching my head ....  ???
(I was actually wondering if it was a wood duck  X cinnamon teal.)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS" #1 « previous next »
Jump to: