WING"TIPS"#3 Removing marrow
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2019, 10:00:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS"#3 Removing marrow « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WING"TIPS"#3 Removing marrow  (Read 13181 times)
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:35:15 AM »

Here's another small tip, Removing marrow from the ''drumstick'' on birds is rather easy when you do the ''drumstick'' attachment on your mannequin which most bird taxidermist do, All that's required to do so is to run an appropriately sized wire down the hollow bone essentially ''pushing'' the marrow out. However I like to  use the ''hip'' attachment and want to leave all the bones intact for accurate bends and in doing so  the drumstick bone which holds a good deal of marrow is inaccessible, To deal with this I drill a small hole at the base of the bone, insert my fine- tipped air nozzle into the hole and basically BLOW all the marrow and grease out. I would reccomend placing a paper towel over the nozzle before depressing the trigger as it can get messy. After doing this the bird goes to the wire wheel and then the wash It only takes a few minutes and over time your birds feet will be less likely to ''bleed'' grease although some grease is always left in the actual foot. I know  some may think this is unnecessary BUT I think it;s a good idea to remove all marrow The same method can also  be done on the marrow filled wingbone  if desired. The pics below show the two methods, if you don't use the hip attachment you can still blow the marrow out  rather than running wires down the bone. GOOD LUCK
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:43:03 AM by wingman » Logged

Offering Retail and WHOLESALE Bird taxidermy and Training courses

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

https://plus.google.com/photos/113468900604901419826/albums

Philippians 4:13
lmitchxray
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:41:02 AM »

Sure do appreciate you taking the time to share your secrets with us. You have great work.
Thanks again
BigSwede
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:48:12 AM »

Thanks for sharing. Great. B S

Somewhere... somewhere in heaven above me...  I know that my mother is proud of me... cause Im a TAXIDERMIST... and  a      SUCCESS !
Rick RR GBirds
Gold Member

Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:40:30 PM »

Somehow, I always end up with 1/2 the marrow all over my face...yum says my wife!

Is it Hunting season yet???
Doug Bridges
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 02:46:17 PM »

Wingman,
I use the air method, but drill a second vent hole at the opposite end of the bone for the marrow to blast out of. Just cover the whole thing with a paper towel to avoid a nutritious snack.

The air nozzle is also a fast way to clear out a brain cavity in a bird skull.

Doug Bridges
The Village Taxidermist
www.villagetaxidermist.com
I sell Smooth-On Products and S&S Fleshing Machines
Mold Making and Casting Services for Taxidermists and Beyond!
AliciaG
Silver Member

Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »

Great tips Wingman.  I'll have to try that air method for removing marrow   Like Doug B I also use air to remove brains, it's so much faster!
stuffinducks
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:14:06 PM »

I agree with Doug B...I do the same thing drill a second hole (exit) and cover with paper towel. I also do wing bones (Ulna) the same way.

Good advice.

SD

Jeff Nelson's - www.wingsinflightbirdtaxidermy.com
Payson, Utah
GSPmutt
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 11:52:12 PM »

a couple pipe cleaners will work if you don't have or don't want to use forced air.

Larry
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS"#3 Removing marrow « previous next »
Jump to: