Make your own custom tree limb
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 12:39:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Make your own custom tree limb « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Make your own custom tree limb  (Read 31342 times)
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

WWW Email
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:37:10 AM »

I'd thought about this in the beginners section, but I hear the same things from older taxidermsits about not finding an appropriate limb to do the work they want.  Here's a very simple way to build a limb using 4 inch and 2 inch PVC, chicken wire, and foam.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
George Roof
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:38:33 AM »

Here's the rest

George Roof
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »

And the stained log with a leopard manikin in place.  No leaves yet, but no dead Steinbok draped across the limb either.

Blade
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:56:09 AM »

NICE JOB!!!  :o

If you see it in your mind,
you're going to hold it in your hand!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel....Because those that matter....
don't mind.....And those that mind don't matter
Dean
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »

That method I've done for years now. My leopard in the tree was done that way at Nationals in Sioux Falls a couple years ago. The tree was 12 tall and I could carry it myself over my shoulder. You don't have to use the mesh the foam sticks to the pvc fine with out it. The branches are made by reducing down the pvc pipes. After foaming I scratched and textured the foam to create the bark. I them mixed bondo and fiberglass resin and painted the tree with it. It gives a nice durable hard shell over it. It is then painted with different colors of flat paint. I make my rocks with the same foam and bondo/ fiberglass method.
Dean
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:30:40 AM »

I was going to put up a photo of the tree but haven't got a clue where to start. I'll try to figure it out.
kosterman
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 01:33:05 PM »

that looks pretty sweet. im gonna have to give that a shot.
AndyB
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 02:33:34 PM »

nice step by step

There\'s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright -1955
Zoo: An excellent place to study the habits of human beings. -Evan Esar
\"He who laughs last didn\'t get it.\" Helen Giangregorio
George Roof
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »

If you've never done this type foaming, you mix only about 6 to  8 ounces of each part and mix them with an electric drill and a bent wire mixer.  Then you pour it out on a plastic sheet and allow it to start foaming up.  When you can lift that plastic without it running, you flip it over on to your "log".  You can then use the plastic sheet to move foam into areas as well as rough form it.  Do NOT try to pour the foam directly on the log.  You'll simply have a big mess.

[email protected]
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 04:08:33 PM »

You can also make great looking bark with bondo & latex press molds. Pick out atree with a lot of texture in the bark. Although your  limb looks good like it is. Good job George.

Hog Heaven
Wholesale Boar Taxidermy
35771 Jackson II Road
Carthage, N.Y. 13619
PJK1944
Silver Member

RENAISSANCE MAN OF HABITATS

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:46:24 PM »

NICE JOB LOOKS REAL GOOD...I USED THE PVC WITH 1/4 MESS WIRE, USING WATER PUDDY AND BURLAP MAKES A GREAT LOOKING TREE..AFTER THE FIRST COAT OF BURLAP DIPED IN WATER PUDDY AND WRAP IT AFTER IT DRYS MAKE SOME MORE WATER PUDDY AND PUT IT ON AND CREATE YOUR OUR DESIGN SMOOTH OR ROUGH ,ALSO MIX PAINTS INTO THE WATER PUDDY MIX.. JUST ANOTHER IDEA.. BASES BY RICK.

BASES BY RICK KENNAIR
mk
Platinum Member

-30 below

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:19:57 AM »

how are you going to attach it to the wall?  nice job george!

Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting implies the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Paul K
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 11:44:25 PM »

George , how much time into it ?

A coward dies many times , only the valiant die but once.
George Roof
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 07:44:40 AM »

Too damned much.  I spent about 3 days on it.

As for the attach point:
The client lived in a big ranch style home with a full basement on the top of a hill. When he decided on building a game room, he insisted that the contractor make at least an 18 foot tall ceiling.  The contractor dug out the hillside to the basement level and extended the foundation out 40 feet.  When the roof came, it had to be tied into the original so he chose to go up on the existing roof about 4 feet to tie it in.  The left about 3 feet of old roof exposed which was hidden behind some dynamic trim work.  If you look at the back of my "log", you'll see about 3 feet of and 8 foot piece of 2 inch angle iron.  This piece is cut and welded to go inside the PVC for about 4 foot and the tag of the iron is bent at the 4 on 12 pitch of the old roof.  I will bolt that tang to the old roof rafters.  I had to take the rough PVC over and prefit it to insure teh angle was correct.  As soon as I get the pieces back from the tannery and I get Ken Walker down here for a week, we're going to mount the leopard, the 800 pound lioness, and a life-size nyala to finish of this damned safari.  Did I mention I hate doing African stuff?

Just a note.  Last time I had Ken down on one of these adventures, he carved and mounted a lifesized grizzly over 2 days.  The DTA offered this seminar to anyone for just $50 and we included a light lunch, sodas, and snacks.  Take a crack at how many people came to see the seminar.    THREE PEOPLE.

Now if there's some interest in Ken doing a similar seminar with this diorama in maybe July/August (depends on when Carolina gets me the wet tanned hides back) maybe, just MAYBE we'd consider doing something similar.  I can tell you right now, however, it won't be $50 this time, more like $250.  Sandy Slyvester and I will be doing the work with Ken, but if you know Ken, most of his seminars are "hands on" and I certainly won't get in your way if you like to sew.

mountingman
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 08:01:54 AM »

I would definitely be interested in that George! just let me know when. Especially in august as my schedule is clear that month. Thanks to you and DTA for considering it

steve rolan
Craig, Colorado
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Make your own custom tree limb « previous next »
Jump to: