Golden eagle skeleton ---- Finished!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 12:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794011 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49576 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Golden eagle skeleton ---- Finished! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Golden eagle skeleton ---- Finished!  (Read 21922 times)
Guus
Gold Member

WWW Email
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

Working on this beautiful bird right now, shall keep you updated while progressing.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:47:52 PM by Guus » Logged

RD Martin
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:04:36 AM »

WOW! That would get us 3 hots and a cot in the Federal Prison over here. Every time I see a Golden or a Bald flying I think how nice it would be. Congradulations to you for a great specimen. Can't wait to see it finished. Happy New Year!

Nancy C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »

Wow!  I would be sorely tempted to pluck it first if I got an eagle in that sort of condition, and to make a full body mold of it before taking it apart for maceration.

In the US we can barely even touch an eagle without fearing for our futures, but it would be perfectly OK to attach feathers from non-protected species on to a plastic cast of a naked one.

Guus
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:23:14 AM »

Thanks RD! Over here I'm just going to articulate it, after that he will go back to the museum. Still a great chance and an honour to work with such a bird. Happy new year to you and everybody over here too!
Nancy, I'll send everything back to the museum I got it from, so I couldn't pluck it. But it is a good idea, never thought of it. They are quite easily available over here, you just need a good (educational) reason to get one.

ravenswings1
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »

Wow can't wait to see it done! How did it die?
Toxic
Platinum Member

Jim

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »

would like to see a size referance of its head with your hand if anyway posible....

I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »

Lucky you. I would also love to have an opportunity like this one.

grf68
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »

I passed a dead read tailed hawk the other day on the road, such a waste to have to leave such a beautiful bird on the side of the road to rot or become coyote lunch. Cant wait to see how your eagle turns out.
Guus
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »

Cause of death was not clear, it was in bad condition though, so degreasing will be easier. No fat and hardly any muscles left. It was found on Gotland, an island for the east coast of Sweden.

Toxic, it's in the maceration tank now, but I'll take pictures when the head is done. It was a male, a pretty large one.

I'm happy that birds like these are used to show the public what they look like although they are strictly protected, even on this side of the pond. A pity that you guys over there can't touch a single feather of almost any bird species, must be terrible to see them rot away on the side of the road...  :(

Jean-Christophe
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »

Really great bird ! I'd love to work on a bird of prey, even a small one, but I never did (yet).
ravenswings1
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »

When you macerate it, degrease, and whiten how do you protect the claws? From my experience the claws start to deteoriate, however I can't remember how long I left them in water. Will peroxide change the color of the claws?
jess_hawk
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »

Wow!  I would be sorely tempted to pluck it first if I got an eagle in that sort of condition, and to make a full body mold of it before taking it apart for maceration.

In the US we can barely even touch an eagle without fearing for our futures, but it would be perfectly OK to attach feathers from non-protected species on to a plastic cast of a naked one.

I don't know what the regulations are for this, but could you talk to a wildlife rehabber in your area (if you can find one that does eagles.  Or any other protected species you're interested in) and see if they would be willing to do a cast of a bird that couldn't be saved? 

I'm looking forward to seeing this eagle articulated, though I prefer my birds alive (I have had the pleasure of working with live raptors, including a couple of bald eagles).
grygon
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »

I know some folks in the USA who get to work on bird of prey, but they work for rehabbers, museums, zoos, etc. and the finished skeleton goes somewhere else or stays at their place of work.

Guus, the rest of us will live vicariously through your updates here.  :)
Guus
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 09:36:13 AM »

The nails and beak came loose after a couple of days of maceration. I learned from Wouter to rinse them for a while under very hot (or boiling) water to make them a bit harder so you can get them of more easily. Sometimes you can work them loose using a scalpel or a dissecting needle, or just wait another day. Then they will go in formaldehyde or alcohol to sanitize them. You can leave them in until you put them back on the cleaned bone or dry them. When dried you can soak them in warm water for a while before putting them back so that they are soft and a bit flexible.

Wouter
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »

Great post Guus, it will be very interesting to see it develop into a mounted skeleton. You'll mount it flying won't you? Looking at the bird In think it spent some time in a rehab centre before it died, the often results in the broken tail feathers this bird has.
Later this week a friend will get me some pictures of me skinning another cool bird I plan to mount as a skeleton: a wandering albatross. Maybe I'll post a work in progress tread about this bird as you do with this eagle.

Best wishes for 2012,

Wouter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Golden eagle skeleton ---- Finished! « previous next »
Jump to: