DEGREASING TANK
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 09:05:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1624915 Posts in 192415 Topics by 43479 Members
Latest Member: Stump.270
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: DEGREASING TANK « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: DEGREASING TANK  (Read 24950 times)
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« on: January 01, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »

New Year...New Thread on degreasing Tanks.
I think we are all looking for a better way to degrease and seeing others degreasing setups can be inspiration to try something different. Mine is constantly changing and growing. I have been degreasing all of my skulls together for a few years now and this works fine IMO. I admit that I probably degrease longer than most but have learned by trying just about every detergent and temperature that this produces the best skull I can live with. Everyone has their own method of what works for them and their own opinion of a finished skull. I hope others will post their degreasing setup(s) no matter how big or small in this thread.

Tank 1 is where I start a batch out of the beetles. I drain it before it cools completely to rinse off the grease before it sets.

Tank 2

I will get pictures of my other tanks shortly.

Gramps

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:06:09 PM »

You must have read my mind. Just started doing euro mounts last year and had a handfull of deer. This year, I have 19 now and am waiting on a few more. I have been wondering how some of you bigger guys handle degreasing with large number of heads. Right now I can only degrease seven at one time. I am going to see if I can find something bigger, degrease tanks, for next year.
Looks like you start out with the heads all together, for the first degrease or two, and I am thinking you do them seperately after that. I will see if I can photos of mine on here tomorrow. Have not done photos on here before.
Everyone needs to check out your new photo on "facebook", it's really COOL!!
Thanks RD
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:26:14 PM by Gramps » Logged
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »

Thanks Gramps. I keep them all together through the whole degreasing. I pull heads that degrease faster and move them to my "finish tanks" in the main shop. Tank #5 is the last tank that I pull from before whitening. It also holds the skulls that just have a spot or two that seems to take forever. Guess I could call #5 my "FOREVER TANK".

Jen D.
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »

Nice pics. I am just wondering what temperature water you use, and for roughly how long they have to stay in. (researching to build my own small heated setup.) Thanks!
Bugs N Bones
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:18:46 PM »

Is that an amish bath tub rd?
CA Trapper
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 12:18:10 AM »

RD, what are the differences if any of your different tanks? Temp? Degreasing solution ratios?
skinandbonesartistry

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 12:44:27 AM »

Great Thread RD. I hope we can all learn from this! Here is my setup. I get 7 or 8 heads in each tank. The tanks are cheap laundry tubs from Lowes or Home Depot. I use PVC pipes to hang the antlers on. The tanks are plumbed into a septic tank so changing water is a breeze. I have a ball valve on the drain line that I open to drain them. I bought rubber "hair screens" from WalMart to cover the drain holes so no teeth or other parts go down the drain. The tanks are heated with a homemade heat exchange system. In the bottom of each tank I ran a loop of PEX pipe that has hot water circulating through it. USE ONLYPLASTIC FITTINGS IN THE TANK! Brass fittings may leach copper and turn things blue. I found out the hard way. The water is circulated with a circulator pump connected to a hot water heater from Home Depot. I regulate the temperature with the hot water heater controls. the water stays constant and there is no electric heaters exposed anywhere. the whole setup is a little pricey, but in the long run it is labor efficient because it is real easy to drain and re-fill.

In one picture you can see how I do antlerless skulls. I put them in a nylon paint strainer bag and tie that to the PVC pipes. when the teeth fall out, they remain in the bag.

The black tube across the back is a drip irrigation tube on a timer. I set it up to drip fill the tanks once every twelve hours. It drips in just enough water to keep the tanks full and I don't even have to be home. this is necessary due to evaporation and because the backs of the skulls are near the top of the tank.

WARNING! if you use the water circulating system do not use the hot water from this water heater for filling your tanks, expecially if you have acidic water! there is copper in the pump and it WILL turn skulls blue.

* 2012-01-02 001 001 - Copy.jpg (69.01 kB, 800x600 - viewed 3009 times.)

* 2012-01-02 001 005.jpg (60 kB, 800x600 - viewed 2913 times.)
skullfreak
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »

wow awesome setup!

licensed taxidermist that specializes in European mounts
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 11:01:17 AM »

skinandbonesartistry, That is what I had hoped for in this thread! Great setup!! Thanks!!
A few years back another member here posted a laundry tub with a "hot water heater" element installed. This was before the "even a caveman can do it thread". I stayed away from the sinks as I do too many big heads like elk, bison and moose. Too much plumbing. Nice plumbing on yours by the way. I was in another shop a few weeks ago and they had about a dozen laundry sinks for degreasing. It looks very nice and neat. I like it a lot. Thanks again!

ginevive, I keep my thermostats hovering around 125 but after a few months use on these with detergent I don't think they are completely accurate. PM me and I'll be happy to discuss anything with you.

michael69, you have been reading the archives. lol
good man!

CA Trapper, You can't use too much or too little as long as it stays fresh and HOT. I change daily to remove the greasy solution. I believe that is more important than "how much". Temps......I check like a Chef cooking.......If I can't keep my finger in it more than 5-6 seconds then its perfect temperature.

C'mon guys & gals...MORE PICTURES!

skullfreak
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:42:09 AM »

you guys are awesome!once i get my shop all cleaned up and everything up in running will be posting some pics!hopefully the first of next week!think i am going to still the sink idea for 1 or 2 of my tanks!have a rubbermaid cow truff right now that i am using and might just keep that for my larger skulls

licensed taxidermist that specializes in European mounts
Bugs N Bones
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »

Rd where can i get an amish bath tub like that????
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »

Rd where can i get an amish bath tub like that????
I wish I knew where I can find more.

The Amish lady still wants hers back.

50 gallon rubbermaid tank is a little wider and better for moose. I just set one up a few months ago and am liking it. I have a picture on my camera....just need time to download/upload/post.

Toxic
Platinum Member

Jim

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »

SkinandBones, what temp you running in the sinks, if its below 110 deg. F i would go with a larger coil, possible CPVC grid lining the sink.

I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »

skinandbonesartistry, I really like working with the PEX. It is "State of the Art" supply line. I had a few boxes of PVC and CPVC to use up. I need a PEX tool. Had to borrow one from a neighbor.

skinandbonesartistry

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »

PEX is Great! Easy to use and fast. I can add a new sink in about an hour as I need them.

Toxic, My temp never varies from 120 -121 F. I put equal lengths of coil in each sink. 24 hour circulation maintains constant temperature. I currently can keep about 300 gallons of water at constant 120F 24 hours a day with one 40 gallon dual element water heater. if I remember correctly the elements are 1450 W each.

RD, Elk? Moose? Bison? are these some new SUBSPECIES of a Whitetail or Bear? 

Seriously, I get a few bison and an occasional elk or moose, but they are pretty rare for me. Bison fit one at a time if you cut the tips of the horn bones. Moose don't fit. I use a mason's tub and disconnectable heat loop for them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: DEGREASING TANK « previous next »