WING"TIPS"#9 Support wire concealment
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 06:59:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS"#9 Support wire concealment « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WING"TIPS"#9 Support wire concealment  (Read 13567 times)
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:01:46 AM »

Hello, It's been a while since I've had a chance to post another wingtip so here goes! On flying birds there always seems to be a wire holding the bird to the base or driftwood. I personally don't like to see exposed wire although I guess a chunk of driftwood stuck to a bird is not real accurate either :) BUT I do like to hide the wires, here's how I do it. I use sculptall to blend the wire in with the wood, covering the entire exposed wire but THEN I take dirt, Eastern Montana dirt-gumbo works GREAT because it's color is more gray than black and the gray blends in with the driftwood best, wet your hand blend the putty on the wire then wet your fingers and stick them in the dirt and then rub that into the wet sculptall, blend /add dirt-water until you get the desired effect and color. You can scratch additional detail in if desired I just like to hide the wire and don't get to fancy. Here;s a few pics basically showing the procedure, GOOD LUCK!!

Offering Retail and WHOLESALE Bird taxidermy and Training courses

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

https://plus.google.com/photos/113468900604901419826/albums

Philippians 4:13
ludvik
Gold Member

beginner taxidermist :-)

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:52:57 AM »

thx again wingman
very nice tips.

ole
Snow Gooser
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:35:45 AM »

Thanks for the tips!!
muleyhunter
Gold Member

Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »

Great idea ! I usually use moss to hide the wire.
blkdog09
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »

What I usualy do if the bird is "out" from the driftwood, is use some scuplt-all to cover the wire, like its a natural part of the wood.

Great tip
Tim McLagan
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 05:42:46 PM »

Great tip, I always use hot glue and do the same thing, only it sets faster, I have also used 5 min. epoxy. Same results, and done in 5 mins.  Keep em coming Wingman and Thanks !!   

" GIT - R - DONE "

www.mclaganstaxidermy.com
BeckyBird
Platinum Member

My Baby Bluebirds

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 10:42:46 PM »

Wingman, first of all, I love the wing "tips".....also, that backside of the goose looks beautiful, and I can only imagine how nice the front looks....but most of all, how in the world do you always have such a nice clean shop? I am amazed!
Pumacat

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 10:49:17 PM »

Thanks Wingman for the tip. I just came across with this same dilemma with a flying duck and turkey. Used moss on the duck, but will try the epoxy or hot glue with dirt for the turkey.  Angelo

The  bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low pricing is forgotten.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS"#9 Support wire concealment « previous next »
Jump to: