WING"TIPS" # 13 Detached tails
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2019, 07:16:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS" # 13 Detached tails « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: WING"TIPS" # 13 Detached tails  (Read 18324 times)
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« on: May 11, 2007, 01:01:19 AM »

UNBELIEVABLE!! I just submitted this posting and LOST the whole thing because of to large of an image file :( SOOO here goes again!!I know this method is used by many already but I thought it may be new to some also so anyway here it is, I remove the tails on all my upland birds before mounting it's an easy procedure especially if you have pre-soaked the birds prior to skinning, All I do is remove the tail quills leaving the lower tail coverts and upper auxillary feathers in place on the skin, Remove all the flesh/fat from the quills,wash,dry and then spread out into the desired fan. I use blue masking tape to hold the feathers in position.Then it's as easy as placing a wire or t-pin against the quills and hot gluing in place. To give the tail a concave/convex shape I use wooden wedges to lift the edges of the tail into position before hot gluing bondo also works here but I prefer to use hot glue. You can be creative in positioning the tail on items to get the desired effect. This is also a good time to do any repair work on the tail as it;s easy to replace feathers at this point.When your ready to place the tail on the mount just insert the wire/pin in place and I then hot glue the top and bottom feathers in place against the tail. The following pics basically explain themselves, I posted several on this topic for visual reference also a pheasant and a hun mounted using this technique on the tails, There now I have had the pleasure to explain, AND TYPE. this all out TWICE!! Good grief :( GOOD LUCK!!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:46:15 AM by wingman » Logged

Offering Retail and WHOLESALE Bird taxidermy and Training courses

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

https://plus.google.com/photos/113468900604901419826/albums

Philippians 4:13
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 01:05:30 AM »

MORE :)

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 01:10:43 AM »

AND AGAIN :)

stuffit44
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 07:16:16 AM »

I second that

Bryan
Mounted Memories Taxidermy
JP a.k.a Taxi-lover
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:31:22 AM »

New tip to me was that spraycan as a platform to make tail round. Thanks for the great tip's wingman!!

I have a dream...more trophies on my wall!
Peter Span
Platinum Member

Corvids, gotta catch them all!

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:58:50 AM »

Thanks for the tip, and the pheasant looks fantastic!

Corvids rule!
James Parrish
Platinum Member

Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 09:53:43 AM »

I use basically the same procedure.  When I mount turkeys, I glue the skin to the mannikin and leave the tail where it can be easily detached and reattached by the customer when they get home.  I started leaving the tails detachable because it seemed like every customer came to pick up their bird in a Ford Fiesta and the tails I worked so hard on would get basically destroyed.  My customers love the detachable tails and it allows their mount to look better when they get it home.  This method is also very beneficial when mounting birds that will be shipped.   

If you use a form that has the pygostyle (Buckeye forms have them), you can leave the under tail coverts attached to the body skin and just glue them to the form.  If you use a form without the pygostyle, you can leave the undertail coverts attached to the tail.  When I am ready to hot glue or bondo the tail, I just fold the UTCs up under the tail and out of the way.  Once the bondo or glue has set, you can pull the UTCs down and position them to suit the pose.

"Open a can of bondo breathe deep and remember why you got into this business in the first place."   TnT

http://www.newlifetaxidermy.com/blog  Visit my blog for taxidermy tips and tutorials.
Rick RR GBirds
Gold Member

Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »

Eugene, why do you prefer hot glue to Bondo.  Any advantages?

Is it Hunting season yet???
Nancy C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »

I do basically the same thing, although I don't remover the tails on small-tailed birds like huns or quail.
I prefer bondo, though, because in a worse-case scenario it can be removed cleanly. (acetone) Hot glue works well also, but it is there to stay once it gets on the feathers.

I make a slight exception for strutting turkeys. On those I divide the tail coverts in half so that they can drop into their normal horizontal position. A few stitches connects the covert section back together. If I need to make the tail removeable I will forego the stitches and glue the bottom section to the pygostyle.

wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 11:48:55 AM »

Rick, I like the hot glue better because I can plug the glue gun in and while its heating up I'm doing other steps, once heated I glue one side of the tail and again am off doing something else while it cools and sets ,IE getting the base ready drying the bird etc. I have used Bondo MANY times with great results it is totally personal preference although as Nancy says hot glue once on fluffy downy feathers IS there to stay. I actually have removed it from the quill area many times though with no  ill effects on the feathers Just in instances where I wanted the tail in a different postion or fanned more or less.

ludvik
Gold Member

beginner taxidermist :-)

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 09:40:34 AM »

thx for sharing !!! nice birds wingman

ludvik
weaselthumper
Silver Member

"Was It Good For You?"

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 08:38:59 PM »

Here it is........

"Now In High Definition"
RAW

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 01:51:27 AM »

[email protected]

Maybe this can help     www.rawescapes.com   state turkey tail plaque

To mark the spot of the kill is not a problem. Here are some of the other options.
Strutting tom turkey
Rooster pheasant in flight
Fanning grouse                                                           It is possible to laser etch or color photo
Photo, laser etched                                                    the photo of ladyarcher726 on the front of a
photo, color print                                                       plaque. Also hobbes pic's
Date of the kill

Thanks and happy hunting
Randy              RAW

GulfcoastWF
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 02:38:45 AM »

Eugene, I love this method with pheasants!  I do it with every one.... I started doing this with pen raised red golden and amherst pheasants some years back and now I sdo every on this way.  I do a few dozen a year to sell at shows and out of the shop....  Most birds were good looking specimens, all with the exception of the tails.  broken and far from presntable, I just make a trip to bass pro shops or cabelas and hit up the fly tying section a wall full of near perfect replacment tail clumps.  cut off the shaft ends, spead them to the desired shape and tape, lay over a 5 gallon bucket for a smooth curve and hot glue! sooooo simple.

Great tutorial as allways.

LJ

Gulfcoast Waterfowl                Freestyle Custom Art and Murals
www.gulfcoastwaterfowl.com         www.freestyleartist.com       

Gooter
Silver Member

My Taxidermy Assistant

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 06:22:51 AM »

UNBELIEVABLE!! I just submitted this posting and LOST the whole thing because of to large of an image file  There now I have had the pleasure to explain, AND TYPE. this all out TWICE!! Good grief :( GOOD LUCK!!!

If you just hit the back button when the screen that tells you your file is to big comes up, it will all be right there.  Then delete the photo(s), edit and re-attach them, and hit "post" again and you should be fine.  You won't need to re-type.  And then those of us who REALLY appreciate your shared wisdom will get it all just as you typed it out the first time!  Thank you for sharing that wisdom!
Eileen

my ROO   my Roman
Don't laugh!  Roosters make great pets!

"Those who say it cannot be done...
    ....should not interrupt the person doing it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS" # 13 Detached tails « previous next »
Jump to: