Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 03:48:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609668 Posts in 189992 Topics by 43001 Members
Latest Member: kscurdy
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: bear claws « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: bear claws  (Read 868 times)
Hunter88

« on: October 04, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »

I have a question about wiring Bear claws before you send it to the tannery. This is the first bear I've had brought into me and the tannery I use says they want the "claws wired".  I don't how to do this. Do I just wire them together on the outside, or is there a way to wire them from the inside? Can someone tell me how to do this so I don't lose a claw?
Randy Miller
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »

Drill a tiny hole in the base of the claw run a tiny wire through and twist the wire. If you do it right you might not even have to remove them when it comes back.
bmdakk (Bryan)
Platinum Member

Report to moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »

Wiring of Bear Claws
Bear Claw DiagramThe wiring of bear claws is certainly not mandatory, but we always highly suggest you do so. If not all claws, at least wiring the front claws would make a tremendous difference since it seems the front claws are more likely to slip than the rear claws. Should bear claws come off in the tumbling process, we make every effort to locate and return them with the hide. In some cases, all claws cannot be found and therefore cannot be returned. For your own protection, we suggest claws, especially browns, grizzlies, and cinnamons be wired onto the cores. This task can easily and quickly be performed once you know how to, and are prepared to do so.

The following supplies are needed:
Electric drill
5/64 bit
20 gauge. steel wire (any hardware store has this)
Pliers
Wire snips

Step 1 Cut wire into short pieces, about 2.5 long for Blacks and 3 for Browns.

Step 2 Drill hole thru side of claw with 5/64 bit. Hole must be near base of claw and must be centered, so that it penetrates the core.

Step 3 Stick piece of wire thru hole in the claw.

Step 4 Bend wire downward so ends can be twisted together. Twist them tightly at least 4 turns with pliers. By bending the wire downward and twisting the two ends very tight they can be left on the claw after the mount is completed and you can tell the customer the claws have been wired so hell never have to worry about them coming off the mount.

NEUTERING YOUR PET MAKES THEM LESS NUTS!!!!!!!!

You can't cure stupid, but stupid eventually cures itself.
bmdakk (Bryan)
Platinum Member

Report to moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »

http://www.carolinafurdressing.com/hideprep.html

scroll down and there is a drawing of how to do it.

bmdakk (Bryan)
Platinum Member

Report to moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:17:52 PM »

It`s absolutely not needed......invert your Bear feet and make your cut UP TO THE FOOT PAD and then invert......this gives the shavers the opportunity to have access to the ENTIRE foot including the pad to shave. The claws are buried in a "mitten" and cannot be lost or lost.

This is how we do all Bears and Cats and have never lost a claw......remember this is a business.....and every minute you spend on unnecessary procedures screw your bottom line.

Never lost or "wired" a single claw in 30 years......this goes for all bears and all cats......total waste of time.

And who was that again? who is WE?

bmdakk (Bryan)
Platinum Member

Report to moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »

Come on Toadstool you answer first!

Hunter88

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »

thanks Hudson and bryan. I already have the feet turned, I just wanted to see if this was something that was standard for some people because i'd never heard of it before. I didn't really think think that this is something that has ever really been a problem for most taxidermists, however I just wanted to cover all my bases before I decided that wiring the claws is a waste of my time. I'd just never heard of that request before from a tannery so I didn't know if this was something I should learn how to do for future mounts........ so I have come back to my original assumption that this would be a waste of my time and effort.   Thank you all for your input!!
bmdakk (Bryan)
Platinum Member

Report to moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 07:33:19 PM »

Till it comes back and whoops no claws. best to be safe than sorry! good luck.

Randy Miller
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »

Till it comes back and whoops no claws. best to be safe than sorry! good luck.

Not to negate what Hudson said, it's valid but better safe than sorry is right. NO tannery is without the potential to lose claws. NONE.
Wasatch Wildlife Tannery (Mike)

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 03:53:24 PM »

At Wasatch Wildlife Tannery we have never lost claws on any animal tanned.  Our process includes using plastic wire tires to afix a soft  leather boot over the paws prior to tumbling.  This procedure does an excellent job of protecting the claws. Steel wire thru the claws can be compromised by the saline in the pickle.  Especially fine wire.  It doesn't take very long for the wire to corrode to nothing. Nickle wire would be the best for this practice.

Wasatch Wildlife Tannery (Mike Hogenson)
Ogden, Utah
801-540-2869
David Patton
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:51:11 PM »

That salt water wont burn through the wire in 3 days. I been in this business since 1982. Bear claws will fall off. Two reasons mainly....1)...the bear was too long between the kill and the prep/salting...or 2)...the bear was in solution too long and the claw loosened from the core. If a tannery bags the feet then you have just as good a chance of getting your claws back as wiring the claws. Both methods will work. But dont ever think that claws wont fall off...they will.

Commercial tanning since 1982
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: bear claws « previous next »