dry preservative question.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 01:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617439 Posts in 191164 Topics by 43213 Members
Latest Member: abiegler
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: dry preservative question. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: dry preservative question.  (Read 1067 times)
tellis827

« on: October 07, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »

This is for those that use DP. Want to know opinions on who has the best DP and why. I've been using Bess Maid for years. I was getting ready to order some the other day and noticed it was around $4 a pound. Started looking at other companies and they seemed to be extremely cheaper. I was wondering why such a big difference on price. I've always heard the 2 best out there was Bessmaid and Joe Coombs and they are roughly $2 a pound difference in price
Thanks
Tim
Dave Byrd
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »

I've tried preservative from Van Dyke's(instant preserve),  Jim Allred taxidermy supply and Second 2 Nature(the old Dan Chase E-Z mount preservative).  Too me,  the instant preserve from Van Dyke's dusts up pretty heavy and turns into a messy paste when applied...really didn't like it.  Jim Allred's DP was more granule like and did not dust up or turn to paste while rubbing it in but I did seem to have allot of excess to shake off...I liked it better than Van Dyke's though.  Second 2 Nature's DP was a bit more powder like than Allred's with light dusting when applied.  I thought the DP absorbed really well and left very little excess to shake off the skin.  I also liked how the drying action seemed to be faster than the others and the hair could be easily groomed during drying time without fear of loosing any.

I really liked Second 2 Nature's dp so that is what I now use.  I've never tried Bess Maid but I understand that others who also use dp really like it.  Buy some small bags of DP from a few different companies and see what works best for you...That's what I did.

A 25lb bag from second 2 nature runs $45.00...Jim Allred's 25lb runs $39.95.  It can be bought in smaller quantities also.

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."
 - Martin Luther (1483-1546)
Steven Klee
Platinum Member

Steven Klee Studios

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »

You also might try a pm to Diesel 19. Absolutely one of the best dry preserve guys on here.

Best, Steve

Still Learning, and so are you....
Outwoods Taxidermy
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »

How About Krow Tan...lol ;D

What Happened to common sense.
rogerswildlife
Silver Member

Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:21:11 PM »

I have tried some others and there is some i have not tried . but the Dan Chase / 2nd to nature is what i like the best  have been using it for many years ! get some different ones and try like dave byrd said . good luck !

Member of the G.T.A.  board member
www.rogerswildlifetaxidermy.com
tellis827

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:45:20 PM »

Thanks guys.
Steve I sent pm to diesel 19, thanks. I enjoy the game head of the week posts and ALL the different pictures you post. What tanning method do you use.
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

I use Second-2-Nature.   It is an excellent DP.   I would use Bess Maid, but my wife does not like the "moth ball" aroma from it.  Van Dykes DP seems to be almost pure borax.

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 09:26:23 PM »

I've used most of them but Bess Maid was TO ME, the very best with less talc than all the others.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: dry preservative question. « previous next »