WING"TIPS" # 16 wing ''carding''
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 12:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS" # 16 wing ''carding'' « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: WING"TIPS" # 16 wing ''carding''  (Read 22623 times)
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« on: June 07, 2007, 01:12:03 AM »

It's been a while since I had time to post a wingtip little less even visit the forum. Here;s a tip several people asked about One which I'm sure will offer up many other  different ways to accomplish, Here is how I ''CARD" wings on large birds I will post the technique on smaller birds at another time. The photos show the basic procedure but it;s basically running a wire under the wing to support the primaries and secondaries. I use a needle with cape thread to hold the last primary to the wire loop, this holds the wing in extended position. I then tape and card the feathers into position, One thing you will see in the pics is I then either run thread wing to wing to further extend, curl or cup the wing  into the desired position for the desired effect, You can also run a wire into the breast of the bird to ''pull the leading primaries into position. The following pics will explain the technique better. Look at the pics and I think they will help out! GOOD LUCK!

Offering Retail and WHOLESALE Bird taxidermy and Training courses

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

https://plus.google.com/photos/113468900604901419826/albums

Philippians 4:13
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:15:20 AM »

And a couple more

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:18:32 AM »

Two more, one showing one of the finished birds

kevin scott
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:00:34 AM »

Great post as always !!! Thanks for all the info and pics that you post !!!

Kevin Scott
JP a.k.a Taxi-lover
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 02:06:20 AM »

Nice as always wingman!!! Thanks for this post!!

I have a dream...more trophies on my wall!
ludvik
Gold Member

beginner taxidermist :-)

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 07:17:28 AM »

thx for sharing wingman!!!
i have wonder  about the wingtips was gone.  :( and i be so happy when i see the wingtips was back again ;D. i hope you understand how mutch you helping pepole(me) whit this tips you post  ;D. i have done taxidermy 3 years now( only for a hobby) and still in the learning prosses.so very mutch in this tips are new for me :)
 i love every work you do !!!

i wathing for your dvd from a-z + wing tips ;D

LUDVIK
sorry my spellling(NORWAY)

NJTrapper
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 07:54:45 AM »

Very nice Wingman! 

I noticed between the last two pictures, the finished and unfinished, the wingtips are curled or flared. Would you mind sharing how this was achieved? Curling iron maybe?

Thanks for all the great info.

NJTrapper
rocky don
Gold Member

the best collie that walks the earth!!

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 08:14:05 AM »

i love it...keep it comin'.........great mount too!

i mean if you wanted a nice pork chop would you stick your head up the bulls a$$ or would you rather take the butchers advice!?
JonHarleTX
Platinum Member

Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:25:37 AM »

Your shop is just TOO CLEAN and organized.. SUmthing just ain't right there!!!!!

Great photo series.. thanks Wingman!

Jon~
hambone
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 09:17:21 AM »

Thanks again for the tips I also noticed the birds in the background, you have a gift for placing birds of all species in great positions keep up the good work I also think the dvd is something to think about. Hambone
full fan
Gold Member

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »

I have to agree with Jon on the clean shop ;D, but that is a new goal i have set for myself & doing a good job at it.
 Keep the "tip" coming even thou I've been doing this for 30yrs. I'm never to old to learn something new
Call of the Wild Taxidermy
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »

Glad your back, enjoy the information you so geneously provide us.
It's also good to see Dad chillin out in your shop!

Do it right, or not at all.
hambone
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 07:26:25 PM »

Wingman I really like the position of that lone standing rooster in the second photo in the background I am assuming that you wrap your own pheasant bodies, if so I was wondering what you wrap with, I use an excelsior base and then finish with tow but you can not find tow anymore so I was wondering what your process is, this would be an interesting future Wing Tip also.     Hambone
stuffinducks
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 08:31:56 PM »

Wingman,

I was wondering when you were going to check in! Thanks for taking the TIME and post these great tips. You have taught this ole dog a few tips.

THANKS for your's truly Jeff Nelson aka stuffinducks.

BTW, Nice Tunda Swan!

Also, are you removing the meat from the third digit/primary area? I do...takes more time but all meat and marrow is removed and re-stiched up.

Jeff Nelson's - www.wingsinflightbirdtaxidermy.com
Payson, Utah
wingman
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 11:02:09 PM »

Thanks for all the kind comments, I do appreciate them, Time is a precious commodity and thats all it really takes to post these tips, Unfortunately there NEVER seems to be enough time! I have a young family and my wife is due anyday now so I will try to continue to take pics of different topics as they present themselves throughout the workweek. Now to answer a few questions, JON, the studio is new, 1 year this month and I do try to keep it clean and organized as I ''feel'' I produce better work that way, STRANGE I know!! Trapper, I will do a wingcurling topic sometime But it;s done using a heated modeling tool ,hambone, Go back several wingtips and I show the wrapped bodies and excelsior necks I do wrap all my bodies except that of large species swans, geese etc. Stuffinducks, I occasionally remove the flesh from that area BUT usually end up injecting formalin there as a rule, Removing the flesh is always a good Idea but I have good luck injecting it also! Once again thanks to all for your kind words! Later............

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: WING"TIPS" # 16 wing ''carding'' « previous next »
Jump to: