My Little Degreasing Set-Up
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 08:47:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1787482 Posts in 222784 Topics by 49253 Members
Latest Member: buck3y3
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: My Little Degreasing Set-Up « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My Little Degreasing Set-Up  (Read 1997 times)
bobaloo11
Bronze Member

Email
« on: March 29, 2016, 05:20:19 PM »

Finally started the degreasing my doe skull.  Assembled the controll box last week.  It's set to turn on the heater at 120degF and shut it off at 125deg.  It worked well on a dry run of a couple days, let's see how it works in the real world.
Here's a couple of pictures... I hope they post.

Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:51:39 PM »

I have a Sous-vide setup that I have never used. Have contemplated doing this with it more than once. How many heaters will that controller run?

bobaloo11
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:48:22 PM »

I'm not sure if the Sous-vide was the same as my "cheapie Chinese" model.  Mine handles a 350watt heater fine.  I tested it with a 1000watt for two days and it worked fine.

I used the second plug for the circulation pump, so it's always "hot" but it could have been used for another heater or for cooling. But it also depends on the wiring of your shop, I would just guess that if it's for standard 110volts I would say the wattage shouldn't exceed 1500.  I'm just guessing here.  110volts @ 15amp (circuit breaker/fuse) = 1650 watts.  That's the total wattage on that circuit before the breaker trips or the fuse blows... that's on paper anyway.  But that doesn't mean your control can handle it.

In closing, it depends, since I don't know if your Sous-vide has the same specs as my Inkbird brand one.  Some more info on yours may help. (Voltage, Wattage and or Amps). Any 2 of these three variables could give you a better answer.
andy41372
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 10:33:51 PM »

The cheap Chinese version I used on 1000 watt heater worked fine for about aonth then died when u removed it I saw why. The entire back melted. I emails person I got it from and was informed only rated for a couple hundred watts there is a "better" Chinese version available for about $20 and rated at 1500 watts just be carefull and don't push too hard not worth burning down your house
QBD
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 09:35:28 AM »

I think I would take it a step further.  If the unit is not UL approved, I would not use it regardless of the rating. 

A bad day in the woods beats a good day at work anytime.
bobaloo11
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 05:45:41 PM »

I just checked the company website and it's rated at 10amps @ 110volts that would make the maximum heater wattage to be 1100watts.  I do agree with the UL certification.  I have contacted the company about this matter to see what they have to say.

I have opened it up and checked for hotspots on the wiring and the controller itself.  So far so good.
peted
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »

Could show a pic of the heating element
Thanks
bobaloo11
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 03:10:46 PM »

Here's the 350watt heater I'm using.  The brown stuff on it is super hi-temp silicone I put on just as a precaution.  This heater is not supposed to be totally immersed but I did it anyway after slathering it in silicone.  I know it's a little risky BUT I'm not always smart, but I can be very optimistic.  ;)  The heater was only a few bucks on Amazon.

lokireptiles
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »

I agree with QBD. not burning down your house, garage or shed is probably worth the extra investment. There are loads of temperature controllers that have been designed for reptile hobbyists and for household use that are UL rated. I use a controller that's accurate to 1/10th of a degree for my degreaser. Yes I did pay extra for it. But it does also have several safety features to protect you and your property.

Beware of Cheap Chinese goods - You may get what you paid for!
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 07:38:30 PM »

That immersion heater looks like one that recently started a fire. Be careful with it.

bobaloo11
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »

The heater is UL approved.  The control company stated that it is CE and is marked accordingly, and it is.  I guess that is the equivalent to UL in Canada.  There are videos on youtube showing a guy that has several of them that he uses for egg incubators.  Another shows them being used to control large chest freezer compressors to keep beer kegs at the correct temps.  I'll still keep a close eye on it, though.

On another note, the soapy water ammonia mixture in my setup is just as clear, sudsy and clean as when I started. Tomorrow will mark a week.  Do you think it is done?  Remember it did macerate for almost 3 months.
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 08:48:21 AM »

Best way to tell is to take the skull, rinse well in hot water and let it dry for a few days. In a good light, you will be able to see problem areas if there are any.

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: My Little Degreasing Set-Up « previous next »
Jump to: