price raise on shoulder mount whitetails?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 03:55:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794011 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49576 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: price raise on shoulder mount whitetails? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: price raise on shoulder mount whitetails?  (Read 8430 times)
Richard C
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »

The best quote by Bill Yox since I have known him , "you guys don't have the balls to charge what you're worth!"
Paul B
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »

When I first joined the Jersey association, some of the guys that were in the industry longer then me were pushing the price of $500-$550 was to cheap, raise your prices, that was 14 years ago and that's still where their stuck.
Tahrhunter
Silver Member

www.taxidermy.co.nz

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 03:00:54 AM »

Guys,
this situation pretty much sums up all that is wrong with this business... people do not treat it like a business.
Do you think the big players like McKenzies hesitate to increase their prices every year or when costs of raw materials or labour goes up?
Get real run you business like a business, the purpose of being in business is to make a profit. End of story.

Tanglewood Taxidermy
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 08:54:07 PM »

Guys,
this situation pretty much sums up all that is wrong with this business... people do not treat it like a business.
Do you think the big players like McKenzies hesitate to increase their prices every year or when costs of raw materials or labour goes up?
Get real run you business like a business, the purpose of being in business is to make a profit. End of story.

AND even if you are a part timer doing 10 to 20 heads or less, run your business like it was a PROFITABLE FULL TIME BUSINESS!
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 07:25:28 AM »

Based on what I paid for some flunky to work on the front end of my truck last week, I SHOULD be getting $1,010.00 for a shoulder mount.   Price on his shop door boldly stated "Labor $125.00 per hour"!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:29:54 AM by joeym » Logged

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.co
tmpatton22
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 10:28:13 PM »

I debated long and hard about raising my shoulder mount price.  I kept hearing taxidermist say I raised my price and took in more deer.  In the back of my mind I always thought that wont work where I am but low and behold here we are with about 2 months left in our season and after raising my prices I'm 1 shoulder mount ahead of where I was at the same point last year. I think I will be going up by another $50.00 next season because realistically I would like to be in the $700.00 - $800.00 range (at least that's my end goal). I guess what I'm saying is if you do quality work, treat clients right, and do what you say your going to do you will find yourself wondering why you didn't raise your prices sooner.

- Weather you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.
- You can't Fix stupid
- The secret of getting ahead is getting started
- Opportunity usually looks a lot like hard work
boone90
Silver Member

Dan Hastings

Email
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 02:22:39 PM »

I have not gone pro YET, and this is purely anecdotal, but I always look at threads like this as a Canadian and laugh a little....granted life is significantly more expensive here, especially in Vancouver where I'm from (average run of the mill home is $1million), but the going rate for a deer shoulder mount in BC is about $950.00 before taxes with some shops charging as much as $1100 or more and people pay it readily. Just interesting....everything is relative I guess. Like George says, IF a %20 price increase costs you %20 of your business then you have a %20 increase in free time at no cost to you. Good math.
Paul B
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 08:50:56 PM »

Just received a few new supplier catalogs, some whitetail forms are now over $80 bucks. Add shipping and your close to $100 on a form if you order a few at a time.
dhart
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »

where I reside at taxidermists only get 350- 400 for a whitetail shoulder mount. I think I need to re think my Wisconsin location good lawd

You need to relocate, in my neck of the woods here in Wisconsin, we have newbies charging $525!  If you have experience and produce a quality mount, $600 is the going rate!
Boneyard33
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »

Im in my first hunting season taking new heads. Even without advertising that Im taking heads, only word of mouth from friends, I've landed 10 heads this year at a price of $575. A lot of them don't bat an eye, but I do know of at least 3 that I've lost because of price though. Man I have some really bad mounts that I paid $450 for and their not worth $300 IMO. Some customers just don't care about quality though or seem to have a hard time telling between a truly good mount and one thats sub par. Im new to all this, but as someone with a fresh perspective, I think the price should reflect your area and the talent in your area. I've seen a very WIDE range of quality out there  in my area and if you're good and put the detail into each mount, then I think you need to be around $600...more if your region can support it. Theres another taxidermist in the area whos really good and charges $650 I think. He doesn't seem to have any trouble filling up his schedule.
Randy
Gold Member

Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

Email
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 10:25:52 PM »

The same old question.  I remember the same The same topic 35 years ago.  The best guide for taxidermy price I have seen was a book written by a guy that was connected to Jonas Bros.  Ono Van (forget his last name)???.  Great book.  It shows how to include the obvious such as tanning, forms, supplies etc.  Then goes on to explain hot to include shop/mortgage, overhead, insurance, etc.  One thing taxidermists forget is MARKUP on supplies.  Yes markup.  This book explains it well.  Only about 20 pages.  As far as pricing the taxidermy industry is made up of about 80 plus percent beginners, rookies, garage, etc. taxidermists. They dont know how to price their work and most likely never will.  I am the highest priced shop within 100 miles, maybe 150 miles and cant get all my work done.  I am going up next year.  FYI for those out there $650 deer, $1300 elk, $210/foot bear rugs, $4,000 LS Cougar (extra for nice habitat and rock work) $1,000 for LS small game bobcat fox coon (this one will go up substantially next year).  Another big one is insurance.  Most taxidermists dont insure their shop and business.  If your shop is robbed, burned etc and you dont have insurance on your clients property in your custody,  your in BIG TROUBLE.  Look for a business policy that has Balies coverage (insurance for others property in your possession).

Enough said.  Taxidermy will be under priced forever,its a lost cause.

Quote "Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither" Ben Franklin
Amanda W.
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »

The most recent Breakthrough issue has an excellent article about figuring your prices across the board. Definitely recommend getting your hands on it.
pir^2h
Platinum Member

Retrievers give you the bird

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 08:11:06 PM »

I don't have a horse in this race since I am only a hobbyist and pretty much plan to stay that way.  I have plenty of people that want me to do work for them and I turn them all down because they think I should do it for less than a taxidermy shop will.  (Which by the way the prices in this area are from $299.00 to $425.00) The way I see it, the part timer should actually be charging more than a full time shop.  My logic is if the part timer has a full time job his taxidermy is like working overtime.  You wouldn't work overtime without getting paid time and a half would you?  Of for less than your full time job pays?  Am I off base on this?

\\\"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"///
J P Baker
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »

I don't have a horse in this race since I am only a hobbyist and pretty much plan to stay that way.  I have plenty of people that want me to do work for them and I turn them all down because they think I should do it for less than a taxidermy shop will.  (Which by the way the prices in this area are from $299.00 to $425.00) The way I see it, the part timer should actually be charging more than a full time shop.  My logic is if the part timer has a full time job his taxidermy is like working overtime.  You wouldn't work overtime without getting paid time and a half would you?  Of for less than your full time job pays?  Am I off base on this?

You are correct!!
Finally someone that gets it!!!
J P Baker
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »

I started the season at $725 but raised it to $800 as of the first.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: price raise on shoulder mount whitetails? « previous next »
Jump to: