Opossum ears
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 06:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1793619 Posts in 224099 Topics by 49553 Members
Latest Member: jirvin2469
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Opossum ears « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Opossum ears  (Read 1026 times)
kickstart59
Silver Member

Email
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:30:40 AM »

What do you do with opossum ears to mount them? They are as thin as paper. Do you split them?
What would you use as an ear liner?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:41:23 AM by kickstart59 » Logged
Jim Ardle
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:29:27 AM »

I had asked this same question a long time ago, the first time I mounted a Opossum. The best thing to do is card both sides of the ear and let it dry. Its done after you mount it. I have a few in my freezer from trapping season this year, I want to try and open them like I do squirrel ears (Small hypodermic needle and water). If it works, I'll try and do a tutorial on it. 

Jim Ardle
Wildlife Recreations Taxidermy
205 Majestic Drive
Saylorsburg, PA 18353
(610) 597-0099
1stturkey
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »

In the past I have opened them as far as I could, without tearing, then fill with a small amount of epoxy sculpt.  Then shape and card as mentioned.  That or cast and mold them.
Jim Ardle
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 10:47:44 PM »

In the past I have opened them as far as I could, without tearing, then fill with a small amount of epoxy sculpt.  Then shape and card as mentioned.  That or cast and mold them.

How do you cast & mold Opossum ears....that sounds interesting

Jim Ardle
205 Majestic Drive
Saylorsburg, PA 18353
(610) 597-0099
1stturkey
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 06:27:25 PM »

Probably as with most things in taxidermy there are different ways but what worked for me was to sever the ears, freeze into desired position and then use silicone to mold it.  I just used the stuff in the tube.  Then I used smooth cast to cast the ears.  Paint and install when mounting.  I was able to get several casts from each mold.
Jim Ardle
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »

That sounds like an awesome tutorial or video concept. The only thing I have ever molded was a corn snake carcass,

Jim Ardle
205 Majestic Drive
Saylorsburg, PA 18353
(610) 597-0099
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 10:22:24 PM »

Jim, your way works as well and a helluva lot cheaper. The best small game guy who ever lived was my friend Henry Wichers Inchemuk and in his article on squirrels, he says he only carded them.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Allie
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »

Jim, your way works as well and a helluva lot cheaper. The best small game guy who ever lived was my friend Henry Wichers Inchemuk and in his article on squirrels, he says he only carded them.
Really? Where is this article? I Googled it and can't find it. Not that I don't believe you, George, but you are getting kind of old.

I'm just surprised to hear this, because most everyone on this forum recommends turning them. I've only done a handful, but have never been able to do one without splitting it. If Henry really just carded them, that's what I'll do next time!
George Roof
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:47:24 AM »

Allie, good luck with your Google. The article appeared in the American Taxidermist magazine. If you have a collection of them, you can find it in Volume 28 No.5.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:59:32 AM by George Roof » Logged

snagmaster49
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 11:09:36 PM »

Wow George there was taxidermy before social media,it's not true if it's not on the internet 😂

Richard M. Ward
Jim Ardle
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »

George,
If I recall correctly, you gave me the advice on carding Opossum ears. My question for you though is regarding your tutorial on mounting a squirrel cased skinned. You mentioned your process for using the real teeth, could you explain that to me?

Jim Ardle
205 Majestic Drive
Saylorsburg, PA 18353
(610) 597-0099
George Roof
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »

Squirrels would be a whole lot different that for an opossum.  With a squirrel (or groundhog, beaver, rabbit, or rat) the teeth grow directly out of the front of the mandibles.    With squirrels, I just take a Dremel saw and cut off the mandible and teeth about a half inch back from the mouth opening.  I leave them attached if possible.  When you make this cut, however, you cut off the semi-circular teeth as well.  I usually take a drop or two of super glue and put it right at the gum line where the teeth segments will be locked in and won't fall out.  I clean under the skin of the mandibles. The nose gets a bit tricky but can be done.  When the hide is prepped, I simply cut off the nose and slot the top and bottom jaws to accept the cut off mandibles.  A bit of Critter Clay in those slots lets you seat the teeth and mandible.  Then you can tuck the lip skin in behind the teeth using japan pins.

Jim Ardle
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 09:42:42 PM »

Awesome....thank you. I mount a lot of squirrels and want to try one with this method

Jim Ardle
205 Majestic Drive
Saylorsburg, PA 18353
(610) 597-0099
George Roof
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »

BTW Allie, the older I get, the better I was.  I should hope that you, one day will reach that age.  It allows what memory you do have to provide help for those willing to take it.

Allie
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »

BTW Allie, the older I get, the better I was.  I should hope that you, one day will reach that age.  It allows what memory you do have to provide help for those willing to take it.
Thanks, George, I had heard that about you. I can only hope to reach an age as ripe as yours. And thanks sincerely for all the advice (and entertainment) I've gotten from you on this invaluable forum, I've even used some of it. Maybe I'll get to read that article next time I find myself passing through DE.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Opossum ears « previous next »
Jump to: