Twist on antler rebuilding!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2018, 04:46:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49576 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Twist on antler rebuilding! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Twist on antler rebuilding!  (Read 35712 times)
Shannon
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 08:07:34 PM »

Boxie, we talked earlier on your other antler repair post.  Once again, excellent post, pics, and info.  Antler repair is something that I have farmed out in the past, but have always been interested in doing to save turn around time, and put more $ in my pocket.  Thanks again for the follow up info, can't wait to see that brow finished.  Shannon.
Boxie
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 10:46:01 PM »

Mike,

The Epo-Grip Seam and Putty Repair will blend into itself for up to 24 hours so just be sure you have enough over the blemish.  You can always sand it down to blend.

good luck,

Boxie

Don't sell yourself short !
Boxie
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 12:15:48 AM »

Shannon,

I appreciate your words.  Thanks.  I did finish the brow today and when I get time tomorrow I will post the painting steps as well as the finished results. 

later,

Boxie

tod
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 12:25:02 AM »

this reply is to mike  i did a repair on a chewed main beam and used the two part epoxy putty from wall mart that u get in the automotive section it's super strong sands well the reason i used this is because I've never used the epo grip and had never heard of it at the time if you get in a pinch run out of epo grip the epoxie putty worked great.Tod

If you haven't got time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find time to do it over again?
                    So do it right or don't do it at all !!
Boxie
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 10:48:18 PM »

These are the rest of the steps I used to create his right brow.,,,Boxie

Boxie
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 10:52:09 PM »

,,,,more steps!

Boxie
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »

,,,and last but not least,,,,

rbear
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 01:51:21 AM »

That was cool! Thanks
Ralph

Common sense is the highest form of logic
Shannon
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 09:07:36 AM »

Thanks a million for all the excellent info. and pics to go along with.  Your antler repair work compliments your excellent taxidermy work.  That deer looks great, soft looking, and very much alive.  I've got a bunch of capes I'm tanning right now, but when I'm finished I can't wait to start experimenting with antler repair.  I've got tons of sheds with squirrel chews, and several sets of antlers with broken tines to practice on.  Thanks again for great info. on a subject that either not many do well, or tight lipped on secrets/tips to do a convincing job.  Shannon.
TaylorsTaxidermy
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »

boxie, thanks for the educational presentation, and your deer looks great.  is that a semi-sneak, head up series???  either way it looks good....thanks again...
Boxie
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »

Shannon,

Thanks for you kind compliment, again!  Stay tuned in because as soon as I can find the pictures I will post more on this post covering various points (pun intended) and how I dealt with them. 

take care,

Boxie

Taylor's Taxidermy,

You are welcome, also, and thanks for your words.  The form is a Meder #601 and I shorten the nose by 1/2 inch and adjusted the brisket area to fit the cape.

take care,

Boxie

Boxie
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 09:36:46 PM »

More info you all may find helpful,,,,,,,Boxie

Boxie
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 09:05:31 PM »

Here I just loaded the Seam and Putty repair onto my wire and took a artist brush and water and started sculptoring a point to match the other.  I did not have to use the "icing method" on this one to get the desired texture.  Just play around wth the putty untill it start looking like an antler.   Yes,   I should have finished the anters before I started to match the rebuilt brow.  Live and learn. 

Boxie 

Shannon
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 09:20:28 PM »

Very nice work, with just a brush.  That putty sure looks fun to work with!  I just built a wire sculpting tool like the one you have pictured.  Looks like it will work just fine for appliying the veining.I like how you feathered out the detail of those common base points onto the actual beam.  This entire post has been one of the  best in a long while, in my opinion.  Have you ever built  anything real big, like say a main beam of an antler? 
Boxie
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 10:00:36 PM »

Shannon,

I have done a few main beams but just including a G4 point with it.  Pictured here is the largest job I did.  I told the customer that the repairs would be greater then the mount.  He said no problem because he could have paid out the whazoo if the deer had not broken the points..  They had a picture of him in velvet at a feeder for me to go by!  He was happy.  Thhis job spurred me to find the best way to tackle it and Epo Grip was my findings and answer.  This was my first job with the Seam and Putty repair!

take care,

Boxie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Twist on antler rebuilding! « previous next »
Jump to: