Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 09:31:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597898 Posts in 188399 Topics by 42677 Members
Latest Member: kanlanazz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Making your own hide paste (Only $11.40 a gallon with shipping) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Making your own hide paste (Only $11.40 a gallon with shipping)  (Read 69013 times)
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« on: September 08, 2007, 01:43:19 AM »

Alot of people have asked about the Dynamite 111 wall paper paste used as hide paste so I figured I'd show how I do it. The hide pastes you buy from suppliers cost $18.00 to $37.00 per gallon.......BEFORE SHIPPING.....so with the weight you're  actually looking at $25.00 to $45.00 per gallon conservatively.  The hide paste I make is $11.40 per gallon AFTER shipping. I want to make this clear though, I do not use it because of cost, I use it because it works better than anything else I have personally found. The mix I am making here was done with McKenzie dry hide paste, but Joe Coombs is also superb & cost's pretty much the same.

First buy a 5 gallon bucket of Dynamite 111 at Sherwin Williams & divide it in half.

Then dump 5 lbs. of dry hide paste in and start mixing.

You will start to see your consistency really start to change after the second bag.(compare to the first pic)

Keep adding 5 lbs at a time

After you are done mixing the third 5 lb bag you will really feel it start to thicken up & will probably be getting tired

So for the fourth bag you hire a lil'mexican to do the mixing for you ;)   ;D

This is what 4 bags ( 20 lbs.) of dry hide paste and 2 1/2 gallons of dynamite 111 will produce. About 1 1/2 gallons have been removed and mixed separately in the latter stages because it will overflow so you are actually getting about 5 1/2 gallons of hide paste out of 2 1/2 gallons of Dynamite 111 & 20 lbs. dry hide paste.

This is a side by side comparison of Van Dyke's AFG hide paste which they call their "Premier Product"" and the 111 & dry hide paste combo.

The piece of leather on your left is being held for 5 minutes by the AFG and on the right is the 111/hide paste. Notice how the one on the left is drumming and peeling away & the one on the right has stayed directly in it's place.

As I said, it's not about saving money, but this stuff is THE BEST in my opinion!! And when you're looking at spending $11.40 a gallon after shipping compared to $25.00 to $45.00 per gallon it is worth it. All that I pin on my deer is the eyes & front lip, the hide paste hold's all the rest with excellent tac & minimal to no drumming at all  and it is still workable for around the next day & a half.

One more bonus, here in Texas we have been having ALOT of rain combined with 90-100% humidity & 90+ degree temperatures & I have NOT had one speck of mold in my hide paste.

Prices were based on buying 8-5lb. bags of dry hide paste from McKenzie which in that bulk average out to $10 a bag with shipping & 1-5 gallon bucket of Sherwin-Williams Dynamite 111 which is regular price $36 with sales tax.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:48:29 AM by michael p. » Logged

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
crankin
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 02:33:31 AM »

thanks for the tip michael!

COLLIN
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:41:11 AM »

Yellow or white dextrine and hot water. Some bacteriacide is all you need.

Or just use the Sherwin Willaims CLAY BASED straight.

I use  EPO-GRIP 2 part on the face and the detail areas and the Clay based over the wider areas.  No mixing just apply and mount.
Samantha.
Gold Member

I'm an Australian.

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 06:18:36 AM »

Mick your just to damn clean to be a taxidemist.

Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 07:06:51 AM »

That's actually a golf club in his drill.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
michael p.
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 09:53:30 AM »

Mick your just to damn clean to be a taxidemist.

I only get dirty when i'm Naked Samantha ;D ;D ;D ;D LMAO!!!!!

Not lookin' ahead to see
C.C.
michael p.
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:18:13 AM »

Yellow or white dextrine and hot water. Some bacteriacide is all you need.

Or just use the Sherwin Willaims CLAY BASED straight.

I use  EPO-GRIP 2 part on the face and the detail areas and the Clay based over the wider areas.  No mixing just apply and mount.

John, respectfully with Sherwin Willaims CLAY BASED straight you will have to do a hell of alot of PP'ing (pinning & praying ;) ) it is absolutely not enough tac for a deer hide. It may be suitable straight on a squirrel or something, but ANYTHING bigger & it will not have enough grip.

The Yellow or white dextrine and hot water with some bacteriacide is also very, very good! But  I have found this combo hide paste & 111 alot better though for deer & bigger, just my personal opinion though.

Why would you use 2 different glues when you have an all in one ??? If straight clay based is strong enough to hold the rest of your mount in place.....why is not strong enough for the facial area ??? Not enough grip ??? Just curious :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 03:23:24 PM by michael p. » Logged

Not lookin' ahead to see
C.C.
Samantha.
Gold Member

I'm an Australian.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 10:42:11 AM »

I only get dirty when i'm Naked Samantha ;D ;D ;D ;D LMAO!!!!!

Ahhhhhh, now I just aint going there!

BTW - thanks for the hide paste recipie.
Rich H.
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 03:12:15 PM »

Nice white shoe's buddy.....how many pair you got....lmao

By the way i got my package you sent....Thanks
300savage
Platinum Member

Life Is Good

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 03:18:21 PM »

Thanks Mike is that Joe Coombs dry hide paste or any dry hide paste?   How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? LOL
Becky P
Platinum Member

One must believe the glass is half full.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 03:20:41 PM »

Any place else carry it besides Sherwin Williams ??? Just came from there and they don't carry that brand. I've used their Roman 732 (I think that's the number) with mixed results but I only added about half that much in dextrine.
Dumb question warning: Are you using "hide paste" or "dextrine", or is it the same?

www.beckyswildlifestudio.com
Accepting wholesale work - birds, lifesize, gameheads.
michael p.
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »

Nice white shoe's buddy.....how many pair you got....lmao
By the way i got my package you sent....Thanks

Oh trust me, I got my head chewed off by the lil'mexican the last 2 days for wearing my new shoes, but I wipe them down every night. Besides, I got them on clearance at Bealls CHEAP!! Glad you got the package.

Thanks Mike is that Joe Coombs dry hide paste or any dry hide paste?   How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? LOL

What I was using is McKenzie, but I like Coombs ALOT also. Honestly either is sufficent, but Coombs is probably the better because of a little more tac & consistenct in the body of the paste. But either is better than what you find on the market in pre-mixed hide pastes in my opinion.

It takes me about 3 minutes to get ready because I open the studio at 9:00 A.M.  I usually am not out of bed till 8:50 A.M. I sleep those last 2 hours the best when the lil'mexican isn't rubbing her cold ass feet on me or our little  dog isn't trying to dig me out from the bottom of my igloo covers like i'm a bone or something!! I keep the A.C. well below 70* at night so i'm usually buried way under there :) and the lil'mexican has ice cycles on her nose! She gets so damn mad about the frigid temp but she'll get over it ;).......one day ;D

Any place else carry it besides Sherwin Williams ??? Just came from there and they don't carry that brand. I've used their Roman 732 (I think that's the number) with mixed results but I only added about half that much in dextrine.
Dumb question warning: Are you using "hide paste" or "dextrine", or is it the same?

Sherwin-Williams should have it, if not I don't think a home Depot Brand would hurt, just don't get the cherapest.

I am using hide paste, but am gonna try straight dextrine for crapz & giggles one day. Dry hide pastes also consist of high-fibre & whiting also.

Not lookin' ahead to see
C.C.
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 04:23:10 PM »

I have been using the Dynamite brand, clay based adhesive for about two months now, and I can honestly tell you it has more tack than buckeye. You won't have to pin anything if your placement is correct. If something doesn't fit, no water based adhesive or epoxy based adhesive is going to hold it. Make sure the fit is good, a slightly smaller form is best, and you won't have to worry about the fit or drumming for that matter.

300savage
Platinum Member

Life Is Good

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 04:42:28 PM »

Becky Your sherwin williams store can contact another sherwin williams and they can ship it there, Thats what I did Matt had given me a number to a sherwin williams in his area went to my sherwin williams and gave them the number.  Benjamin Moore should carry it as well
mshipman
Platinum Member

Killen Merriams in SD

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 04:44:36 PM »

I'm gonna give a try when I run low on the five gallons I've already got.

http://www.shipmanstaxidermy.com/

Wholesale Rugging Service
Michael Shipman
Cohutta, GA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Making your own hide paste (Only $11.40 a gallon with shipping) « previous next »