lets see eveyones salt tables
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 04:37:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: lets see eveyones salt tables « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: lets see eveyones salt tables  (Read 32965 times)
Bobbi Meyer
Platinum Member

I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

WWW Email
« on: November 30, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »

I know noone's asked about this recently, but thought if we put our pictures out there that maybe we could get some neat ideas from each other.
I've attached pictures of my salt setup.
The top picture is what it looks like closed.
The bottom picture is with the top raised to access the mess underneath.

Bobbi Meyer
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 06:10:24 PM »

I've got a squeegee on a long handle that I use to scoot the salt to one end so I can use a dust pan to get it out.
The next picture is what it looks like after it's cleaned.
The whole thing is coated with fiberglass resin, so it cleans up like a dream.

Bobbi Meyer
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »

storage underneath for dried hides and antlers, and my pickling tubs and salt tub on rollers with a rope handle.

Platinum Member

Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 07:51:41 PM »

Tarp, what's that.
Nice set up, your table  BUT where would I put the lifesize bears and lifesize deer, ls sheep, ls buffalo, ls moose, ls red stag,  IT'S GREAT FOR DEER CAPE, but not much else,I have 35 lifesize deer salted right now ALL OVER THE FLOOR!

Liberalism IS a MENTAL ILLNESS !
Bobbi Meyer
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 07:57:47 PM »

folks around here are too poor to afford stuff like that !  ;D I hope your concrete is painted !

Rich H.
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »

Tarp, what's that.
Nice set up, your table  BUT where would I put the lifesize bears and lifesize deer, ls sheep, ls buffalo, ls moose, ls red stag,  IT'S GREAT FOR DEER CAPE, but not much else,I have 35 lifesize deer salted right now ALL OVER THE FLOOR!

Im with dennis.....i had 31 moose capes salted and laying all over the floor....
Bobbi Meyer
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 08:01:44 PM »

I just do taxidermy part time, and we don't have any moose, bears, or elk in these parts, so I've never had to worry about that. If I had that kind of work I sure as heck wouldn't be working out of my garage, and driving 72 miles a day to work !   ;)

michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 08:15:16 PM »

I have a 24X20 salt room to the back-side of my shop with a drain that runs outside. I salt everything on the floor in here. I also use it to store all my forms & I hang the the dried capes from the rafters. I also have a double lock 6' roll-up door on it & burglar bars on the windows to store my clints horns. I accumulate a bunch of crap I don't need so these 2 pics are from the day I cleaned it out  before the season started.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:50:54 PM by michael p. » Logged

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
mk
Platinum Member

-30 below

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »

mp, why does it say dans taxidermy?  ill post a set up of my salting area. later on to busy right now.

Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting implies the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Jeffs Tax

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 08:37:48 PM »

Dumb question.  How can fluids drain off the skin when it is laying on the floor??  I converted a 10x12 storage building into a salt room.  Ran two 10' 2x4's along the back wall with a brace in the middle & put plastic tubs underneath.  After salting, place skin over 2x4 & all fluids drain off into tubs.  Just like hanging a towel over the shower.  Four shelving units hold skins when their dry until I send them off to the tannery. 
Rich H.
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 09:04:55 PM »

I salt my skins on the floor and then hang them to dry just like you.....but before fully dry i fold them up and sand them out
rbear
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 10:34:47 PM »

Bobbi I like the table. I was thinking of making something similar but with nylon screen thinking it would hold the salt on the hide but let the fluid drain off. What do you think?
Ralph

Common sense is the highest form of logic
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »

Dumb question.  How can fluids drain off the skin when it is laying on the floor??  

Actually I lay some 4X8 sheets of hardiboard on the floor elevated from the rear by a 2X4 so it will drain.

mp, why does it say dans taxidermy? 

Because I bought it as a pre-existing Taxidermy shop that was owned before by my dad.....Dan. I  gradually worked my own identity into it for the name, but it has a reputation dating back to 1974 so why change a name that people know ??? It's gotten to the point now where honestly alot of the older local customers think I am too expensive.....but.....I take in more deer than my father did per season from a younger generation, out of towners (Houston & Austin) & some old timers that will pay for quality. Next year after the building is painted it will have the new signs MAD Taxidermy, regardless, the "D" or Dan will never leave the company name out of the respect I have for my father over what he built in 1974 that others called him a damn fool for trying.

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
Bobbi Meyer
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 11:30:48 PM »

you probably want something a little more sturdy than plastic screen to hold the hides up. the white tubes you see running across are something like 3/4" PVC pipe, and the were still bowing under the  pressure. So this year I ran the extra two firring strips under them to help support it. And thats plastic lattice like you would use for under your porch on top. I wanted everything very easy to clean, so its either plastic or fiberglass coated.
The wheels on the table I just added this year. Makes it really easy to pull out from the wall so it's easier to salt the hides. And if I was so inclined, roll it out to my driveway and hose the hole thing off.

Yeager1
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 11:31:10 PM »

Michael P, is that yard sale items out by the sign? Looks like a couple Dan [email protected] forms in the pile from what I can tell?  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: lets see eveyones salt tables « previous next »
Jump to: