Setting Whitetail antlers
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 05:06:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794014 Posts in 224169 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Setting Whitetail antlers « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Setting Whitetail antlers  (Read 7586 times)
JennaLD
Silver Member

Email
« on: December 02, 2007, 09:12:35 AM »

I am about ready to attempt my first buck mount. I watched a video that I bought, but it really doesnt go into detail at all about setting the antlers on a whitetail.I have a pretty good idea on how you do it, but I just want to make sure I am doing it the correct way. Can anyone help me out? Thanks
gilestaxidermy
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:38:27 AM »

just wanted to give u a little input on this...the distance from bottom of antler to bac of eye on the form is 2 fingers.the angle of the antler should b in line with front of the lip.. once it has been lined up, take some bondo  on the form n set the antlers in this on the correct angle and distance...hope this helps out...
Low T
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »

Two fingers?? would that be on a small hand, or on a large hand?
You can measure from the back corner of the eye on the hide to the edge of the antler burr hole, then set your antlers to that measurement after you place the glass eye on the form. Take some pictures of your skinned out heads in the future so you can see the angle you need to set them at.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
Keith in IL.
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:25:13 PM »

I take measure from front corner of eye to bur (R) & (L) measure front eye to tip of main beams (R) & (L).
buckslayer
Gold Member

Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »

take a paint stirer from the home deot or lowes or hardware store and make a line from the end 1 1/2 inch from the end and set each side to that and the measure from the end of nose to tip of antler and write it down and then they can go back on exactly how they came off

Jesse Carr
Realistic Wildlife Taxidermy
Saratoga, NY
(518)695-3858
JennaLD
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:29:21 PM »

How would you attach them? The video just used screws and mache' but my antler cap was cut slighty crooked by the processor...what can i use to make it even? Sorry for the dumb questions, just want to do it right.
buckslayer
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:18:36 PM »

even up the cut then bondo onto the form then screws through the skull plate

Jesse Carr
Saratoga, NY
(518)695-3858
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 09:29:40 PM »

I use screws and Bondo with Cabosil on my caps.  I NEVER have rules for setting them, however.  I've had deer whose antlers grew down, up, and/or out.  I just measure them and one of the very BEST measurements is by taking the one from the nose to the antler tips.  Still, it's line of sight with the skull.  Let me see if I can find a copy of my homemade sheet.

* Trophy Data Sheet.jpg (100.6 kB, 673x1000 - viewed 3626 times.)

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
buckslayer
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 11:18:03 AM »

thats a real good idea george gonna have to try that

Jesse Carr
Saratoga, NY
(518)695-3858
Scrubby
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »

That works good George provided you have the exact form measurement like a early season white tail, long eye to nose small neck sometimes you can play with the eye to nose going down 1/4 of an inch and make it work the measurement works good but as a general rule two fingers works well 1 1/2 half if you have gorrila hands, the pics above are perfect for this conversation a lot of people set them too high or tilt them too far forward and it causes them problems. when in doubt measure  from the back of the eye to the antler burr it  will take care of any guess work.
buckslayer
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 02:13:47 PM »

the paperwork form thing is a good idea not the order in the middle thing just the paperwork if he has the cape after he gets it tanned just take the neck measurement and then order the right form

Jesse Carr
Saratoga, NY
(518)695-3858
George Roof
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 05:22:50 PM »

Buckslayer, until you've tried that "middle form", don't knock it.  The sculptors know.

buckslayer
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 05:31:04 PM »

i tried it on a spike the eye to nose was 7 and it was way to big so i had to send it back and i asked how to get the measurements so i could get the right size i did do it on a caribou but that was because i only had the antlers and they were average so now i just need to get a cape

Jesse Carr
Saratoga, NY
(518)695-3858
Scrubby
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 07:23:26 PM »

good form Geo but if you use it as is, most suppliers use the C measurement as the below the ears and  the C on your chart is the atlas muscle measurement. It is just like ordering a fish body make sure you look at what the supplier is calling the girth and the the lenght measurement you r looking at and adjust.
George Roof
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »

Scrubby, dammit, you caught me.  You are absolutely correct.  I drew up that form in 1985 and back then, they didn't have all those silly "down the neck" measurements.  ONE DAY, I'm going to sit down and redraw that thing like the current catalogs list them but when I do, you can bet they'll change their way of lettering tham again.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Setting Whitetail antlers « previous next »
Jump to: