Goose Breeding question
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 03:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1571885 Posts in 184438 Topics by 41986 Members
Latest Member: brand
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Goose Breeding question « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Goose Breeding question  (Read 715 times)
Tork
Bronze Member

Save the Tundra - "Kill Whitey"

« on: February 12, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »

This is a non-taxidermy question. This is for the people with some ornithology in their background.
At what age do geese breed ? Is it different between species ? I was under the impression that most don't breed until their 3rd spring. That is what I remember from my college ornithology course, but that was about 8 years ago, and I am not as book smart now as I used to be.  I have been on several other forums and the question always come up, to be more specific, with snow geese. At what age do they first nest. I am going to consult the old college textbook and see what I can find out.
mike baker
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »

It varies for different types. For domestic geese, they normally wont lay until their second year. I think someone told me that egyptian geese wont reproduce until their 3rd year.
Jordanlybeck
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »

I had a trio of toulouse geese that hatched out and reared a brood their first spring as adults I don't know about snow geese but I would imagine it wouldn't be too different.
ELMER GANTRY
Gold Member

**THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 06:59:24 PM »

SNOWS: Anser caerulescens
 http://www.fws.gov/Midwest/desoto/migration.htm

"The young geese reach sexual maturity at two years of age, but the majority of them will not breed until their third year. Sometime between their second and third year, a male and female will form a pair bond. Snow geese have very strong family ties and usually mate for life".
slider
Bronze Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english..

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:33:37 AM »

Most domestic geese will lay their first breeding season. Wild geese vary alot of them it takes 2 to 3 years. Canada geese takes 4 years..You just hav to do the research on individual species.
grouseandwaterfowlpark

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »

In general all geese sexual mature there second spring could breed and produce if giving a chance . most 2 goose will breed if put 5-6 year gander but no guaranties

Best regards Dan Snyder
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Goose Breeding question « previous next »