Repairing Trauma to Bird's Neck - How To w/pics
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 12:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Repairing Trauma to Bird's Neck - How To w/pics « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Repairing Trauma to Bird's Neck - How To w/pics  (Read 17338 times)
Matt Smith
Platinum Member

Email
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »

I get quite a few wholesale birds each year with broken or torn necks.  This entire bird had suffered heavy shot-damage, but had good plummage so I thought I would present a quick tutorial on repairing this type of damage.
The first pic shows the damage once the bird was skinned. Always remember to remove the neck very carefully to prevent further damage. Skin that stays attached in this situation will be to your advanatage.

This 2nd photo shows a piece of necking material carefully slid into the neck and the wounds pulled back together with tweezers. It pays to watch for color changes at this point to match the wound up properly. Tuck the feathers back in with a probe.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:44:06 PM by Fudgy » Logged

On fb>>> Waterfowl Taxidermy Tips, Tricks, Mounts and Pics
Text 817-691-2625.  www.BlueRibbonBirdsDvd.com. Thanks! Matt
Matt Smith
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:20:36 PM »

This next picture shows the first wound sewn back up.I now proceed to sew the second break.

Matt Smith
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »

With the sewing complete I am ready to wheel the bird. It is important to remember here to pull your stiches closed, however do not pull them too tight as it will crimp the skin. Also, it sometimes helps to float the skin in water to assist in sewing, especially if the neck skin is torn all the way through. 

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:41:51 PM by Fudgy » Logged

Matt Smith
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 06:25:08 PM »

I've stopped at this point to show the stiches after wheeling the neck.  Take your time. Notice the fat attached to the stiches, this will be removed with a brush and dawn (see below)

Matt Smith
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »

Now that the skin has been scrubbed clean it is carefully inverted to check the feather patterns on the outside of the damaged area. They should float freely and be free of any blood clots.

Matt Smith
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 06:29:59 PM »

You will want to be careful when washing and squeezing the water out of the skin, so as not to cause your stiches to come loose. Before tumbling and blow drying check for any loose stiches and put a "lock" stich if needed.  The feathers should blow free of any thread and fluff nicely at this point.

Here is the mounted bird, positioned and ready for grooming. Note that the account holder told me he thought the bird would be "unmountable". With a little planning and extra care you should be able to mount birds with this type of damage.  :)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:43:07 PM by Fudgy » Logged

Yogi
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:02:09 PM »

Are you charging extra for the repairs.  If more than 1 reapair do you charge per repair?
SteveP
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:07:36 PM »

Thanks Fudgy. I can see how the neck material would be a great aid in aligning and keeping alignment of the neck skin. Good tip.

"What other people think of me is none of my business."
                                                                 unknown
Curt
Platinum Member

Family Life member of the NTA

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »

Great demo thanks for taking the time.
Matt Smith
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 09:21:12 PM »

Are you charging extra for the repairs.  If more than 1 reapair do you charge per repair?

Ryan,  in wholesale work seems like broken bones and missing primaries, etc are part of the gig....something always needs repair.  Some of it is from customer's rough handling but much of it occurs when deer heads are thrown on top of birds that are at the bottom of the freezer.  In this case, with major damage to a sensitive area I charge a flat repair fee of $25.00 more for the extra hour of work; not enough but that's wholesale for ya.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:09:41 PM by Fudgy » Logged

CChampion
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »

Fudgy, that is a great tutorial.    I am new to taxi and still on the extremely cautious side.  So let me ask, how do you invert like that.  Just push the head through the thorax cavitiy and invert?  I have instructional videos on the way for a week now, I am not sure if they will even show how to do that.  thanks, C.Champion
python12
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 11:15:06 PM »

another great tip..
Thanx Fudgy

The
SNAP, CRACKLE, POP
in the morning,
aint my freaking Rice Krispies!!
thestuffedbird
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:12:55 AM »

Lockedup

I am not sure if the hooded merganser has a large enough neck, but most waterfowl need a relief cut down the nape or under the chin to invert the skull and detach the skull from the neck.  Don't try to pull the head through the inverted neck.  Look at the pics in this tutorial and you will see that he has removed the skull by cutting around the base of the bill and freeing it up that way.  This is the best way to go, and since many use artificial heads for waterfowl this is the best method for removing the skull.  You will see when you watch the videos.

Neil
CChampion
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 01:50:17 AM »

Neil,
  I see what you are talking about now, but I was looking at the radius and Ulna portions of the wings inverted.  I was wondering if it was cut at the joint of the metacarpus and radius/ulna.  I just didn't know that you could do that, but I'm real new to all this.  Thanks for posting about the inverted head, that makes sense not to push it through. C.Champion
Matt Smith
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 08:17:30 AM »

Fudgy, that is a great tutorial.    I am new to taxi and still on the extremely cautious side.  So let me ask, how do you invert like that.  Just push the head through the thorax cavitiy and invert?  I have instructional videos on the way for a week now, I am not sure if they will even show how to do that.  thanks, C.Champion
C. Champion that's a very important question. Now, on a hooded merganser the neck is huge, so it will invert fairly easily, after skinning out and removing the head.  However, on say a teal, you have to very carefully push the head skin down into the neck and then invert the breast skin so you can see what you are doing.  I take a small pair of needlenose pliers and very carefully pull the skin through. Once it comes so far you can get it the rest of the way with tweezers. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:28:12 AM by Fudgy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Repairing Trauma to Bird's Neck - How To w/pics « previous next »
Jump to: