Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 09:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597806 Posts in 188384 Topics by 42674 Members
Latest Member: okaw river
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Whitetail Deer Eye Setting and Eyelid Sculpting « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Whitetail Deer Eye Setting and Eyelid Sculpting  (Read 23956 times)
mntduks-tx
Bronze Member

« on: March 19, 2008, 01:16:11 AM »

i spent time resizing the pics, but i was having computer user issues, so i do apologize for the pic sizes and also please excuse the photography alot of the pics are blurry, but i think you can get the idea of what i am trying to achieve with my claywork for eyes.

the first step is to level the form vertically. pic 1

second step is to level the form horizontally.  i do this by placing a level in front of the eyes lining up the front corner.  pic 2

third step is to place a level horizontal line across the eye orbit.  this is for two reasons.  reason one, it helps line up the eye pupil, and secondly, the line at the back of the orbit is used as an idicator to keep me from dropping my top eyelid too low.  pics 3, 4 and 5.

after my eye is set into the eye orbit, i roll a piece of clay into a blunt point about the size of a pen, and apply it to the front corner of the eye and laying it to the back of the eye, right on the edge of the white scleral band and iris.   i then smooth the clay out onto the form.  pics 6,7 and 8.

i roll out another blunt roll of clay for the upper lid about the size of a pen.  i lay it on the top eyelid by pressing and blending the clay into the front of the eye and following the eye up and then angle it back towards the back of the eye making sure to go below the pencil line.  i then pinch the excess clay off at the back of the eye and  blend the clay to the form into the brow area.  pics 9, 10, 11 and 12

the final steps are to check reference , kenneth bauman had an excellent series in the last breakthrough, and use a brush to sculpt the final shape you want for the expression you are trying to achieve.  pics 13, 14 and 15.

there are so many variances in this business and this is just one of many.  hopefully it will help.  any other questions let me know and i will try to help if i can.

andrew
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 05:38:49 PM by Ken Edwards » Logged
visions of wildlife taxid
Platinum Member

love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:45:27 AM »

i am with 4000 on this one, that is the same way i do it, good post, Russ

Visions of Wildlife Taxidermy Studio
www.visionstaxidermy.net
102 Laray St. Cassville,MO 65625

Proud supporter of DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF,& Whitetails Unlimited
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:48:37 AM »

I nominated it for the soon to be coming "Tutorial Category" mtn.  Thanks for taking the time.  ;)

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Monkey Man
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:41:38 AM »

Nice Tutorial.  Thanks.

Jon
coreyponder
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »

thank you so much for posting that.  this should help out a lot

Corey Ponder
weavercreektaxidermy
Curt
Platinum Member

Family Life member of the NTA

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:37:56 PM »

Good tutorial thank you.
deerstuffer
Bronze Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »

What kind of clay are you using here?
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »

Great job mntduks-tx!!!

What kind of clay are you using here?

Looks like he is using "critter clay"

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
Rick Carter
Forum Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »

Good job. nice and simple.

mntduks-tx
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 06:55:39 PM »

coreyponder... i havent forgotten to send you a pic of tucking and "cutting" in the eyelid,  i have been swamped.

the clay is critter clay, it is dry enough to sculpt with water and a brush without getting too wet and distorted.

thanks for the comments.

rice194
Bronze Member

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 09:56:20 AM »

mntduks-tx which issue of breakthrough are you talking about.

GaryDubya

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »

Just seeing this is worth the price of admission!!Thanks
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »

Maybe I'm in left field on this one.  I noticed  this "level" bit.  I stopped "levelling my forms years ago.  To level a form, you must accept that the sculptor and the manikin manufacturer, had it right. DON'T!  Next, you have to accept that if the backboard is "level" then the antler cap will be.  DON'T! Then "levelling" the eyes. If you've assumed all those other things, why wouldn't the eye sockets be level?  And to install the eyes with a level still requires you to "eyeball" whether they match your "level line".  Why not just trust your eyeballs anyway?  Stand out front of the nose of the manikin.  LOOK AT THE EYES.  Are they looking at you?  Or are they looking where the rotation of them intends?  No level line is going to help you there.  IN MY OPINION, this is a practice we started when we bought into the gimmicks of the foam forms. Our "art form" depends on the eye pleasing qualities so why not use the eye to insure it's right.  (If you have any doubts, mount a Dall sheep or a game farm goat.  Those "level" eyes simply never seem to cut it.)

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
mntduks-tx
Bronze Member

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:22:53 AM »

rice194....  i have that issue of breakthrough at my office.  i will look at it monday and post or send you a pm.

coreyponder
Bronze Member

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »

coreyponder... i havent forgotten to send you a pic of tucking and "cutting" in the eyelid,  i have been swamped.

the clay is critter clay, it is dry enough to sculpt with water and a brush without getting too wet and distorted.

thanks for the comments.

no problem

Corey Ponder
weavercreektaxidermy
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Whitetail Deer Eye Setting and Eyelid Sculpting « previous next »