Building a Wooden Base
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2019, 12:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Building a Wooden Base « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Building a Wooden Base  (Read 14733 times)
born2shoot
Silver Member

Email
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:07:28 PM »

I just wanted to let others know how i make my bases because alot of you seemed intrested...This is just the way i do it there are probly many other ways
step one build your base..this one looks different because it is mounted in a corner and the back part is just flat..first thing learn you angles for cuts ..you have to find out what kind of base you want and shape...
for this one i just had a 90 degree angle at the back(2 45 cuts) and on the front each bend is a 45 degree bend( 2  22.5 cuts) than air nailed together.once you have the outside together cut out plywood for the hole in the base..on this one there are rails to nail the ply wood to

now once this is done silicone the edges around the plywood and up the corners on the inside of the base. Once dried cut out foam to put on the plywood...and hot glue down ...i mounted my bird before putting on the foam but you dont have to...

Now glue chunks of foam  on top of the foam and seal with glue..now you can place some grass or what ever you want on youbase...cut a hole in you foam for you grass you can drill through the wood to be more sturdy. than hot glue them in place
born2shoot
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:12:30 PM »

now i used snow for this which yu just spray with water and sprinkle on make sure to tape your base

now just add more snow on the grass not needed of course if u use mud

and here is the pheasant mixed in  i will post a
final pic later

this is just the way i like to make my bases might not be the right or best way just the way i like any questions just ask
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:16:16 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this Born.  It'll help a lot of folks!  May I ask why you spray painted the joints of the wood black?  Were you disguising the wood filler at the joints?  Are you going to leave it black?  The arcs and fading look like they were done on purpose.  I guess the final pics will show if you're leaving it black, so I'll be patient.  Thank you for sharing.  ;)

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
born2shoot
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »

i did air brush the joints on purpose the guy that taught me to do the bases showed me this and i just stuck with it i like the look it is like a burnt like and i like to fade it out ...it has become like a tribute of sorts to him as well as a signature of mine.. the stuff that i used is prefinished molding so i am limited in what i use on but i love the look..but hopefully it gives just a hint where to start ..it is endless on what you can do...i would say mess around with as much stuff as possible  on bases
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:33:23 AM »

YEAH!! I didn't have to wait!  COOL!  I thought it looked like it was meant to stay.  Nice personalizing touch.  ;)

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
born2shoot
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:56:05 AM »

here are some other bases

Treva
Silver Member

I praise God for the Love of my life Doug

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 12:10:59 AM »

I like the black on them

I can do all things through Christ which strengthenth me. Philippians 4:13
MOUNT-N-STUFF TAXIDERMY
FreeSpirit (Wayne)
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 01:16:18 PM »

the only thing I didn't like is the tail feathers sticking out of the base on the pheasant 

Life\'s to Short to Argue it\'s a Waste of Time and Energy
brushwolf
Platinum Member

let live

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »

what would i use for dirt im doing a chipmunk base

Life's nothing without  great friends to share it with :) 
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Building a Wooden Base « previous next »
Jump to: