Mounting that elk shed set
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 06:58:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Mounting that elk shed set « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mounting that elk shed set  (Read 10565 times)
Jay Parke
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« on: April 01, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »

Well I finally got to that shed set. I hope this helps someone. This is time consuming endeavor and I havent found a way around it, but this is the simplest way I have found.  To set it up I brace the sheds in the position I want, its just a matter of trial and error. Keep in mind the G4s are usually vertical, work to your inside spread (this one is at 44) and make the burls fit your pedestals. I use wood bracing and wire all screwed tight to the bench to hold it in place.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:04:55 AM by idbatman » Logged

Certified Bird NUT
Jay Parke
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:47:13 AM »

This is a cast I made off of a 350 bull and you can see it is a little small for this set but I will make it work on most sets. Its made of Bondo resin mix and lots of fiberglass chop. You can use the commercial cast just fill the with the mix. Try to center it on your burls (this guy was a little larger so I set it up to be wider). I draw some reference marks to help keep the drilling straight and in the beam and I drill it just like I did in the removable antler post. I just hold it in place and get to drilling, just keep the bits as parallel as possible. I leave the first bit in to use as a guide  for the second one.            
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:05:27 AM by idbatman » Logged

Certified Bird NUT
Jay Parke
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:48:42 AM »

I put the pins in to hold it in place as I finish the holes.

Certified Bird NUT
Jay Parke
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »

Now attach the pedestals to the form, set it up just like any other rack( level , centered and not past the back of the form) and bondo it down. I set it up then remove the sheds so it is easier to work. If you get carried away with the Bondo you may have to clean out the holes. I then position the rack with a  pedestal fairly vertical so I can work all sides . On a heavy set like these I wrap a couple of strands of 14 ga wire around the pedestal for added support and I build it up with a resin bondo- fiberglass chop mix. Just do a little at a time and build it out to where the skin should fit the burl. Shave it smooth as it starts to set up.  I like to let the bondo mix set up over night and mount as usual.    
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:06:30 AM by idbatman » Logged

Certified Bird NUT
Jay Parke
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »

IF YOU HAVE A WOBBLE OR NEED TO MOVE AN ANTLER A LITTLE. Simply ream the hole a little to move it where you want it. Then pour  a little hot resin mix in the hole and put the antler back on . Brace it or hold it until the mix starts to set then remove the antler (you may have to clean the hole a little again).  When its hard, see if it worked. You can repeat this as you need. This works for me. I have a lot of heads out with 30 pounds of antler on them and they are still holding up. If you have a way to improve it or a direct question please feel free to email me. Thanks and try to have fun with it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:07:15 AM by idbatman » Logged

Certified Bird NUT
Jay Parke
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:03:20 AM »

this is the 3rd time to mount this bull.

Certified Bird NUT
ed150
Platinum Member

deer city time

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:21:47 AM »

very nice

i wana hunt
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this up id.  I brought it to the Mods attention for the Tutorial Category.  ;)  Thanks again.

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Mounting that elk shed set « previous next »
Jump to: