How to make a dream catcher-Poll too!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 08:37:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: How to make a dream catcher-Poll too! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Print
Poll
Question: I...
will keep this tutorial in mind and maybe make a catcher some day :)   -33 (21.7%)
will keep this tutorial in mind and have every intention of making a catcher some day, but won't ever do it :(   -5 (3.3%)
will look at this thread and be inspired to make a catcher :) :)   -22 (14.5%)
already have made catchers but (maybe) learned a new way because of this thread :) :)   -22 (14.5%)
will never make a catcher >:(   -24 (15.8%)
think Lisa is a super sweet wonderful gal who is really really good at editing option #6  ;D   -46 (30.3%)
Total Voters: 152

Author Topic: How to make a dream catcher-Poll too!  (Read 48852 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« on: April 12, 2008, 06:52:28 PM »

Any internet surfers who have arrived at this tutorial because of the following web site:  http://www.omgili.com/omgili/+Re:+HOW+TO+MAKE+EASY+MONEY+FAST+AND+LEGALLY!!!!!!!!

You should be aware that making a dream catcher is neither "easy" or "fast" and if you use the wrong materials, you could end up in jail!

If you're just a crafter wanting to make a catcher for someone you love, for yourself, or for instance, a child who has nightmares, please continue on...and please, put a picture of the catcher you've made at the end of this thread.  Thank you so much!

How to Make a Dream Catcher
By Lisa Martin, Rifle Pines Taxidermy

Hello.  I have to start out by saying that Im not legally documented as a Native American Artist.  All of my Indian kin left the reservations generations ago.  I just happen to love making Dream Catchers.  There are no Native American Artists in my area so I learned to make my own from a dinky little kit I bought at Wal-mart.  Unless you can document your heritage, you cannot sell your catchers as being made by a Native American/Indian.  If there are native crafters in your area, please dont take away from their business/livelihoods.  Thank you.
   Everywhere I have a photograph to illustrate how to do something, I will put the picture number in red parenthesis (like this) on the actual photograph. If you get confused by the words, just look at the pictures.  They are easier to understand. The first catcher, all pictures pertaining to it are labeled with a black 1 in a white box.  The 2nd & 3rd catchers Ive made for this tutorial are also labeled with a 2 & 3 respectively.  Once you learn the simple techniques, feel free to go wild.  Put whatever you want on your catchers.  Ive made red ones, green, purple, put them on antlers like I saidall sorts of things.  Just be aware that if you put any feathers from a migratory bird on one, you cannot sell that catcher for money.  Some may argue about once its off the bird, its legal to sell.  I prefer to err on the side of caution and give those catchers away to people.  Its a CYA thing and I dont want to leave mine hanging out.  Also, please read this entire post before beginning your first catcher because I give tips throughout the whole thing.  And if you read the whole thing, youll see other 1st catchers made by forum members who have VERY GENEROUSLY shared their work here too.  (It makes me over the MOON happy to see those.  Seriously!  If/when you make your first one, PLEASE come show us how you did!  Let me know if there is anything I can do to make these instructions clearer too!  Thank you!!)
   Also, before we go any further, Id like to share one legend with you.

Legend of the Dream Catcher
   A spider was silently spinning her web above the sleeping space of Nokomis, the grandmother.  Nokomis watched the spider at work, every day, recreating and building her web.  There were the neatly wrapped bodies of the bugs the spider killed and a few stray feathers caught there as well.  One day as Nokomis was watching the spider, her grandson came in.  Nokomis-iya! he shouted, seeing the spider.  He rushed over to the spider, picked up a stick as if to hit it.
   No-keegwa, the old woman whispered, dont hurt her.
   Nokomis, why do you protect the spider? asked the boy.  The grandmother smiled, but did not answer.
   When the boy left, the spider went to the old woman and thanked her for saving its life.  She said For many days you have watched me spin and weave my web.  You have admired my work.  In return for saving my life, I will give you a gift.
   She smiled her special spider smile, and moved away, spinning as she went.
   Soon the moon glistened on a magical silvery web moving gently in the breeze.  See how I spin? she said.  See and learn, for each web will snare your dreams.  Use it so only good dreams will be remembered.  The bad dreams will become hopelessly entangled in the web.  In the morning when the sun comes up and strikes the dew, the bad dreams will burn away.  The good dreams are caught and will stay in the web waiting.  At night, when the dreamer returns, the good dreams will come out and flow down the feathers, to be dreamed again.  This is my gift to you.
   ***********************************************************************************
   These are the supplies you will need:
   Materials:  (1)

A hoop of some sort.  Brass from Wal-Mart, a grape vine, a willow hoop, even the tines of a deer antler, hollowed out antler slicesanything that will make the general shape of a hoop.
   Wrapping material if you need it-leather strapping, buckskin suede, whatever works for you.  Usually, I dont use wrapping when putting a catcher on willow or grape and just a very little bit if putting one on antler.
   Beads-small seed beads, larger more detailed beads, whatever you want.  Personally I dont like the plastic pony beads.  I think they look cheap.  If you like them, use them.  Your choice.
   Feathers-more is better than less.
   Webbing material-Artificial sinew, waxed dental floss, real sinew, thread (if making a tiny catcher)
   Decorative conches-if you like them
   Tools:
   Beading needle-different than regular sewing needlesMUCH smaller & sharper than sewing needles
   Sewing needle
   Small cups or bowls to hold the beads
   Needle nose Pliers
   Scissors
   Super glue & baking soda if you arent good at tying square knots
   A dental or plastic tooth pick-not a wooden one, youll leave splintersa large needle will work also
   A paper clip that pinches closed
   A sharpie pen
   Piece of paper as big as your hoop

Once you have all your materials & tools assembled, and if youre using a brass hoop, put the hoop on the piece of paper.  Trace it out.  Cut the circle out.  Fold the circle in half, then quarters, cut one quarter off of the circle.  Fold that quarter into 8ths then 16ths, opening between each fold.  (2) 

This small template will help you with the spacing of your wrapping.  Where the folds are on the outer arc of the circle, mark it with a sharpie.  Put the circle tool on the inside of your brass hoop and mark the distances on the inside of the hoop.  (As you get better you wont need to make a circle tool, but if youre starting out, it will probably keep you from losing your mind once the wrapping gets close to being done.
   Begin wrapping your hoop with your wrapping material (3) making sure not to let it unwrap as best you can.  Take your paper clip and use it as a 3rd hand to hold the start of your wrapping while you continue with the rest.  (4)

If you are using this kind of wrapping leather, you can do this with it (5) so it wont unravel too quickly and end up rolling across the floor.

If you twist the wrapping leather like this, (6) it will give you some variation in the final wrap.  I like some color flex with mostly smoothness.

This is what the final wrap for this catcher looks like.  (7) If you want it smooth, you just dont twist it as you wrap it around.  Be careful if you are trying to get a totally smooth wrap because the leather wants to twist.  It is easy to get a twist in it without realizing its there until after youre done.  It will be your choice as to whether or not you want to unwrap the hoop, fix it, or leave the unwanted twist in there, and just ignore it. 

Use a square knot to tie off the ends of the wrapping, and also give you a good place to anchor the start of your webbing.  (8) If you arent good at square knots, you can put a small drop of super glue/zap-a-gap on the knot, and then sprinkle a little bit of Baking Soda on the glue.  It will set the glue quicker than you can read this sentence. 

Picture (9) is of the tool I make to keep my webbing material from tangling while I make the web.  You can leave the webbing as one long string if you want.  Just remember that it is much better to make the string VERY long and cut off extra at the end, than it is to leave it too short, and have to mask the knot with something later.  Also, if you leave the string un-looped, it will get hair & stuff in it while you work.  I usually wrap my webbing material loosely around a hardback book, then slide it offor I wrap it around the fleshy part where my thumb meets my hand and down to my elbow, back up, downaround & around depending on how much webbing material I have. This little loop tool is a tremendous time saver if you choose to keep your webbing material looped up.  This is one way to think about it.  Which is easier to use:  A spool of thread that you use what you need off of, or a pile of thread?  You do what works for you though.  ;)

In photographs (10) (11) (12) & (13) I demonstrate my method of looping the webbing.  The direction of the artificial sinew starts with the red, oranges, yellow, greens, blues, then purple and finally back to red.  The arrows also point in the direction the artificial sinew is going.  Ive been told by other crafters that my way of looping is unusual, thats why I took special care to color code the line.   Folks say it looks like a double weave.  I dont know what they mean by that.  It is just one piece of artificial sinew, not two.  This is just the way I have always done them.  I had trouble reading the Wal-Mart instructions 12+ years ago, so I figured my own way.  Im not an instruction reader, Im more of a hands on do it myself & Ill figure it outthank you very much kind of learner.

Photo (14) shows how I wrap my excess string around the dream catcher itself, and then clamp it off, so I can go make dinner, go to the bathroom, go to bed, whatever, until I have time to pick the catcher back up again some time.

I joined two pictures to make (15) showing my beading needles and the two kinds of rock beads I chose for this catcher.

In picture (16) I show how I strung a series of beads on the artificial sinew.  Im going to be doing an unusual kind of beading for this catcher and I need there to be a certain number of beads on the thread at this point.  After putting the beads on, I wrapped my artificial sinew around again, and tied it with my loop tool.  I am going to be putting these beads on in an unusual way, and I have found that putting them all on at once, then rewrapping the artificial sinew is easier than putting the beads on two at a time then dealing with a tangled mess of artificial sinew next to me.  If you like putting the beads on two at a time, thats your choice.  I find that the artificial sinew gets tangled and cat/human hair gets caught in it when I let it lay loose.  But you do what works for you.  In picture (17) I show how I put most of the beads on the artificial sinew through the loop, but I left 2 beads behind.  Those two beads will be locked into that position.  Picture (18) shows how I left one bead behind when I started leaving beads back.  For some reason it looks better when just one is left back at the start of the bead work. My preference again.   The red lines in picture (18) also show where to put the next loopsplit the stones so one ends up on each side.  ;D 

Picture (19) shows how to hold the artificial sinew in your left hand while doing the looping with your right.  Once you get past the point where the beads are, the webbing goes REALLY fast.  It also goes really fast if you only use a few beads.  I just wanted a full circle of beads for this particular catcher.  You dont have to do that.  1, 2, 3 or so looks fine to.

In photo (20) I show how to use a sewing needle to loop the artificial sinew when you get close to finishing the webbing.  Photo (21) shows how large/small I like my center hole to be when Im almost done.  Go down through the center hole, then back up through the smaller holes marked with the red arrowsI only marked 3 holes, but do them all.

As photo (22) shows, slowly pull the artificial sinew making the center hole smaller & smaller.  Do not pull too quicklyallow the loops of the catcher to adjusthelp them with your fingers.  Go down through the center hole and back up through the smaller ones again.  Go around the center of the circle twice.  This gives you something to run your needle back through (pic (23)) so the weave wont unravel on its own over time.  Ive never had one unravel that Im aware of.  Some have gone as far as New Zealand too.  :)  Picture (24) shows the back of the catcher, once the center has been sewn, the artificial sinew run back through, and the end cut off.  If you are worried about the sinew coming undone, dont be afraid to use a drop of glue & the baking soda trick.

Picture (25) shows this catcher, with the wrapping, beading & webbing completed.

Picture (26) shows the start of a new catcher.  I have wrapped the hoop as previously described, I just didnt twist any of the wrapping.  I did a regular square knot to anchor the webbing.  In the picture, Im showing how to do this type of beading.  The artificial sinew does not go around the wrapping, it goes through it instead.  With a dental pick, I made room in the wrapping for a needle to pass through.  I put a bead on the artificial sinew before I put the needle through the wrapping.  Picture (27) shows the needle in the wrapping where the dental pick was.  Put the needle through the back side of the bead, see photo (28).   Then pull it snug like photo (29).  Photo (30) shows this catcher completed except for tying it to the first one, and adding feathers etc.  All beads on this catcher were attached by going in the front of the bead, through the wrapping, then back out through the back of the bead.

The third catcher begins in picture (31).  Twist the wrapping before going around the hoop.  I dont like this as much as the semi-smooth or smooth wrappings, but I did it here to show yall how it looks.  Photo (32) shows the final look of the wrap.

Picture (33) (34) and (35) show the lengths you can choose to make your loops.  I think (33) & (34) arent right IMHO.

Picture (36) shows correct spacing for the start of the catcher, v.s. the last of the loops on the outside of the wrapping.  If you make the last & first outside loops too far apart or too close together, the web will look weird as you work it towards the center.  In my opinion, this spacing is correct.  If you cant make it this close, or if you have to make it farther away, loosen your previous loops, move them forward or back as you see fit, retighten them, and try again. 

In picture (37) I have finished the weaving, sewn the center hole, and snipped the thread.  The center hole is too small though.  In picture (38) I put the dental pick through the center hole and twist it around, enlarging the hole.  Picture (39) shows how the hole has opened up.  39 also shows that this weave is different than the other two.  As I was weaving, I purposefully skipped 4 spots, went around, & skipped 4 more to get the shape that looks like a bee hive.  The red line shows where I would have picked up a loop instead of skipping it, if I were doing a regular weave.  The blue line shows the looping pattern I did to achieve the bee hive shape.

To sew the beads on this catcher, like Im doing in picture (40) tie a square knot at any joint where the web meetsI left the bee hive shape for myself, so Im going to use it.  Tie some artificial sinew to the webbing anywhere you want to fill in with beads.  I chose the spot marked with the purple square.  Load the beads on the artificial sinew.  Put enough beads on the artificial sinew so you cant see any of the artificial sinew under the beads.  Go to a point in the web that you want to join.  In this case, Im going to the pink dot.  I looped the artificial sinew over the blue sinew line at the pink dot and went back through the seed beads I had already loaded.  That explination sounds really confusing.  See the picture (41) for clarity.    I went back to the purple square, looped around the sinew there, and went back up through the beads coming out at the pink dot again.

Load more beads on the sinew/needle, go to another anchor point, I chose the green circle in picture (42).  I looped around the sinew there, and went back down the seed beads to the pink dot.  I looped around the sinew in the area of the pink dot, tying a knot.  Load more beads and head for the opposite anchor point, in this case, the orange circle in pic (43).  Loop around that point, and go back down the beads to the pink dot.  Tie a knot at the pink dot.  Go through the knot to the show side of the catcher.  Put a bead there, then put a seed bead on the sinew too.  Go back through the first bead, leaving the seed bead to anchor the larger bead in place as seen in pic 43 also.

Photo (44) shows the back side of the Y pattern.

If youre making a simple one hoop catcher, you are almost done.  If youre attaching one catcher or more, to another, look at the catchers and determine where theyd look good together.  Loop sinew around the points where they touch.  Tie square knots in the back.  Make the joints prettier like shown in picture (45). 

Picture (46) shows all 3 catchers joined.

If you find yourself with a foot or so of artificial sinew leftbut A LOT of webbing left to do, tie a knot with the short end and a fresh piece of artificial sinew.  Youll need to use the Super Glue/baking soda method to make 100% sure that knot does not slip.  If it slips, your whole web will come undone.  ThatisnotfunIamtellingyou.  Work the webbing down to where the knot is, slide a bead or two oncontinue with the webbing.  The fresh piece of sinew will be cleaner that the stuff youve been working with.  The knot will also be noticeable.  Thats why you put the bead onslide it/them over the knot, then snip the long tails of sinew hanging out.  It will just look better if you have a piece of webbing material that is PLENTY long enough, so you wont have to worry about patching a new piece in. 

This is just one of the ways I add thongs to hang the feathers from.  Loop a section of thong over the hoop.  Tie it at the base with a square knot.  Picture (47)

A photo of all the thongs tied to the catchers.  (48)  Make sure they fall in a way that looks pretty to you.

Poke a hole through the quill part of the feather with your needle & thread.  If youre using smaller feathers, you can just tie them on.  For larger feathers, I sew them on by having the thread go through the actual feather.  Square knot. (49)

I tied rocks/beads on to the points where I sewed the thongs together & sewed the feathers on to make them pretty.  If you would like, you can use conches.  You know the silver circles that go on horse saddles or leather jackets?  Those things.  I have a few of those that Ive done like that.  Ill put pictures of them somewhere in this thread later.
Photos 50, 51 & 52 show that balance is important.  The dream catcher has a natural point where it wants to hang all on its own.  If you whack a nail in the wall, and just hang it on there by the hoop alone, and fiddle with it until it looks right to you, itll become obvious where its balance point is.  Just loop a thong of leather around in whatever way is pleasing to you to act as an anchor.  You can make it without a hanger too if you want.  Your choice.

And photo 53 shows the finished catcher, hanging on Wolfwomans wall in Alaska.  ;) 

Ive been intrigued by the ways folks have done theirs.  I am used to my waysits neat to see this craft through the eyes of someone who doesnt have much experience with them.  I am LOVING it.  ;)  Thank you all for giving me the opportunity to share this craft with you.  Have fun.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:18:56 PM by Lisa M » Logged

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Beaumont taxidermy
Platinum Member

Ramadi Iraq 2005

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:10:54 PM »

my brain was full too early in this one....  great detail though...   

When you finally figure out that you do not need to figure it all out, you are finally getting your $hit together.....

Jimmy Buffett
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 07:25:32 PM »

That is a lovely RENDITION of what a Dream Catcher might look like, Lisa, however, the real dream catchers had to be made of items given up by Mother Earth.  Today's Dream Catchers are due to the demands of the White man rather than the originals from and for The People.  The willow hoop was to  symbolize the circle of life and everything inside that circle was supposed to represent the bounty the Great Spirit had provided The People.  Seldom was there any symmetry in them as that would not have been natural and each piece was delicately and carefully selected and place within the circle based on the individuals belief.  Basically, each one of them was a sketch of what the maker viewed as his or her life.  Sort of like your childs drawings held on a refrigerator by magnets.

I apologize for hijacking the thread, but as happens so often in today's world, history is rewritten because it sounds better.  Romanticizing the truth is nice, but one should never forget the truth while doing it.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Wolfwoman
Platinum Member

$75 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:33:47 PM »

AWESOME! Can I have it???

Wolfie :D

Your fur or mine?
Trapper Hat or Mitts $75 from your fur!

13 years experience, all fur & leather items HAND sewn, no machine used.
Nina
Platinum Member

Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »

Great post, that's some tedious work but the results are beautiful.

Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 11:15:22 PM »

Any internet surfers who have arrived at this tutorial because of the following web site:  http://www.omgili.com/omgili/+Re:+HOW+TO+MAKE+EASY+MONEY+FAST+AND+LEGALLY!!!!!!!!

You should be aware that making a dream catcher is neither "easy" or "fast" and if you use the wrong materials, you could end up in jail!

If you're just a crafter wanting to make a catcher for someone you love, for yourself, or for instance, a child who has nightmares, please continue on...and please, put a picture of the catcher you've made at the end of this thread.  Thank you so much!

George, I too realize the importance of the heritage that goes with almost any art form.  That's why I included the legend.  I've heard many legends through the years, but the one I included is my favorite version.  I was hesitant to even do a tutorial because I really don't want to take away from any actual Native American crafters.  I don't know how many registered Indian Crafters there are, but there aren't any near me.  :( at that because I would just about whiz down my leg if I could be friends with them...learn their culture...enrich my own life with knowledge of their history. 

I went ahead with the tutorial because I really enjoy making them.  I figured other folks might like to try their hand at it too.  Just don't advertise yourself as being Native American unless you've got the documentation to back it up.  I've done the willow hoops and loved making them too.  I think most of mine have moved past the actual legend aspect and are now works of art.  I'm cool with that and if someone prefers the more organic looking ones, that's cool too.  ;)

Yes Wolfie...you can have it.  <whispers to the forum> I made this for Bonnie...trade for something...um...I forget what though...LOL oh man!  I've done it again!  Why was it I made this for you Bonnie?  LOL  Dang it.   :-\  :D  I'm shaking my head at my CRS.  lol!

Yes they do take time Nina.  A very small one inside a 1 inch hoop can take as little as 1/2 of one hour.  One I'm working on now is on a hoop that's approximately 2 feet wide.  I'm doing some pretty intricate seed bead work on the feathers for it.  The hoop & webbing took about 3 days working about 4-5 hours a day.  After a while though, it becomes routine...like sewing a cape...you just know how to do it, and can practically do it in your sleep. 

I love them.  I've got...um...just looking around my living room...7 within my sight line.  There's about 40 in various places in our home.  I did a rendezvous about 10 years ago.  Made enough money to pay for my booth, fees, food & fun while we were there, and all my supplies for a whole year.  But it killed me to just sell them...they're almost like children...I remember each one...what I was thinking while making them...that kind of thing.  The only one I felt really good about selling was one that the customer told me was heading to New Zealand for his sister.  She had cancer and was having a hell of a time sleeping.  It was a hoop on an antler and it had pheasant feathers with silver beads. 

Anyway, thank you all for looking.  ;)  If anyone makes a catcher, please let me know how it goes, if there's anything I can do to help, and post pictures too!  I'd love to see!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:19:50 PM by Lisa M » Logged

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:17:06 PM »

Lisa, it's a beautiful piece of art regardless of the name one puts on it.  Thanks for the tutorial.  Would make one helluva macrame project (how OLD is THAT?)  LOL

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
-Rebecca-
Platinum Member

A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »

Thanks so much for such a fantastic tutorial!  The attention to detail makes all the difference.  I'll be trying my hand at this ASAP and I'll let you know how it goes :)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 12:39:02 AM »

I'll be trying my hand at this ASAP and I'll let you know how it goes :)
YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  That's what I was hoping for...someone to try it!  YEAHHHHHHHHHH You just made my Saturday night Critter!  LOL!!!  Funny that I'm 35 and someone saying they'll try something makes my Saturday night but it is ALL good!  ;)  If you want help let me know & I can call ya.  PM'ing my #.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:20:14 PM by Lisa M » Logged

Jared Adams
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »

OMG!!! you can't charge enough for that! That looks time consuming, but what a beautiful job you did ;D
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »

Thank you very much J.  I love making them.  And yes if I'm making one on commission, they're a pretty penny.  If they're just for myself, I don't keep track of time.  ;)  OMG IVAN JUST BOUGHT ME A 3000 PSI POWER WASHER!!! I LOVEEEEEEEE THAT MAN!!!!!!!!! 

Y'all have a great night!  I'm gonna go play with my new tool!  Sweet dreams when you get to them!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:20:39 PM by Lisa M » Logged

WeaponX
Gold Member

I'm an old dude

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 11:40:28 PM »

Lisa, good post, I used to make and sell dream catchers, but it hurts my fingers too much to do it any more, the last one was for my Grandson, made with a willow branch, sinew and a ptarmigan feather I brought back from Canada.
Funny thing about George's post, when I was selling them, I would get invited to Pow Wows every year and my biggest buyers were Native Americans, and they wanted the wildest colors I could come up with, and not anything like a so called traditional dream catcher is supposed to look like.

If I\\\\\\\'m not Hunting, fishing or Golfing, I\\\\\\\'m Sleeping !!!
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »

Thank you weapon.  ;)  Interesting to me that the actual Native Americans wanted to buy yours instead of making their own.  Maybe their tribe was one that didn't make catchers?  I don't know.  :)  I like the simple ones a lot.  It's fun working with the natural variations in willow.  The bumps and bark.  I also like grape vines for the same reason...and I have grape vines in my back yard.  Virginia Creeper works good too...and I've got plenty of that.  I saw one years & years ago when I was a little bitty kid...it was suspended from the ceiling in a store or restaraunt somewhere...the pamplet below it said it was an 8 FOOT circle.  They had taxi'ed mice & small birds in the webbing.  It was just awesome.  Massive, but awesome.  Funny what we remember.  Anyway, thanks.  ;)  I love making them & I'm sorry your fingers hurt sunshine.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:21:10 PM by Lisa M » Logged

Bonnie ( Allistair )
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 09:46:08 AM »

Woaah!!  Nice!!!  I've always wonderred how people did those... that's incredible!!!! Thank you!! :)

[img width= height=]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/dearevolution/mewhalelong.jpg[/img]
Whale for LS, anyone?  http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,131557.0.html
Leslie J.
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 09:46:16 AM »

Thanks SO much for this tutorial Lisa!  I love the look of the ones you did...just beautiful!  Now I've got to try my hand at one :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: How to make a dream catcher-Poll too! « previous next »
Jump to: