Mini-flesher for beginners
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 02:49:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Mini-flesher for beginners « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Mini-flesher for beginners  (Read 36358 times)
Todd Adams
Gold Member

Email
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

I just wanted to give some of you beginners some ideas of how to use the mini-flesher. After it comes out of the tan I take the moisture out of the cape with a towel. Then I take it to a fleshing beam. A couple of things first. You will need to have a air compressor able to take on the demands of the mini-flesher, at least a 5hp. Its noisy, takes some time, and it throws flesh everywhere! Once you get by all that it usually goes pretty smoothly. Start by adjusting the guard so you can barely even see the teeth of the blade. If it cuts to deep adjust as necessary and if it doesn't cut enough adjust again. The 1st pic is a picture of how my blade is adjusted.
Todd Adams
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »

Here is a pic of the cape before I got started.
Todd Adams
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 08:55:49 PM »

Here is a pic of me getting started on fleshing. just make sure you take your time and keep the cape tight to avoid any folds, folds equals cuts :'( Only try a take a 6"x6" sections at a time to reduce cuts.
Todd Adams
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 08:58:09 PM »

You can see in this pic how thin you can get the cape, it feels like a dish towel ;)
Todd Adams
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 09:01:25 PM »

Going around the ears and my "7" cut incision. When you thin down your incision just make sure that the blade is spinning away from the hair. You dont want to pull the hair into the wheel.
Todd Adams
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:03:17 PM »

You can see in these pics of how close I can get around the eyes and lips to reduce the amount of time on the Skife. Make sure when you get around the facial areas to reduce the PSI on the compressor so you dont go crazy and take off too much.
Todd Adams
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 09:09:36 PM »

And lastly you can see the final product of the completed cape and how much material you can get off. If I can answer any questions just ask. Good luck and take your time.
Alan B.
Platinum Member

Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:33:03 PM »

simply awesome.The first thing i tried with my mini flesher was a opposum.Big mistake.Tissue paper!
brushwolf
Platinum Member

let live

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:28:59 PM »

you want tissue paper alan try a snow shoe hare

Life's nothing without  great friends to share it with :) 
brushwolf
Platinum Member

let live

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »

just makin sure this is a tanned hide . correct .. and where can i get a mini flesher like urs

Jared Adams
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 11:13:11 PM »

Brushwolf, To answer your question on my brothers behalf, yes it's a tanned cape(Krowtann.) Keep your eye on the for sale forum or check on sites like Ebay. Also you might try posting under WANTED to see if there are any Mini- fleshers some one is willing to part with.. It took Todd some time and alot of trial and error, but as you can see they do work.. Great tutorial Todd ;D
brushwolf
Platinum Member

let live

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 07:48:55 AM »

ok but wat would be an estimated cosst

shaneb
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 08:22:55 AM »

About 100 used, theyre on here all the time. Youre gonna need a pretty serious air compressor though, they suck alot of air and fast, that will probably be 350. So If you dont have an air compressor Id reccomend getting a good flesher, if you already have a compressor this is a cheap alternative for someone looking to do their own tanning and fleshing.
Todd Adams
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 06:04:43 PM »

Yeah Shane and Jared are right. I actually bought my Mini-Flesher on here about 5 years ago. My compressor just [email protected] the bed, so I am looking for a bench Flesher now.
rossco
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »

There is an electric version of this same unit that works great. It attaches to the fordom tool. I have one and like it. It has a foot control for the power so it is a little bit easier to control. It is also a lot quieter! The unit also does not get extremely cold like it does in the air model. Overall it is cheaper due to the cost of a good compressor. Who wants to hear one of them run anyway?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Mini-flesher for beginners « previous next »
Jump to: