Bondo ears on the B&C 12 point.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2019, 08:02:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Bondo ears on the B&C 12 point. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bondo ears on the B&C 12 point.  (Read 15347 times)
eddieb
Gold Member

Email
« on: May 19, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »

I had several comments about the ears on the 12 point and having read and appreciated 4txdrm's post I thought I would share a brief post on how I did the ears...

I hope this helps some of you that might want to try the Bondo method.
However,...If I were still doing mounts for competition I would use earliners.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 06:33:31 AM »

good post! i like the "tool" you used to hold the ear open. i'll try that on my next deer.
SICK OF FIGHTING WITH THEM, AND GETTING BONDO ALL OVER THE CAPE, AND ME.
thanks for the idea.

Everyone has an opinion........
Nina
Platinum Member

Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:47:57 AM »

Great post. I've nominated it for the tutorial section.

BowHunterXT
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »

You have probably answered this before but here goes, what is your mixture to get a more flowable consistency on your bondo?

Vacation with the Boys...Beats work any day!!!
BowHunterXT
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:23:03 AM »

Also, I like your opening tool, I'll have to get one..LOL

Vacation with the Boys...Beats work any day!!!
CHT
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:32:39 AM »

You have probably answered this before but here goes, what is your mixture to get a more flowable consistency on your bondo?
Fiberglass resin will do the trick

The only thing that stands between a person and what they want in life are the will to try, and the faith to believe it is possible.       RICH DEVOS
Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:02:44 AM »

Eddie, the toughest part of doing this method with deer and similar ears, is the edge rolling back under, carrying the long hairs with it.  It often feels like the one side of the ear skin has shrunk. Any suggestions for those who experience this?
eddieb
Gold Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »

"Eddie, the toughest part of doing this method with deer and similar ears, is the edge rolling back under, carrying the long hairs with it.  It often feels like the one side of the ear skin has shrunk. Any suggestions for those who experience this?"
 Bill, I suppose the answer is to compensate. To try to anticipate that happening and allowing for the shrinkage. The same way we push the skin towards the eye when it is first placed on the form or making the ear butts just a little larger than what you want the finished size to be. I have taken a modeling tool and pushed the skin away from the Bondo in that area and reshaped/re-adhered it with hide paste.That is one of the reasons I mentioned using earliners on competition mounts! Some judges, as I recall, have a bad habit of "pinching" around in that area! Ha! I suppose I still use the Bondo method because it is the way I have done it most of the time and it seems easier to me. I have really liked the results I have gotten from using earliners but the process is quite a bit slower for me. As you may have heard...It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
coyt74
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »

I like the opening tool but I use the ziplock bag trick, just cut the corner off of a ziplock bag and push it down in the ear. Fold the rest of the bag over and open it wide. Mix your bondo and scoop in the bag, seal the bag and squeeze it out of the hole pulling the bag slowly out the ear. I just find it is the best way to not get bondo every where but you cant argue with the results on the 12 point. Great post.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Bondo ears on the B&C 12 point. « previous next »
Jump to: