Tutorial: How to Create Your Own Avatar
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 10:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  Forum Operations  |  Topic: Tutorial: How to Create Your Own Avatar « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: How to Create Your Own Avatar  (Read 47508 times)
Ken Edwards
Taxidermy.Net Forum
Administrator

Redfish near Venice, Louisiana

WWW Email
« on: September 08, 2006, 07:37:36 PM »

It seems that most taxidermists didn't know what the word "avatar" meant a month ago, and now everyone is clamoring to get one. I have offered some instructions to people who asked for my help by email and private messaging. It seems that a small tutorial would be helpful, especially after seeing some of the problems associated with converting a photo of yourself to an avatar. But first things first.

What the heck is an avatar?
An avatar is the little picture below your name on any post that you make. It also greets you at the top of the page when you log in to the Forums. It can be almost anything: a graphic, a photo, a logo, a design, a cartoon, or even an animation. You can change your avatar to something new at any time. When you change to a new avatar, all instances of the old avatar dissapear, and the new one replaces them in every post you have made in the past.

Where can I get an avatar?
You basically have three choices. You can use one of the taxidermy avatars we have pre-loaded into the system, you can search for a pre-existing avatar on the Internet, or you can create your own avatar from a personal photo.

To use one of The Taxidermy Net's pre-loaded avatars, first login to the Forum and then click on the "PROFILE" button.
Click on "Forum Profile Information" under "Modify Profile".
Click on the top button: "Personalized Picture:" and choose a category from the list. Then you can click on the avatars in that category to preview them. Once you find an avatar you want to use, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on the "Change Profile" button.
Your new avatar is now assigned to your profile throughout the Taxidermy Net Forum.

To find a pre-existing avatar on the Internet, the possibilities are endless. Go to a search engine like www.google.com and type in a subject plus the word "avatar". Then click on "Image Search". For example, type "wolf avatar" in the image search box, and you will get close to 5,000 matches to look at. If you choose to use an avatar you found on the Internet, make sure that it is not copyrighted and you have permission to use it. If you right-click on the image, you may be able to save it on your computer. If the image is larger that 144 pixels in any dimension, you will have to change the image size as outlined below before you can use it.

If you want to create your avatar from a personal photo, follow the steps below:

How to make an avatar from your photo
An avatar needs to be SMALL. Ideally, it should be from 72 pixels up to 120 pixels in either dimension. Here at the Taxidermy Net Forum, We will accept avatars up to 144 pixels square, but at this size some browsers only display a partial image with scroll bars underneath.

You will need a photo-editing program to perform the following steps. If you purchased a digital camera or a scanner in the last few years, it probably came with a photo-editing program that you can use on your computer. If you don't have a photo-editing program, you can start a free account with www.photobucket.com to upload and edit your pictures.

You can also resize a photo using the existing "Paint" program on your computer. Follow this link for instructions on how to do this:  Tutorial: How to Reduce a Photo for the Web

Here is the photo we will start with:

As you can see, this is a pretty standard photo. I see a lot of people using photos like this, which are too large to be uploaded to the Taxidermy Net Forum, so they leave them on a different server (like photobucket.com) and specify the URL of the image to be their avatar.

But something funny happens when they use a non-square image hosted elsewhere. The Taxidermy Net Forum will display the avatar at a maximum of 144 pixels wide by 144 pixels high. So if the image is horizontal (landscape mode), as this one is, the avatar will come out squashed side-to-side, making the subject skinny (hmm, may not be a bad idea on some folks).

Conversely, if the image is vertical (portrait mode), the image will come out stretched side-to-side.

The solution, if you MUST host a larger image on another server, and it is OVER 144 pixels in any dimension, you should crop the image to a perfect square. This will allow the correct aspect ratio to pe preserved.

The first thing that everyone should do with any avatar image is to CROP it TIGHTLY. Be ruthless! Get rid of all unnecessary background above, below, and beside the subject. Remember, the avatar is only an inch or so wide, not much bigger than a postage stamp. You don't want to waste a lot of pixels on sky and grass. Here is the photo after cropping out the non essential elements:

If you have the ability to adjust contrast, brightness and color, try to improve the image quality:

Next, change the image size. For a small avatar, go about 72 pixels in the longest dimension. For a medium one, 100-110 pixels, and for a large one, go 120 up to 144. But remember that at 144 pixels, many people viewing the Forum will only see a partial picture with a scroll bar underneath. When changing the image size, make sure that you check the box to preserve the aspect ratio; otherwise you might squash or stretch the photo. I decided to make my avatar at 100 pixels square:

A final step, if your software allows it, is to sharpen the photo once it has been reduced to the final size. In most photo-editing programs, this function is called "Unsharp Mask", or it might be called "Sharpen". If you can set the parameters, go with 70% to 90% amount, 0.70 to 0.90 pixels radius, and 7 to 9 threshhold. If you can't set the parameters, just go with the default settings. If the sharpening function doesn't improve your photo, or makes it look worse, just UNDO and forget it.

The last thing to do is to save your cropped, reduced, and sharpened avatar image. Make sure that you use the SAVE AS... command, so you will not destroy your original high-resolution photograph. Your avatar should be saved as a .jpg file with at medium quality which is 40 to 50 (or 4 to 5 on some programs). Do not save it as high quality, as this file will be up to 10 times larger without any noticeable benefit.

Once you have saved your avatar on your computer, you can upload it to the Taxidermy Net Forum.

Login to the Forum, click on the PROFILE button.
Click on "Forum Profile Information" under "Modify Profile"
Choose "I will upload my own picture:"
Click on the "Choose File" button.
Navigate to your the directory where the file you just saved is located and select it.
Click the "Change Profile" button at the bottom.

Your new avatar is now on the Forum for all to see! Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:00:45 PM by Ken Edwards » Logged

fesekula
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:13:45 PM »

Ken, Thank you for explaining on how to upload a avatar. I know you spent a lot of time on writting that up. My problem is when I use one of my other PC's the avatar will not show up. When I use the computer I signed up on the avatar works great. Do you have any ideas.

"I Hunt because the voices in my head tell me to"
Glen Conley
Platinum Member

KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 08:58:54 AM »

Ken, thanks a ton for the parameter settings!  Most useful.  You would think that a guy that is that handy with photo programs would have "ahem" caught a much BIGGER redfish.

Ken Edwards
Taxidermy.Net Forum
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »

My problem is when I use one of my other PC's the avatar will not show up. When I use the computer I signed up on the avatar works great. Do you have any ideas.

Frank, you may need to check your preferences. Once you are logged in, click on the "PROFILE" button. Under "Modify Profile" choose "Look and Layout Preferences". Make sure "Don't show other users' avatars" is unchecked.

PA
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 01:57:46 PM »

Dear Mike Bunker, supreme leader of the Avatar Changing Society,

I have spent way too much time trying to shrink down a graphic to fit within the avatar realm, and wondered exactly how many KB your average picture is. (Mr. Edwards deals with pixels and I have no idea how to measure them on this antique computer). I tried fitting in a picture as a jpeg and tiff with KB of 34KB, 26KB, 18KB, 9KB, and 6KB, and it keeps saying the picture is TOO big, or not an avatar.

Thanks,

A wannabe member of the Avatar Society
luke

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 02:47:20 PM »

what about a moving avatar... many avatars now do a certain thing that make it special for ex: a cartoon pic. of a kid then all of a sudden it starts walking or running. i usually use windows movie maker and takes several shots so it can run smother, the more pictures the better the resolution of that certain image you want it to move, but i've still in the process of turning it into an avatar i've taken 197 shots of a cartoon destroying an enemy but i want shots of the hero destroying that enemy not any other parts of the movie. so i have my 197 shots of it how do i creat that into an avatar
Ken Edwards
Taxidermy.Net Forum
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »

what about a moving avatar... many avatars now do a certain thing that make it special

In order to create a moving avatar, your drawings must be converted to an animated gif file. There are several programs you can use to accomplish this. You can search for "animated gif program" on google or go here http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/graphics/animated_gifs_programs.php3 to find a program you can use.

I use a free program for the Mac called GifBuilder to create animated gifs like the ones above.

HeathSewell
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »

So again a newbe in the avatar world. I am trying to post a picture. I have gone to photobucket, shrank my photo and saved it as a .jpg and no matter what way I try it tells me it is not an avatar or it's too big. ARGH!!!! I read one reply saying that you have to do something to the resolution. I'm about to throw something at the computer so please help.....
Moose5222

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 08:11:29 PM »

New signature and Avatar...Test.
Dangitboy
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 12:05:19 PM »

CHT
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 05:03:51 PM »

test

The only thing that stands between a person and what they want in life are the will to try, and the faith to believe it is possible.       RICH DEVOS
CHT
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 05:05:49 PM »

test
testing

The only thing that stands between a person and what they want in life are the will to try, and the faith to believe it is possible.       RICH DEVOS
Pauline
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »

You can also go here to create an avatar and shrink your pic..

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
Grafton
Bronze Member

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 11:51:30 PM »

test
mgrogers
Bronze Member

A bad day huntin is better than a good day at work

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 10:28:56 PM »

thanks a million.  I was wondering why it wouldn't take my photo

Stuff It Taxidermy
"Booking the hunt of your life, and preserving your trophy for the future!"
*Africa*Austrialia*New Zealand*North America*Russia*South America*
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  Forum Operations  |  Topic: Tutorial: How to Create Your Own Avatar « previous next »
Jump to: