commercial mannikins thigh modifications
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 04:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: commercial mannikins thigh modifications « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: commercial mannikins thigh modifications  (Read 9595 times)
RDA
Platinum Member

Email
« on: June 01, 2008, 06:48:44 PM »

These shots show the area of thigh i remove from the mannikin  while keeping the width across the back the same.

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GASASS MALINGERERS

In HONOR of Mr SIMON T. BLACKSHAW, ARTIST SUPREME!  1957-2011
RDA
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »

thes pics show the wire  as a total replacement for the bone  (down to the ankle)  which we usually think of as the knee....  The top section of thigh is still there to give the proper bulk,  but the leg has now become free to travel and pose...

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

RDA
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 06:59:15 PM »

and,  the wrapping of the leg to finish things off.  No bones in the way  no tying togeter with wire or twine-  just freedom of movement...   To be honest,  I rarely even wrap legs  unless the pose will be showing alot from the ankle up.  Otherwise,  i simply pose the wire like i want it,  and add a small bit of fiber fill under the shin just before sewing up...I guess you could say its a hybrid between the old european stuffing technique  and the modern mannikin...  I like to call it  "sloppadermy"!! :D

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

Eric R
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 07:37:58 PM »

Thank you sir,
Peggy Obear
Silver Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 07:58:49 PM »

Boy I feel a hundred percent better about my hands,, not old age coming around the corner just better part of a life time doing taxidermy!!!  LOL
Thank you for info even though I did not ask for it,  after alll these years in the bus I am trying to teach myself birds, again and I am afraid that thing about old dogs is true,,,, I would swear I was smarter back in the day!!LMAO
RDA
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »

Sir was my Dad,  Im Ron  and your welcome ;) :D  hope this sheds a little light   there's  lots of options in bird taxidermy!!!   and Peggy,,,, what can I say :D  my hands could be models for cadavers ;D ;D

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

SteveP
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 11:01:46 PM »

Thanks Ron! I appreciate the time and effort that went into this pictoral, especially on a Sunday!

I've tried the "sloppadermy" with nervous success, but with all the leg bones. I just didn't feel right about sewing it up without knowing that the batting was going to stay where I put it while positioning the legs. I don't know where it was going to go, but I was still paranoid. :-[
Steve

"What other people think of me is none of my business."
                                                                 unknown
Leaf-art
Platinum Member

The Roadkill Queen

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »

I just didn't feel right about sewing it up without knowing that the batting was going to stay where I put it while positioning the legs. I don't know where it was going to go, but I was still paranoid. :-[
Steve

LOL I do the same thing, Steve. I just have to tie down all that fluff. It might move in the night!!!!!

Experience is everything ... if I could only remember
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: commercial mannikins thigh modifications « previous next »
Jump to: