How to build an antler lamp
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 02:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1794012 Posts in 224167 Topics by 49577 Members
Latest Member: SaraJean
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: How to build an antler lamp « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How to build an antler lamp  (Read 41206 times)
Uncle Harley
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:53:52 AM »

Ok here it goes, I have had alot of requests for putting together a tutorial for making antler lamps so here it goes.  These are the lamps I made for the OT acution.

First arange the antlers in a way that is pleasing to the eye.  ( if making a matched set, it works best when using a right and left of a couple of "pairs"  for each lamp.

Once aranged the way you like   use hot melt glue  and glue the heck out of the contact points.  Use as much glue as you need so they WONT move on you!  This is a very important step that I learned through experience that will help you later in the building process.

Once the glue cools,  drill pilot holes for drywall screws   at all the contact points  big enough to screw together, go completly through the first antler ans almost through the conecting antler.

Once you have your pilot holes drilled  mark all the holes where the screw will enter with a sharpie, and also mark where you want your wire to exit at the bottom of the upright antler.

Now pull apart all of your horns and clean the hot glue off of them by peeling and scraping with a knife, and then get a big drill bit   in this case I used a 3/8 x 12" bit found at sears or almost any hardware store.

It's now time to drill!    Start by drilling half way through the antler's that are marked with sharpie to accept screw heads.

Now it't time to plan your route!  If I can I will drill from both sides and meet in the middle without blowing any holes.

Once you get to this point you know you are as far as you can go so flip the antler over and drill through the base and try to meet your first hole.

In this particular case I met the holes, but they didn't align up good enough to get the wire through.   So I went back to the first hole and continued drilling untill I blew out the side.

when this happens  drill back into the hole you just blew out of in the direction you are going to run your wireing to connect the 2 holes.

Now it is time to run your wireing.     If you blow out the side it's easy to run,   but if you didn't and you are having trouble getting the wireing to go through  blow twine through the hole with an air compressor and tie off to your wireing and pull on the string while pushing your wire through, but in this case you can see it was easy to wire and I didn't need to do that.

Now all that is left to do is re-assemble the lamp and since we drilled pilot holes while it was temporarily assembled with glue everything should line up perfect.

I use apoxi sculpt to hold the threaded brass tube in for the lamp kit and fill all the holes.   Once it's set you can paint to cover your repairs and then wire your light socket per instructions included with your lamp kit.   IMPRORTANT:  MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT WIRE ATTACHED TO THE CORRECT COLOR SCREW IN THE LIGHT SOCKET!!.   

And we are finished!

If you want to take it one step further and make a cool looking shade like I did with these lamps,  take some window decals for your truck and place them on the inside of the lamp, but   REMEMBER:  It will be a reverse image of what it's suppose to be because they are being stuck on the inside of the lamp and not the outside of a truck window!!!   If it wont look right, take your sticker to a custom decal shop and have them make a mirror image of what you have!   

Good luck and let me know how this works for ya!!!

Also if you can't figure out how to paint it, I do it the same way I show in my main beam repair tutorial.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,80109.0.htmll

Check out my newest reflective eyes!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iHPa8lLLSo
Scott Olson
Platinum Member

Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:57:08 AM »

Very cool harley!!!!! Thanks for that. Been wanting to do it for a while. Scott

Redwolf
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:00:58 AM »

Awesome Harley. I'm glad you did this tutorial for us.
Thank you.

Everyone has an opinion........
cypresslake
Platinum Member

Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »

Thanks Harley I just got 5 sets of 8pts givin to me guess I need to get to work
taxidermywife
Silver Member

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:13:08 AM »

That is cool. Thanks

Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »

HARLEY!  THANK YOU!  It's so much easier to see it mentally with pictures!  It was very kind of you to make this for us.  ;)  You're hired.   ;) :-* ;) :-* ;) :-* ;)

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Squibbey
Silver Member

MOREHOUSE, VOL. FIREMEN ADK.MT OF N.Y

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »

very very cool my wife printed it all out on monday and went in the shop and i have not seen her yet..................hope everythings ok   lol        great job  thanks

scotty 39

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »

That is cool. Thanks.
RoyalOaksTaxidermy
Platinum Member

Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 12:58:39 AM »

Ohhh man I cant wait to try this out on some elk sheds..  You make it look so easy...

My name is Rae :)
 I'm located in Elk Grove, California
Specialize in mammals.
Uncle Harley
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »

Ohhh man I cant wait to try this out on some elk sheds..  You make it look so easy...

you will crap when you realize how easy it is to assemble them   The difference between a lamp and a good lamp is how well you hide your holes  but that really can't be taught  It's like painting repairs  you can be shown how but you either got it or you don't 

Check out my newest reflective eyes!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iHPa8lLLSo
sarahdj
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »

Thanks soooo much for this one!

When my feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh crap- she's up!";)
bnew17
Bronze Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 02:47:20 PM »

how did you mount the lamp shade? maybe i missed it where you said it?
Uncle Harley
Platinum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:18 PM »

how did you mount the lamp shade? maybe i missed it where you said it?

I didn't I put it on just like you would any other lamp shade there is a little screw on the top of the harp on some  others just slide over the socket before you put a bulb in them depends on what lamp kit you get

redbluffcustoms
Platinum Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 09:00:08 AM »

nice tutorial uncle harley, i read about it in some old taxidermy lesson books i have, great to see it come to life, and also, great lamps!!

Comander an Chief of RedNeck Moffia, Redbluff Deiv.
Tyler J
Bronze Member

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »

great tutorial, hit eveythign right on the knob

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all outa gum!"  - Duke Nukem
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: How to build an antler lamp « previous next »
Jump to: