Organizing a shop/work area
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 07:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1572149 Posts in 184481 Topics by 41992 Members
Latest Member: Dockrat
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Organizing a shop/work area « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Organizing a shop/work area  (Read 2567 times)
ReporterSr
Platinum Member

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

« on: August 01, 2008, 11:46:44 AM »

Everyone,

I'm new to working with skulls, fleshed and not, and at this point have all  my work in my home office where computer, printer, desks, office supplies, etc., compete with chemicals, tools, and bones. I'm thinking about setting up a shop in my basement where there is a work bench and wash sink.

I'm interested in all your ideas including photos of your work areas. How go you organize everything? I know many of you are proud of your work and your shops, Before I set anything up permanently (and deal with my other half) I'd like to see how you are tackling what isn't an easy undertaking.

Again, thanks in advance for your help. You are a great bunch.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
Northern Skulls
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:41:12 PM »

Hey RSr, heres a few pics of my skull cleaning n bug room, it is 10'x16'.  I have a couple cupboards to keep alot of the chemicals and tools i use in so nothin is just layin around, thats the first pic.  The next is my bug box, a small freezer i am turnin into a degreasing box.  3rd pic is a countertop that spans the whole 10' across the back, and a big freezer that will be a bigger beetle home in the future. Last pic is of a table that i lay some of the heads on for customer pickup, and display.  All the pics are from the door looking in, i also have a small skull display shelf on the far end that can hold about 50 heads, then hang bigger ones on the open wall space.  I hope this helps, if u'd like more details, pm me!

* IMG00066.jpg (80.32 kB, 1280x1024 - viewed 569 times.)

* IMG00067.jpg (73.23 kB, 1280x1024 - viewed 580 times.)
Northern Skulls
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:42:16 PM »

The other 2 pics

* IMG00068.jpg (69.13 kB, 1280x1024 - viewed 537 times.)

* IMG00069.jpg (69.89 kB, 1280x1024 - viewed 565 times.)
ReporterSr
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:18:23 AM »

Very, very nice. I'm jealous!

AndyB
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »

I don't have pictures, I would get them but I had surgery and cant walk that good yet. My shop is in my basement. So here is a drawing of it. Also if you have the room make the shop as big as you can because it still will not be big enough.

* shop drawing.JPG (23.44 kB, 425x401 - viewed 551 times.)

There\'s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright -1955
Zoo: An excellent place to study the habits of human beings. -Evan Esar
\"He who laughs last didn\'t get it.\" Helen Giangregorio
ReporterSr
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:30:01 AM »

I appreciate the diagram. I hope you mend quickly and return to negotiating the basement stairs asap.

My biggest problem at this junction is my boyfriend. Hr objects to the various odors. How do you deal with that issue? Or, do you live alone and don't have this problem?

wbd
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:33:44 AM »

If you have enough space you could try to use a double door, to create a small hallway. Of you could just hang some airrefresh stuff like the ones you put use in the bathroom or something like that.

I've also been told that is helps to burn candles near the floor. 'Smelly' air tends to accumulate at a lower level and the candles 'burn' the smell..

Or you could try to put your smelly area's near a window and buy your boyfriends tickets for a sports game or something every once in a while and do the smelly work while he's gone  :P
Wildside
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:36:31 AM »

How do you deal with that issue? Or, do you live alone and don't have this problem?

I also wondered about this.  Do you exhaust the whole room or just the bug enclosure?  How do you keep any bugs out of you work area if you are doing other taxidermy?
AndyB
Gold Member

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:41:53 PM »

I don't live by myself so i had to make it so my MOM would not smell it. I have a wooden board over the tanks they have a muffin fan over the hole then i have the aluminum hose pipe stuff that attaches tot the fan and then i have a wooden board on my window with a dryer vent on the outside. I wish i could take pictures because i don't think i am giving good enough detail i will see what i can do for you.

There\'s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright -1955
Zoo: An excellent place to study the habits of human beings. -Evan Esar
\"He who laughs last didn\'t get it.\" Helen Giangregorio
ReporterSr
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 08:16:20 AM »

The BF and I have our heads together now, and he's coming around to the idea of a workshop in the basement. At he very least, the undertaking will get us to clean out of all the junk that's cluttering up the place.

Northern Skulls
Silver Member

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 03:10:21 AM »

The basement would be ok, its just nice to have the smell and bugs in a room of their own, away from your living area.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Organizing a shop/work area « previous next »