Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 03:34:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609318 Posts in 189945 Topics by 42995 Members
Latest Member: Grant222
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Full Time business « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Full Time business  (Read 1280 times)
aero
Bronze Member

« on: September 05, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »

How many years did most of you work taxidermy part time before going full time.

As always, I know this is a subjective question, since variables include economy, location, family business, etc.
From what i have read, and heard, this could range from 1 year to several years. And yes, I know it depends on the quality of your work.....

If you think about it, taxidermists are a lot like doctors, in that we are continually "practicing" what we do.  Never have gotten over the "practicing" medicine, lol.

Russ of V.O.W.T
Platinum Member

my Ken Edwards moment

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »

as soon as i was in my shop and doing ANY work, people started coming in and wanting to drop stuff off, from the time i opened my door, to full time was less than 6 months, I held a part time job at a pro shop selling fishing gear during that 6 months, and didnt want to quit it, but i had so much work show up, i couldnt do anything but leave and take the full time plunge. been full time for 5 years or so now, Russ

Visions of Wildlife Taxidermy Studio
102 Laray St.
Cassville Missouri 65625
aero
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:22:59 PM »

Hey Russ, good to hear from ya. Hope things are going well for you. Did you get my emails?
Missouri Creek Studio
Platinum Member

Black buck Walnut pedestal

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:19:10 PM »

Aero:
You asked yourself the right questions......do you have a spouse with a job that provides Health Ins or backup income. Your quality and location have bearing as well as does the avalibility of game or fish. Will you be able to generate the income to meet your obligations and life syle????
aero
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »

Well, for me, sooner or later you have to make the leap "of faith". As they always say, nobody will run your business, like you will run your business. Just have to get over the "fear factor".
HOLMES
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:30:53 PM »

Aero:
You asked yourself the right questions......do you have a spouse with a job that provides Health Ins or backup income. Your quality and location have bearing as well as does the avalibility of game or fish. Will you be able to generate the income to meet your obligations and life syle????

The devil made me do it the first time, but the second time I did it on my own.............
Jim Tucker
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 11:13:25 PM »

I went full time by accident.  It wasn't really a choice.  However if my wife did not have our health insurance I would have gave up years ago.

I am not one to be putting in 80+ hours a week.

OHIO TAXIDERMISTS ASSOCIATION - www.ohiotaxidermists.com
Russ of V.O.W.T
Platinum Member

my Ken Edwards moment

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:38:28 PM »

no , i havent gotten any emails in a week or two, since i sent you a return email with pricing and all.  IF you sent any since then, you might resend them, as i didnt get them.  hope all is well for you, Russ

Visions of Wildlife Taxidermy Studio
102 Laray St.
Cassville Missouri 65625
RoyalOaksTaxidermy
Platinum Member

Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:12:03 AM »

Im kinda like Russ.. Opened the doors and it started... Some days I have very little to do... others days there ist enough time in the day...

It wasnt a bad start last year.. but already I have more people stopping in and calling so my name and quality has gotten noticed now... Got one in from a guy that lives out of state even LOL.. Kinda cool :)

My name is Rae :)
 I'm located in Elk Grove, California
Specialize in mammals.
Nate Miller
Gold Member

Wildmarsh

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 03:10:37 AM »

I'm going full time here in a week. "Scared as heck too!!" Thats why sitting here typing this at 2:oo a.m. Been at it part time for five years now. Found a store front on a major highway with a bait shop, big game registration and convenience store all in the same parking lot. Not to mention a 35mph speed zone and a set of stoplights right there so people can see the 8ft lighted sign thats going above my door this week. This better work out or I'm sure its the big "D" for me, and not dallas either.

Wildmarsh Taxidermy
Merrifield, Mn
218-851-5817  www.wildmarshtaxidermy.com<br /
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Full Time business « previous next »