Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 07:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605145 Posts in 189335 Topics by 42855 Members
Latest Member: ShawnNicole
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: average taxidermist income « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: average taxidermist income  (Read 5803 times)
Natgearman

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 08:07:45 PM »

Thank you Mr. T that was  exactly what I thought.  This guy is a pretty good guy, but he runs his mouth way to much, for someone that's been doing taxidermy
a very very short time.

Proud Member : ATA; OKTA; NTA; UTA; DU; Delta Waterfowl; NWTF; NRA
tic
Silver Member

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 08:14:01 PM »

Ive been doing taxidermy for 6 years. Thats not a very very short time. Last year was the first year I worked for my self. As far as running my mouth, You can read EVERY thing I have ever said on here and talk to evry person I have ever delt with. Tell me if you can find one single person that will say I have talked bad about ANY taxidermist. You wont find anything or anybody that will say Ive ever bad-mouthed ANYBODY. I will never do that. To me, that is low-class and does nobody any good. By-the-way. I sent you a PM.

Gun control means hitting what your aiming at.
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 08:18:24 PM »

You wont find anything or anybody that will say Ive ever bad-mouthed ANYBODY. I will never do that. To me, that is low-class and does nobody any good. By-the-way. I sent you a PM.

I am happy with this area. I can do better work than alot of these other guys. I will keep doing good work. These guys that are putting out crap will loose some of there business to me.

LOW-CLASS!!!!!  LOW-CLASS!!!!!  LOW-CLASS!!!!!  LOW-CLASS!!!!!

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
tre
Bronze Member

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »

lmao M.P!! :D
bill@hogheaven
Platinum Member

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »

You certainly summed that up Mike.

Hog Heaven
Wholesale Boar Taxidermy
35771 Jackson II Road
Carthage, N.Y. 13619
tic
Silver Member

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »

I NEVER said any names and for the record, Natgearman is not one of the guys that I was talking about.

Gun control means hitting what your aiming at.
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 08:36:39 PM »

I NEVER said any names and for the record, Natgearman is not one of the guys that I was talking about.

It's a small world after all....it's a small world after all...it's a small small world!!

Come on "tic"...sing along!!

it's a world of laughter, a world or tears
its a world of hopes, its a world of fear
theres so much that we share
that its time we're aware
its a small world after all

CHORUS:
its a small, small world

There is just one moon and one golden sun
And a smile means friendship to everyone.
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide
It's a small small world

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
300savage
Platinum Member

Life Is Good

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 09:03:55 PM »

damn it mike now Im singing it
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 10:48:06 PM »

Mike, you always make things interesting around here. Now that was funny!(LOL) Everybody sing now!

coues_deer
Bronze Member

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2008, 10:50:53 PM »

TIC - That thinking ($75.00 cost) is just whats wrong with this business. You are forgetting electricity, lights, place to work, insurance, telephone, vehicle, advertising.................................With the talent many taxidermists have this should be a respected profession.......................instead we go backwards on this topic. Its ground hog day everyday for taxidermy.
Rooster
Platinum Member

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 10:58:43 PM »

Post pics of some of your work and let it be judged by other professionals

bw
Platinum Member

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 11:20:16 PM »

Dang it....i thought this post was headed in a good direction.  Shoot!!
James Parrish
Platinum Member

Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »

Ok, heres another question for ya. If you do your own tanning, after you pay for everything to mount a deer, you have around $75 invested, more-or-less. If you charged smoething like $375, you could do 4 deer a week and still be doing pretty good. Thats $1200 per week. I know there is other things to consider, like taxes,and other things. If you could do that for 40 weeks, that would be $48,000 just from deer. Plus, you would have other stuff like fish and birds. that comes to 160 deer per year. You think thats posible only being part-time?

You can't do 4 deer a week, every week, part-time if you have a full-time job and /or a family.  I do 100 pieces per year part-time and that is about all I can do....and I send all my tanning out.  Even if you do your own tanning, you can't do a deer head for $75.  The mannikin, glue, eyes, bondo, clay, shipping, paint, apoxie sculpt, scalpel blades, etc. will cost at least that much.  Then, you have to figure in the rest of your costs.  The last time I checked, the light bill wasn't free.  Neither were property or income taxes.  How about shop rent...even if you own it, the business needs to pay you for rent on the building.  How about taxidermy licenses, attending conventions, magazine subscriptions (Breakthrough/Taxidermy Today), Association dues, etc.?  Do you want to have a retirement?  If so, that needs to be added on to the cost of producing a mount.  How about health insurance?  If you want it, then you need to tack that cost on to the cost of each mount.  After all that, there is your labor.  The absolute best I can do if I tan my own capes is 7 hours in a deer mount....but it usually is more like 8 hrs.  I pay myself $35 per hour, so figure $245-280 in labor costs.  Add all that up and you have what it costs you to produce a mount.  Then, you need to add profit on top of that.  Yes, I said profit.  Every successful business must make a profit and what you pay yourself isn't profit, its wages.  Profit is what the business uses to stay afloat during lean times or to buy new equipment or to upgrade facilities.  If you have a lot of profit in the bank, you can pay yourself a bonus at Christmas.  Until you understand all this and are willing to charge appropriately for your work, your business is doomed to fail.  The successful taxidermists are the ones that have learned how to run a business. 

"Open a can of bondo breathe deep and remember why you got into this business in the first place."   TnT

http://www.newlifetaxidermy.com/blog  Visit my blog for taxidermy tips and tutorials.
B2L
Gold Member

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2008, 08:36:54 AM »

Mike - its sounds like you mangae money like I do.. It hits my pocket then someones hand:/  This will all be play money... I can finally get some good hunting in... ! and maybe be less cheap and stay with an outfitter instead of sleeping in my jeep all the time.. 6 nights in the front of a wrangler in Osceola County Fl. gets a little stiffening after awhile.. not to mention the now showering for 7 day thing:) 
I know taxidermists in my area make pretty good money.. The one i spent some time with thsi year said 100 deer will make him 35k.. He took in 176... ~ 30 bears and prb. 40-50 other things.. so hes doing alrigth:)
Eric

"Open your eyes, open your heart.  I have met great people and seen great country while turkey hunting.  Take it all in because you never know when we're going to leave this earth." - Preston Pittman
Becky P
Platinum Member

One must believe the glass is half full.

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2008, 08:42:55 AM »

By the time you deduct EVERYTHING you should be deducting out of that $12,000, you'll be in the hole.Trust me.
Also remember, you have to also PAY yourself just as if you would be paying an employee. Suppose you charge 300 and after you take out 250 for ALL expenses/insurance/utilities/Uncle Sam/retirement/etc, I bet you think you just made $50, right?  WRONG!!! Have you paid your "employee" - you - yet? OK, so you pay yourself the $50. Let's see, for ten hours work you get $2/hour. That's nice pay - not. Oh, and then where's the "profit"? There is none, you just paid yourself $2/hour and have not made a penny.

www.beckyswildlifestudio.com
Accepting wholesale work - birds, lifesize, gameheads.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: average taxidermist income « previous next »