Boiling Elk skulls
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 10:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625272 Posts in 192470 Topics by 43494 Members
Latest Member: fishmicon
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Boiling Elk skulls « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Boiling Elk skulls  (Read 5503 times)
IAtaxi
Silver Member

« on: September 24, 2008, 10:50:26 AM »

These will be my first elk skulls,  I've done around 20 deer europeans so I know the boiling process.  However I did all those in the house on the stove, and P'd off the wife on everyone of those.  So what I'm looking for if you guys could share what you use for outdoor boiling and where you can get them.  I'm probably gonna need some kinda of a big square pot, and I just assume go electric over gas for heat.

I need to get to these in a day or two or people in this house will start vomiting everytime they walk in the garage, know what I'm saying? ;)

Also I'm guessing the ivorys will fall off in the boiling process?

paulke6
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »

get a fryer for frying turkeys or fish and you will have to get a bottle of propane and then boil away.  I have not boiled an elk skull but have done a few red stag's which are close and I used a galvanized water tub (the smaller oval one which big skull will fit in it nicely) you can get at home depot or lowes.  and the ivory will come out when you boil them then you can just glue them back in.

Scott
Fritz
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »

I won't even get into the don't boil simmer thing, but take it from experience...take out the ivories BEFORE you simmer. I wrote a demo of hoe to do the ivory removal but it's been awhile so here goes again.
Get a 1"x1"x12" piece of hardwood. I use oak cuz that's what I had. Lay the wood along the jaw line of the elk and place one end of the wood against the ivory. It helps if you dremel out a groove for the ivory to lay into. Hold the wood steady against the ivory and smack the other end of the wood with a hammer. If you have everything right the ivory will just roll out. I've removed literally thousands of ivories this way at our processing plant and I have never broken one...yet! To picture this, the end of the wood is sticking out past the nose line of the elk and the other end is against the ivory. simple and easy. Once you do it this way you will never go back to digging them out. If you get them too hot in the simmer they can crack, so I take them out before. Hope this helps.
I also had a welder friend of mine make me a simmer pot to fit my 2 burner stove. Nice big handles and I can get 4 deer or 2 elk in it. Good luck
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »

Ditto on the turkey fryer and a galvanized trash can :)

IAtaxi
Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:20 PM »

It never fails the easiest things I think are to do end up being the hardest.  I searched the whole fricken town for pots big enough and galvanized garbage cans. >:(  Nothing.  My garage smells like ass! :'(

Guess I'll do some more looking tommorow, fricken unreal! 

Bobbym1232
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:03:36 PM »

Get a 50 gal drum (a cleaned one!) and cut it in half.  I simmer all my large deer/elk/etc. in this since I too can't seem to find a pot big enough.  After a while it will start to rust, just replace it.

Bobby

Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 05:46:38 PM »

Not even at the hardware or farm/feed store? Have to have rodent proof cans for feed somewhere?????

IAtaxi
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:49:19 PM »

I found one this morning at Tractor Supply it was just the right size, for 2 elk heads.  It's called a galvanized wash tub for 20$.   Also bought a turkey fryer to heat it with.  9hrs later and both heads are clean and my garage no longer smells like crap(actually at one time today I had a complete acre smelling like death warming).  I feel like I accomplished something today. ;)  I hate roadblocks.  Thanks for the tips guys!

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Boiling Elk skulls « previous next »