Mounting my bull antlers
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 08:43:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1624659 Posts in 192376 Topics by 43475 Members
Latest Member: msneath
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Mounting my bull antlers « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mounting my bull antlers  (Read 1644 times)
Dick Cress

« on: September 26, 2008, 01:04:41 AM »

I was lucky enough to take a nice 5X5 Bull Elk this season. However, I need to mount my own antlers. I boiled the skull cap thoroughly in water (I added 3 Tbsp Bleach to the 2 gallons of water after removing the pot from the heat and allowed it to set for 15 minutes). I removed all skin, flesh, and membranes. There is still a bit of rotten flesh odor . . . not bad but it is there nonetheless.

I am looking for recommendations on how to further clean and preserve my treasure. I presume that borax is probably the solution . . . so are there simple instructions for a non taxidermist old guy to do this job right?

Dick
changboy
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 04:57:51 AM »

dick you need to go down to skulls and skeletons,  First bleach is not what your looking for, liquid dawn is a degrease cleaner.  If your looking to get all of the meat off it's maceration or bugs.
buckslayer
Gold Member

Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:39:21 AM »

Dick are you doing an antler mount or a skull mount if you are just doing an antler mount and the skull cap is clean you are done and you can mount it but if you are doing a skull mount you will need to macerate or beetle clean the skull then degrease it and whiten it also post this in the skulls section and they will be able to tell you any other tricks or tips as well

Jesse Carr
Realistic Wildlife Taxidermy
Saratoga, NY
(518)695-3858
Dick Cress

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »

I am doiing just the antler mount. We just sawed off the skull cap off leaving the antlers intact.The skull cap is very clean but still has the odor mentioned earlier; I have the antlers in my livingroom and the odor is not that bad.

I have Dawn Detergent and can soak the skull cap as long as necessary. Are there any recommendations as to how much Dawn to use and how long it might take.

I'll check out Skulls and Skeletons.
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »

Let it dry a day or two, can you wait that long? The oder will go away when it is completely dry, then proceed.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
Dick Cress

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 06:21:27 PM »

Awesome it has been soaking in a bucket of Dawn Detergent for some 5 hours now . . . so I'll pull it out, rinse it well and have patience.

This was a gift from God . . . I have been bowhunting for 43 years and I worked long and hard for this opportunity and I hope to proudly display the result. Not every 70 year old dude has the opportunity that I was given.
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:32:54 PM »

As long as it is dry, and you have removed everything below the burrs with a dremel grinder or some other tool, you really do not need to do any extra steps, just let it dry.

Dick Cress

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »

The odor is disipating just fine. Thanks for all your help.

Now I have another question. Turpentine is not readily available in my area of Western Washington State but since I paint in Oil, I do have linseed oil.I have wiped the antlers down a little and have them looking awesome! If WD-40 allows the antlers to collect dust what other coatings can be used. I did see one thread where it was recommended to use acrylic floor polish and another advised using Nothing.

I look forward to your replies.
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »

WD-40 doesn't last long, Linseed oil will turn them yellow, and so will acrilic floor polish over time. Varnish is old school, defenently wouldn't use that. Linseed oil will make black horn look super.  If I would use linseed oil, I would cut it way down, 75% thinner, 25% oil, and it may still turns some antlers yellow. I think a good wash of soap and water, let dry, then a very thin layer of matt finish from a spray bomb, key words, very lightly.

Dick Cress

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »

In my oil painting supplies I have a purified Linseed Oil but use Mineral Spirits to clean my brushes and thin my paints. I am wondering whether a 75% mixture of Mineral Spirits and 25% Linseed Oil would work. Then just wipe it on very lightly.

Absent that I am thinking of nothing because they look great the way they are and I wouldn't want to mess up a work of natural art.

Any thoughts?
oneshot
Gold Member

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 09:56:55 PM »

Use 50 percent linseed oil and 50 percent turpentine. Wipe it on and wipe it off. You will like it. You can buy boith at home depot in small containers.
Oneshot.
Dick Cress

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »

I'll check Home Depot out then. I found a place for both locally but the price including tax of around $18.00 to $20.00 was more than I wanted to spend.

Thank you.
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 10:33:03 PM »

Dick, the linseed oil will yellow the antler, along with the turpentine. I was a believer of the mix until it stung me. It yellowed a rack before my eyes, thats the last time I will use that mix.

Dick Cress

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 12:17:52 AM »

I have decided to keep the antlers Natural.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Mounting my bull antlers « previous next »