Blood stained horns
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 06:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1618148 Posts in 191254 Topics by 43230 Members
Latest Member: heatherpatton
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Blood stained horns « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blood stained horns  (Read 3214 times)
silage

« on: September 11, 2006, 10:29:21 PM »

My uncle recently shot a caribou (10 days) that was in velvet. The antlers were still somewhat soft and bloody. His guides told him it was expensive to preserve velvet so they peeled it off and set it in a lake for a few days. Now he cant get rid of the blood in the antlers. What can he do to get rid of the blood and should he let it dry longer? jkunze@ictc.com
Jim B
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 10:40:30 PM »

Throwing them in the lake was the proper way but it takes a lot longer to get it all out.You need to find a safe place where you can soak them for a few months and it will gradually leach out.They will then be very light colored and can be stained back.If the blood is allowed to dry like that,they are very blotchy and stain won't cover it.The blood can also attract bugs to the mount.I'm in the same boat.i just got one in that was stripped and they could only soak it for one day before flying out.I'm going to have to soak it for some time to get it all out.Good luck with it.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 10:56:32 PM »

IF the antlers are split and you can find a container big enough to hold them, cover them with water with SALT added. Much like you do on fresh meat or fish, soaking them in salt water will accelerate the leeching out of the blood.  As Jim said, this will take weeks and not a few days.  You're still likely going to have to hang them in a loft or attic to allow them to dry properly.  Once dry, they will require finishing and those steps are hopefully available in the archives.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
hambone
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:06:45 AM »

Place two large plastic garbage cans side by side and fill with warm water to dilute the salt you need to add, when cool put one antler in each container
JayTax

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 01:38:43 PM »

I just put use a wire wheel on a drill to take the blood off, and it preps for staining at the same time.  However, if you are not going to stain this is not the way.
Jim B
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 05:13:42 PM »

Thanks for the salt tip George.I wonder if Cecil would let me use his pond?
silage

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 10:46:42 PM »

Thank you all for your recommendations!!
Alex Sr
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 06:05:54 PM »

Try plenty of hydrogen peroxide and a soft brush and that will remove most of the blood
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 06:16:23 PM by Alex Sr » Logged

Yep Am real and Real trouble.
Jims Wildlife Studio
Platinum Member

Full Time PA Taxidermist

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 09:56:05 PM »

I agree with Alex SR Peroxide and a soft brush and keep aplying and removing this will get most of the blood out. However it should have been soaked in a  lake after the velvet was stripped off. This will make it more difficult but will get most of the blood out. Good Luck.

Jims Wildlife Studio
158 Cemetery Street                                                                                                      
Archbald, PA. 18403
(484) 239-1275
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Blood stained horns « previous next »