maceration trouble
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 08:33:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619780 Posts in 191536 Topics by 43289 Members
Latest Member: BobnJake
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: maceration trouble « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: maceration trouble  (Read 1712 times)
TK5028

« on: December 22, 2006, 02:48:30 PM »

Hi guys. I have had my deer skull in a 10 gallon tank with a 300W heater in for three weeks now. It is almost clean. However it does have some bits and pieces still on. My question is this, How long can I leave it in before it starts to destroy the skull. It is taken longer because I am in Nebraska and the weather is fairly cold and the heater only keeps it up to about 70 degrees. I just don't want to leave it in too long. Would boiling it for just 10 minutes or so help? Thanks in advance.

Becky P
Platinum Member

One must believe the glass is half full.

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 04:02:20 PM »

I've had some skulls that took several months to get completely clean.

www.beckyswildlifestudio.com
Accepting wholesale work - birds, lifesize, gameheads.
jwj4856
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 04:24:16 PM »

herre in Louisiana at this time of year it always takes between 6 and 8 weeks to completely clean and never had any skull damage yet.

Double J Taxidermy
Shreveport, LA
Roadkill
Gold Member

Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 10:17:25 PM »

Before putting the skulls in to the water to macerate, remove everything that you can. The less flesh that is on the skull, the faster it will clean up.
As for the little bits, you can boil it now for a little while and remove them. It is your skull to do with what you want. A quick boil and cleaning will probably help finish it.

Lets go hunting !!!!!!!
TK5028

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 10:18:37 AM »

Hey thanks. I decided not to boil it. I just put it back in the water for a few days and everything came right off. Now it is just on to the degreaseing stage.

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: maceration trouble « previous next »