What state has the biggest bodied deer?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 09:08:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1571650 Posts in 184399 Topics by 41978 Members
Latest Member: gordovamila982
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: What state has the biggest bodied deer? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: What state has the biggest bodied deer?  (Read 6777 times)
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 01:21:30 PM »

You guys keep this up and somebody's going to tell a damned lie.  A 32 inch whitetail TIGHT under the jaw?  PULEEZE.  And I don't buy the cornbelt states either. Sure, they may have an odd deer or two that are fat, but the truly big deer are going to come from the northern tier because of the RULE.  It's called Bergmann's Rule and it states:

In zoology, Bergmann's rule is an ecogeographic rule that correlates latitude with body mass in animals. Broadly it asserts that within a species the body mass increases with latitude and colder climate, or that within closely related species that differ only in relation to size that one would expect the larger species to be found at the higher latitude. The rule is named after a nineteenth-century German biologist, Christian Bergmann, who first formulated the rule in 1847. The rule is often applied only to mammals and birds (endotherms), but some researchers have also found evidence for the rule in studies of ectothermic species.

That means that OVERALL, you can expect to see larger mass deer from the most northerly climes than the southern ones.  Big deer come from the Dakotas, Minnesota, Michigan and if you can find them, northern Maine.  That's exactly why you go to Canada to find the large deer.

Delaware has the northern tier strain here but it's obviously a bit diluted.  My pet deer Willow, in his prime, weighted in a bit over 325 live weight and during the full rut had a 24 inch neck TIGHT BEHIND THE JAW.  To get some idea, take a fabric tape measure and put the tip on the 24 inch mark and hold it up.  Then move it to 32 and see what a virtual COW any whitetail would have had to be to measure that much.  I'm not saying it's a lie, but if it isn't, it's a damned good way to get one started.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »

And I thought everything was bigger in Texas ???

Only if you ask a Texan ;).
I agree on Northern Maine. My grandfather used to live in Farmington and the deer were almost as big as the moose :D
Greg Livbucks
Platinum Member

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »

Maine has absolute monster deer, body mass that is.
George beat me to it. Go north for big bodied deer.
Antler size is not affected so much by Bergman's IMO.

When our founders came here they musta been crazy to cross the ocean without insurance.
elkevo
Platinum Member

Tailgate Bucks

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »

Northern Montana, Pan Handle of Idaho right up there next to the Canadian Border if you want to just stay in the old USA, otherwise go on over the line into Alberta or British Columbia. They get real big up north just before the rut and during the rut, but not much thereafter.

You have a life, defend it well.
Brian Claar
Platinum Member

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 02:01:13 PM »

This was a surprise to me.  Yesterday a guy showed up with an 8 pt killed on the Eastern shore of Md area (Queen Annes  #17) and it has a 22" neck tight.  He claims to have seen many big bucks in that area.

Vice President PTA, UTA MEMBER , VTA WVTA, OTA, MTA,  TTA
 My son and his first Flounder

http://www.commercialwebbing.com/heather.html
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »

Brian, you need to visit us down on the Delmarva.  We have deer that PA guys dream of seeing.  Queen Anne's, Kent (MD) coupled with New Castle, Kent and Sussex in Delaware produce some real hogs.  I have about 10 deer of the 40 I've gotten so far this year with 21-22 inch necks.  Got one in today with a 21 taken by a 13 year old that field dressed 185.  Have a couple that are 23-24 that were over 220 field dressed.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Bowtech

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, I just want to see that big freak lying on the ground. Big as a canoe. I can't tell yet where to go to. I'll keep reading up on it. I killed one last year 234 pounds but I want a BIG one. Thanks Rick..
Rickey you are a big freak, we need to go stick some Kudus
kevin scott
Gold Member

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 06:52:55 PM »

I watched an official weigh in last week , the buck dressed 291 lbs ! It is now the 2nd buck ever recorded here in KENTUCKY . The neck was only 24in over the hair .

Kevin Scott
CHT
Platinum Member

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »

I watched an official weigh in last week , the buck dressed 291 lbs ! It is now the 2nd buck ever recorded here in KENTUCKY . The neck was only 24in over the hair .
ONLY 24" ???

The only thing that stands between a person and what they want in life are the will to try, and the faith to believe it is possible.       RICH DEVOS
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »

I hear alot of guys coming into the shop measuring the neck over the hair and 9 out of 10 times, they measure it mid-neck. We all know(I hope) that is about of false measurement as you can get. In all the years I have been doing this, the biggest neck came in the other day at 27" behind the ears on the meat. This buck litterally had no visible jawline. I will post some pics in a few months when he is done, truely a real pig.

John C
Platinum Member

Hell's coming and I am coming with it.

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 03:28:28 PM »

HUnt Kansas for good sized deer. Your chances as good there as anywhere. The great plains has some hard winters. and the deer in  Kansas and  Nebraska have no place to hide. Plus planty of grain. Plus this year there were a lot of left over tags!!!

It could take years no matter where you hunt to find one over 400lbs and you may never see one that big outside of a pen.

So those who dont think is gets cold in Kansas, go try it the first week in Decemeber. Those on here from Kansas will tell you 20 degrees and a 35mph wind is nothing to lol at.

http://www.ksr.ku.edu/libres/Mammals_of_Kansas/odo-virgini.html

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/wildlife/wtdeer.asp

http://www.iowadnr.gov/wildlife/files/trpdeer.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 03:40:01 PM by John C » Logged

Skilled labor is not cheap. Cheap labor is not skilled.
Durbins Taxidermy
Silver Member

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »

The further north you go the bigger they get. Everything up north is bigger.

Donnie Durbin
Durbins Taxidermy
ed150
Platinum Member

deer city time

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2008, 06:04:17 PM »

we get some hoss deer in indiana,but north is wear the biggest grow,best we saw at our check station was 325 not dressed,we have scales and weigh deer for clients ,most mature deer weigh in at about 200 dressed

i wana hunt
Brian Claar
Platinum Member

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »

Brian, you need to visit us down on the Delmarva.  We have deer that PA guys dream of seeing.  Queen Anne's, Kent (MD) coupled with New Castle, Kent and Sussex in Delaware produce some real hogs.  I have about 10 deer of the 40 I've gotten so far this year with 21-22 inch necks.  Got one in today with a 21 taken by a 13 year old that field dressed 185.  Have a couple that are 23-24 that were over 220 field dressed.

Is that an invite?

I was very impressed with the size of that deer.    

Vice President PTA, UTA MEMBER , VTA WVTA, OTA, MTA,  TTA
 My son and his first Flounder

http://www.commercialwebbing.com/heather.html
PacWest Alaska
Platinum Member

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2008, 06:09:12 PM »

My pick is Iowa.  Big capes on every mature deer.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: What state has the biggest bodied deer? « previous next »